Volockies

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, john6767 said:

it seems so obvious, but they and he lost out on the opportunity due to this poor planning.

Proper Planning and Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance

36 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I enjoy your posts because they are knowledgeable and argued with a bold style, but on this topic you seem to me to be in a world of your own.

Is it coz I is a single-hander?

Oh no, shirley shome mishtake!

• Greenie 1

In all our years of boating, we have only ever met one single hander,  who in a very rude and surly manner refused assistance.

I believe the reality of boating, is again slightly at odds with experiences outlined here.

Rog

Edited by dogless

10 minutes ago, dogless said:

In all our years of boating, we have only ever met one single hander,  who in a very rude and surly manner refused assistance.

I believe the reality of boating, is again slightly at odds with experiences outlined here.

Rog

I met 3 on the Grand Union all sharing the same lock, lucky I didn't bugger off so I was there to do something when one of the tillers got caught  on the bottom gate as they came up and not one of them noticed. They didn't mind me helping then.

10 minutes ago, dogless said:

On 23/07/2017 at 22:47, dogless said:

Sublimely ambiguous.

Have you in all your years of boating only met one single hander? In which case it must be me and I'm sure at the time you didn't perceive me as rude and surly.

Or do you mean out of all the single handers you meet there has only bin one rude and surly? This seems more likely...

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, dogless said:

Rog

That must have been the same one we met on the Audlem flight yesterday who was not a happy chappy.

I was attempting to say (very poorly) that only on one occasion has an offer of assistance been declined.

Someone reading this thread could mistakenly believe lock areas are 'war zones' where the clash of differing methods and practices, result in conflict.

Usually they're great places for a chat.

I do not like the modern way, where everyone stands by their boat until their turn. It seems to me this thread is encouraging that.

Rog

• Greenie 1

On 24/07/2017 at 09:21, dogless said:

I was attempting to say (very poorly) that only on one occasion has an offer of assistance been declined.

Someone reading this thread could mistakenly believe lock areas are 'war zones' where the clash of differing methods and practices, result in conflict.

Usually they're great places for a chat.

I do not like the modern way, where everyone stands by their boat until their turn. It seems to me this thread is encouraging that.

Rog

And therein lies a particular danger for the single hander. 

My boat has twice now got snagged in a gate. On both occasions I noticed later than I otherwise would have, had I not been distracted by people engaging me in conversation whilst locking. No-one else on the scene looking out for my boat, see? 

This makes me particularly wary and focussed when solo locking when lots of people are about. Being reluctant to engage properly in chatting when locking probably makes me come across as being a bit distant or unfriendly.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps our boat being 55ft means being in a normal lock isn't quite such a risky business.

I find crossing roads infinitely more risky than locking.

Generally I find locking very pleasurable (maybe less so in rain and snow) and sensible awareness is sufficient to operate them safely.

Mind you I have so far avoided anyone demanding to be in charge and shouting rules ;)

Rog

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And therein lies a particular danger for the single hander. 

My boat has twice now got snagged in a gate. On both occasions I noticed later than I otherwise would have, had I not been distracted by people engaging me in conversation whilst locking. No-one else on the scene looking out for my boat, see? 

This makes me particularly wary and focussed when solo locking when lots of people are about. Being reluctant to engage properly in chatting when locking probably makes me come across as being a bit distant or unfriendly.

That is the answer, don't take your eye off the boat, even if it makes you look grumpy 

On 19/07/2017 at 11:29, Stilllearning said:

To avoid wear and tear on the front fender, just go to any tyre fitters and blag a go cart or lawn mower tyre  and fit it over your fender.

You don't want to come up with idea's like that, some time back when I suggested similar I was more or less told I was "stupid" by a GRP boat owning "lady" member whose canal boating knowledge is less than she thinks it is

• Greenie 1

On 19/07/2017 at 23:20, matty40s said:

If you are so right about the Atherstone flight, why was the Atherstone wedge invented and why does mine work.

