Volockies

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, DRP said:

So ,this topic started as a discussion on the merits (or otherwise) of volunteer lock keepers, became an opportunity for a few to engage in exchanges of personal abuse (subtly and not so subtly), and has now evolved into an exchange of reminiscences about real ales.

Is that it, then?

Not yet...

Bought some of these the other day to go with my ale, not cheap at £10 for 3 bags when you add postage but man they were good, not a lot in the bag though. 

https://www.wildingsnacks.com/

7 minutes ago, DRP said:

So ,this topic started as a discussion on the merits (or otherwise) of volunteer lock keepers, became an opportunity for a few to engage in exchanges of personal abuse (subtly and not so subtly), and has now evolved into an exchange of reminiscences about real ales.

Is that it, then?

No, there was more. There were also discussions on locking techniques and risk factors versus age.

I'm not sure what your point is. Do you disapprove of the ramblings?

Comming up Llangollen the difference between the CRT lockies and the volunteers was most noticable.CRT people asked if I was ready for them to open the paddles,and chatted as we waited for them to fiil;the volunteers totally ignored me and got on with the job  in silience.I know which I prefer.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, DRP said:

Is that it, then?

I can bring gin, fires and ferrets in to it if you like.  Today our latest rescue ferret was spayed and microchipped, she is currently zonked out in her bed (see picture).  This evening as there is no Scouts, I will be in the garden, Bombay Sapphire and tonic in hand while sitting round a fire.  Short of being on the front of a boat on the canal, this is as good as it gets.

Luna zonked.jpg

Edited by Tawny75
I may have quadruple posted...

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Is that it, then?

No. There are also the posts from people complaining about the topic to which they haven't contributed, going off topic.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No. There are also the posts from people complaining about the topic to which they haven't contributed, going off topic.

And there is also at least one comment from at least one poster about the complaint which has contributed nothing to the thread other than its complaint about the content of this thread.

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Is that it, then?

Well I'm still hoping someone comes up with sexual position 70 for Mac of Cygnet's benefit.

Rog

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And there is also at least one comment from at least one poster about the complaint which has contributed nothing to the thread other than its complaint about the content of this thread.

I must complain! 

Absolutely, yes. I don't know from which generation you come, but when I used to use the pub the landlord was an irascible ex-army sergeant called George Vardy. His main claim to fame was having banned the members of the fledgeling CAMRA group (which was founded in St. Albans) from the pub.

4 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

I can bring gin, fires and ferrets in to it if you like.  Today our latest rescue ferret was spayed and microchipped, she is currently zonked out in her bed (see picture).  This evening as there is no Scouts, I will be in the garden, Bombay Sapphire and tonic in hand while sitting round a fire.  Short of being on the front of a boat on the canal, this is as good as it gets.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ferrets. I had never really been around them until I started as a student veterinary nurse, and I was rather scared of them at first-so fast and full-on and not shy to grab you with their teeth if they want your attention (or to steal your pen...) but now I think they are hilarious little shitbags who will shamelessly steal anything that is not nailed down whilst simultaneously demanding love and attention.

About two months ago I got an automatic CCTV alert in the middle of the night from a clinic that I do one weekend a month on call for-when I viewed the stills of the alert, I found that Festus (who along with a couple of others are clinic pets after being dumped there) had let himself and all of his mates out of the cage for a run around the kennel room...

This is the second time he has done this, the first time the on call nurse decided to leave them to it because there were no inpatients in, and by the morning they had made the pet shop side of the clinic look like it had been burgled, and had stolen and/or ruined most of the dog toys on the display. :D

Festus.jpg

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

This is the second time he has done this, the first time the on call nurse decided to leave them to it because there were no inpatients in, and by the morning they had made the pet shop side of the clinic look like it had been burgled, and had stolen and/or ruined most of the dog toys on the display. :D

I recall with great pleasure a guest lecture in my Psych student days, an Aussie who had tried replicating the standard rat maze-running experiments with ferrets. Much more difficult as they insisted on exploring all arms of the maze every time, an adaptive behaviour for them as rabbits aren't necessarily where they were last time the ferret raided the burrow.

Then they escaped from the animal house and got into the ducted air heating/conditioning system and were liable to appear anywhere in the building... In the end, they had to offer a bounty to the students for captured ferrets.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ferrets. I had never really been around them until I started as a student veterinary nurse, and I was rather scared of them at first-so fast and full-on and not shy to grab you with their teeth if they want your attention (or to steal your pen...) but now I think they are hilarious little shitbags who will shamelessly steal anything that is not nailed down whilst simultaneously demanding love and attention.

About two months ago I got an automatic CCTV alert in the middle of the night from a clinic that I do one weekend a month on call for-when I viewed the stills of the alert, I found that Festus (who along with a couple of others are clinic pets after being dumped there) had let himself and all of his mates out of the cage for a run around the kennel room...

27 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

I recall with great pleasure a guest lecture in my Psych student days, an Aussie who had tried replicating the standard rat maze-running experiments with ferrets. Much more difficult as they insisted on exploring all arms of the maze every time, an adaptive behaviour for them as rabbits aren't necessarily where they were last time the ferret raided the burrow.

Then they escaped from the animal house and got into the ducted air heating/conditioning system and were liable to appear anywhere in the building... In the end, they had to offer a bounty to the students for captured ferrets.

Both of these reasons are why I love my ferrets, one of them drags my finger towards his bed as he wants to stash me in his bed.  This is a pic of my other two looking all innocent and sweet, the only time they are behaving is when they are sleeping!

20157462_10211927509436695_2445040287857414948_o.jpg

Edited by Tawny75