Volockies

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

...as was I. They also have Hook Norton Bitter on draught, does that meet your standards?

Still :offtopic:
Sorry I don't remember the beer in the Brasenose being anything but average at best, but the 'Hooky' in the Folly was well worth the trip.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Down here we like to get the whole pint of beer in our pint glass we just paid for, not 7/8 of a pint of beer and 1/8 of a pint of bubbles.

After all it just cost us approaching a fiver!

:cheers:

Mr Smelly - please bring Athy and MTB with you they need coaching - yikes! I'm turning into Nick Norman!

On 20/07/2017 at 11:52, Athy said:

...as was I. They also have Hook Norton Bitter on draught, does that meet your standards?

Doesn't meet mine. "Old Hookey" is an OK beer, but plain "Hookey" is a trendy modern 'summer beer' that tastes more like a pint of grapefruit juice than beer... grump grump.

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Doesn't meet mine. "Old Hookey" is an OK beer, but plain "Hookey" is a trendy modern 'summer beer' that tastes more like a pint of grapefruit juice than beer... grump grump.

Shurely shome mishtake here. Old Hooky is indeed a fine full-flavoured brew, but Hook Norton Bitter, also referred to as Hooky, is simply the "ordinary" bitter (about 3.5% I think), not trendy at all.

I wonder if you are perhaps thinking of Hooky Gold, which is a more summery drink.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Shurely shome mishtake here. Old Hooky is indeed a fine full-flavoured brew, but Hook Norton Bitter, also referred to as Hooky, is simply the "ordinary" bitter (about 3.5% I think), not trendy at all.

I wonder if you are perhaps thinking of Hooky Gold, which is a more summery drink.

Must be summat wrong with me then as I like some of those golden summery beers. 

Especially Loose Cannon Bombshell from Abingdon. Also Hobgoblin Gold. I'm not sure I've tried Hooky Gold.

I also dislike Doombar as mentioned by Athy.

In case I haven't mentioned it before though, you have to go a long way to beat any of the Adnams bitters.

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

ooo hooky gold, not had one of them for a while, off to the supermarket!

Brains SA gold is one i have not had for some years, can only get in one place near me and thats about 30 minute drive!

Morrison's online service, which uses Occado is good for Brains beer.  We used them for our Welsh themed gathering during the 6 Nations, ie themed to whoever England is playing that is, not that I was supporting Wales you understand.

26 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

There speaks a man who has forgotten, or never had, Grotneys. Or many other keg atrocities come to think of it.

When we were 18 it seemed great.One starts humbly and works one's way up.

2 hours ago, dogless said:

Beer.

What's not to like.

Some is better than others, that's all.

Rog

We're in Adnams land at the moment but I have never developed a taste for beer. A visit to their wine shop will suffice. No canals here just some wide water bits and rivers.

On 20/07/2017 at 19:05, Athy said:

When we were 18 it seemed great.One starts humbly and works one's way up.

Curiously, when I was 17(!) we used to seek out pubs that sold decent real ale as we loathed keg bitter. And this was before the invention of CAMRA I suspect. 

Our favourite was the Hautboy Inn at Ockham in Surrey. Now lost to an avaricious businessman who turned it into flats, deeply sadly.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/surrey/ockham_hautboyinn.html

4 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

you have to go a long way to beat any of the Adnams bitters.

I agree. One of only two southern breweries worth supporting (the other is Messrs Fuller, Smith & Turner of Chiswick). 

3 hours ago, dogless said:

Beer.

What's not to like.

Some is better than others, that's all.

Rog

My Yorkshire Grandad again. Beer is a lot like cars -- there's no bad 'uns, just some better than others. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, mross said:

At the Polished Knob, in Todmorden, you can get two pints of proper beer for £3.40 but only on a Monday!

Usually live music too on a Monday afternoon.  Great value. We go by train so no driving either.

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously, when I was 17(!) we used to seek out pubs that sold decent real ale as we loathed keg bitter. And this was before the invention of CAMRA I suspect. 

Our favourite was the Hautboy Inn at Ockham in Surrey. Now lost to an avaricious businessman who turned it into flats, deeply sadly.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/surrey/ockham_hautboyinn.html

In my first UK teaching job I used to walk past CAMRA's H.Q. on my way to the 'bus stop every day without realising what it was (CAMRA, not the stop, I mean). First tasted "real ale" at the Farrier's Arms in St. Albans circa 1975 and have never looked back - well I might have done, but I couldn't see straight.

On 20/07/2017 at 20:00, Athy said:

In my first UK teaching job I used to walk past CAMRA's H.Q. on my way to the 'bus stop every day without realising what it was (CAMRA, not the stop, I mean). First tasted "real ale" at the Farrier's Arms in St. Albans circa 1975 and have never looked back - well I might have done, but I couldn't see straight.

We used to favour Courage Directors' Bitter in ordinary pubs, but the Hautboy sold far more esoteric and wonderful brews, the only one of which I can still remember was 'Bishops Finger'. 

Commonplace nowadays from several breweries, but very rare and hard to find back then.

49 minutes ago, Ray T said:

We're in Adnams land at the moment but I have never developed a taste for beer. A visit to their wine shop will suffice. No canals here just some wide water bits and rivers.

I developed a liking for their beers while we were in those parts. Also their Copper House Gin is very nice.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who can remember some other real ales available back in the early 70s?!

I think mamy of them are still brewed, but...

Brickwoods' Best Bitter was reincarnated by Whitbreads as Pompey Royal in the mid-70s but I don't know if it is still brewed. 

Robinson's Best Bitter is alive and kicking, although it's been called Unicorn for the last 15-20 years.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I developed a liking for their beers while we were in those parts.

Probably my first ever really good pint was hand-pulled Adnams Southwold Bitter in the Castle Arms, Colchester. That would have been in about 1970.

On 20/07/2017 at 20:26, Machpoint005 said:

I think mamy of them are still brewed,

I'm sure they are, I just can't think of any other real ales that are more than about 20 years old!

On 20/07/2017 at 20:26, Machpoint005 said:

Brickwoods' Best Bitter was reincarnated by Whitbreads as Pompey Royal in the mid-70s but I don't know if it is still brewed. 

Robinson's Best Bitter is alive and kicking, although it's been called Unicorn for the last 15-20 years.

Probably my first ever really good pint was hand-pulled Adnams Southwold Bitter in the Castle Arms, Colchester. That would have been in about 1970.

Nope, never heard of none of them.

OOooo I've thought of another. "Winter Royal" we used to drink in Windsor. By... errr.... er.....

6 hours ago, mross said:

At the Polished Knob, in Todmorden, you can get two pints of proper beer for £3.40 but only on a Monday!

Must be a wetherspoons at a guess? why else would they give beer away at less than it costs them? busy fools springs to mind.

Just checked and its not a wetherspoons, just bloomin daft.....................

Edited by mrsmelly
google

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This depends on whether you are over 63(-ish) or not......

CAMRA was founded by a few real ale enthusiasts in 1971, when the traditional rich-flavoured ales, still fermenting in the casks from which they were served, were being replaced by brewers producing beers with less demanding production and storing techniques.

Edited by alan_fincher