Aylesbury and wendover arms

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Did Aylesbury last month.

We like the run down, the facilities at the end, and the town.

It's well worth the effort in our view, however it can be quite shallow, and the locks have rails on the top, which stop you stepping across. This slows operation down a little as you have to constantly walk around.

Nice pub at Wilstone village (between locks 8 and 9) as a stop over too.

Only walked Wendover as it's only a mile and a half long.

Rog

I wouldn't bother with the Wendover unless you are looking for a quiet place to moor up. You can walk it in half an hour, it's just a dead end. It may be worth it when they open it up right into Wendover, at least there were would be a destination then.

The Aylesbury is nice but very shallow in places, a lot of the lock gates leak, so try not to moor in short pounds or you may roll out of bed in the middle of the night

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I wouldn't bother with the Wendover unless you are looking for a quiet place to moor up. You can walk it in half an hour, it's just a dead end. It may be worth it when they open it up right into Wendover, at least there were would be a destination then.

The Aylesbury is nice but very shallow in places, a lot of the lock gates leak, so try not to moor in short pounds or you may roll out of bed in the middle of the night

Lets hope it dosen't get clogged up due to lack of boats before its completed

The Aylesbury Arm is lovely. Nice scenery and Quite deep enough for ex-working boats. We have had Exe and Fulbourne go up and Planet up and down recently. Water levels can be an issue particularly passing  Bates yard and sometimes below the staircase.

The bridge at Puttenham is shy half its parapet and the one at lock 14 os being replaced, both as a result of vehicle damage but the cut has been cleared beneath both bridges.

The towpath through bridge 16 is washed away,  so keep to the right coming down.

You will get a warm welcome at Circus Field basin (and up to two weeks freee mooring with hookup and water) if you call in and see ACS.  See the boater with the Welcome Boat sign on the roof.

Enjoy your trip.

N

Aylesbury is my home town, always worth a visit, If you come all the way to the moorings at the end I recommend a walk into town to the old part by the church.  There is an excellent pub called The Kings Head and just around the corner is the Bucks County Museum.  They usually have some really good exhibits.

I do hope you enjoy our little arm and town :)

4 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Aylesbury is my home town, always worth a visit, If you come all the way to the moorings at the end I recommend a walk into town to the old part by the church.  There is an excellent pub called The Kings Head and just around the corner is the Bucks County Museum.  They usually have some really good exhibits.

I do hope you enjoy our little arm and town :)

Nice someone sticks up for the town, I've known it all my life and it has grown and changed dreadfully over the years - the canal leading to it is excellent and well worth using, as is the Wendover Arm.

• Greenie 1

I think the moorings on the Wendover arm in the basin/winding hole may be the best kept secret on the system. I took a day off work to stay there an extra night it was so beautiful! And some great walking in the hills too if that's your thing.

20170521_200027.jpg

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I think the moorings on the Wendover arm in the basin/winding hole may be the best kept secret on the system. I took a day off work to stay there an extra night it was so beautiful! And some great walking in the hills too if that's your thing.

20170521_200027.jpg

Looks lovely. We are going there today, looks a perfect spot to service my boat in peace. Cheers for info. Ian.

5 hours ago, LEO said:

Nice someone sticks up for the town, I've known it all my life and it has grown and changed dreadfully over the years - the canal leading to it is excellent and well worth using, as is the Wendover Arm.

I love my town, yes it has changed, yes it has grown a lot and we have our share of problems, but it is still home.  It could be a whole lot worse!!

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

20170521_200027.jpg

SHHHHHHH!  Don't tell everybody, if you do they will all moor there and will walk to the top of Coombe Hill to see views like this.  (not the best picture in the world but I loved the light in the sky)

20150715_192535.jpg

Edited by Tawny75
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ianali said:

Looks lovely. We are going there today, looks a perfect spot to service my boat in peace. Cheers for info. Ian.

I went down there when the Icelandic ash cloud stopped all the planes for a week. 

It was absolute bliss, no noise at all in the evenings......except for the wildlife.

We have said as soon as we get a boat one of our first trips will be down to Aylesbury.  We will moor it near Milton Keynes as Aylesbury is just so expensive, but there will be many trips down here I feel.

4 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

SHHHHHHH!  Don't tell everybody, if you do they will all moor there and will walk to the top of Coombe Hill to see views like this.  (not the best picture in the world but I loved the light in the sky)

20150715_192535.jpg

Hi,

Good pic from Coombe Hill, 852ft above sea level. I lived in a small village close by and spent many happy days on the hill. Great views across to Leighton Buzzard. The monument has been vandalised over the years. One house in the village had a view of Canary Wharf tower, 35 odd miles away. Some good views of Coombe Hill from the Aylesbury Arm.

L

Just now, LEO said:

Hi,

Good pic from Coombe Hill, 852ft above sea level. I lived in a small village close by and spent many happy days on the hill. Great views across to Leighton Buzzard. The monument has been vandalised over the years. One house in the village had a view of Canary Wharf tower, 35 odd miles away. Some good views of Coombe Hill from the Aylesbury Arm.

L

You are right about the monument, a few years ago it had all of the brass plaques stolen off it.  If I recall correctly, there were found before they could be melted down.  I am from Whitchurch originally, so could always see the monument in the distance.  Now it is like a beacon showing we are nearly home from our travels.  If we come home via High Wycombe, the first is the Golden Ball on the top of the church at West Wycombe that is the first beacon, then Coombe Hill Monument and the lone tree on Ivinghoe Beacon call us home.

After the peaceful Wendover arm we have travelled down the Aylesbury. Moored in the Society Marina. Lovely friendly people here. Was a challenge getting through a couple of the pounds today, low water levels. Beautiful stretch though. 

12 minutes ago, ianali said:

After the peaceful Wendover arm we have travelled down the Aylesbury. Moored in the Society Marina. Lovely friendly people here. Was a challenge getting through a couple of the pounds today, low water levels. Beautiful stretch though. 

You are a couple of miles across town from me.  I hope you enjoy our town :)  Consider yourself waved at :)

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Are you in our mooring ? (Outside the wet dock)

Tim