The Atherstone wedge was an invention of those scruffy boaters that used to Too & Fro the waterways in those rusty rotten old working boats trying to "get on " & be able to deliver some totally useless cargo & earn a "few bob" but are now considered to be working locks & performing other canal tasks in a manner that should not be allowed if they do the same routine as employed back in the day & proved to be th most efficient way.

On 19/07/2017 at 23:42, Jerra said:

Sorry the video obviously wasn't in this thread I will have a dig and see if I can find it I saw it only a few days ago.

I have no idea why one would be needed or used.

To get the notorious slow filling Atherstone lock flight to fill quicker, From the days of when time cost money I think the video was of Matt Parrot's motor & Roger Fuller on the butty with a quantity of coal.

Driving a wedge down between the mitred gates was common practice elsewhere, so was ramming the gates against the head of water, thumb lining gates to get them moving and then bouncing them open, sending small boys up cabin chimneys .......

53 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

You don't want to come up with idea's like that, some time back when I suggested similar I was more or less told I was "stupid" by a GRP boat owning "lady" member whose canal boating knowledge is less than she thinks it is

I think I might have been part of that thread.....she wasn't the only one that couldn't see why I had wrapped a reversed tyre tread around my fender.......hey ho!! 

8 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Driving a wedge down between the mitred gates was common practice elsewhere, so was ramming the gates against the head of water, thumb lining gates to get them moving and then bouncing them open, sending small boys up cabin chimneys .......

Surely some mistake here?

56 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I have had the same go-cart tyre on the same front fender for the last 9 years. I'm expecting to get as least as much again

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think I might have been part of that thread.....she wasn't the only one that couldn't see why I had wrapped a reversed tyre tread around my fender.......hey ho!! 

Quite possibly,a practice that had been used for years & was a way of saving boaters a few 'bob' & proved over time it worked, was ridiculed along with me for suggesting it. From some one who has never owned a  narrow boat & makes depariging remarks about them  referring to them as "Sewer Tubes" & has possibly done no / or very small amount of boating on narrow canals (Her prerogative )puts forth posts that show lack of knowledge on that particular subject but keeps wading in as you say  Hey Ho Shame car tyres don't still have fabric casings & were cross ply construction they made the best covers & were easiest to work the wire radials are a bit of a booger.

Anyway, back on the subject, just passed through Hawkesbury / Sutton stop, coming from Nuneaton direction. On arrival, not too busy just one waiting boat in front of the pub and one waiting our side of the roving bridge, a boat coming out around the corner for which I waited before the narrows (and received no acknowledgement of my existence from). As we entered the narrows (first boat having gone into the lock, everyone moving up as you do) up pops a volockie asking me to tie up on the bollards just before the bridge. Well tbh I don't do "tying up" under those circumstances, I just float around, but anyway I have to say I was a bit irritated - I didn't come onto the cut to have some volunteer telling me the bleedin' obvious. I know there are some idiots around who just pile in and cause gridlock, but IMO one should be allowed to do the sensible thing, only be given "instructions" if it's clear you aren't going to.

Actually he was quite a pleasant chap and I did feel slightly guilty after I said to him "what would we do without you?" Like, for the past 

But then again, he obviously liked controlling people and wasn't helping with the actual locking at all.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, back on the subject, just passed through Hawkesbury / Sutton stop, coming from Nuneaton direction. On arrival, not too busy just one waiting boat in front of the pub and one waiting our side of the roving bridge, a boat coming out around the corner for which I waited before the narrows (and received no acknowledgement of my existence from). As we entered the narrows (first boat having gone into the lock, everyone moving up as you do) up pops a volockie asking me to tie up on the bollards just before the bridge. Well tbh I don't do "tying up" under those circumstances, I just float around, but anyway I have to say I was a bit irritated - I didn't come onto the cut to have some volunteer telling me the bleedin' obvious. I know there are some idiots around who just pile in and cause gridlock, but IMO one should be allowed to do the sensible thing, only be given "instructions" if it's clear you aren't going to.

Actually he was quite a pleasant chap and I did feel slightly guilty after I said to him "what would we do without you?" Like, for the past 

But then again, he obviously liked controlling people and wasn't helping with the actual locking at all.

Nick, he probably took you for a hire boat...

:giggles:

• Greenie 1