rant on POOR boat handling

Featured Posts

What is the matter with a lot of stupid poor boat handlers lately? We've been hit three time in the past weeks by those insisting on PUSHING their way through a gap, latest, moored in rugby yes its tight, we know that, we were on the straight bit, boats passing, another going other way pushedpass and HIT us hard, as usual no apology, nothing behind us, WHY WHY do people not think about stopping to let one through first. We've had the same problem on a straight bit of canal. B.......y moorons would they do the same in a car??? Yes i do have a life our boat is our home and i dont expect it to be ruined by ignorant others. Rant over

Because -

• Folks don't plan ahead and slow down well in advance and wait while still moving
  • AND
  • panic because they know if they stop the boat could end up 'broached to'

So the first option is the best....

On 16/07/2017 at 10:37, oats said:

its tight, we know that

Given its happened three times, I'm wondering if it might be sensible to move and moor somewhere it isn't 'tight'.

In fact the boaters who didn't apologise might also be on here later moaning about boats inconsiderately moored and creating 'tight' spots.

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given its happened three times, I'm wondering if it might be sensible to move and moor somewhere it isn't 'tight'.

In fact the boaters who didn't apologise might also be on here later moaning about boats inconsiderately moored and creating 'tight' spots.

First, we don't choose to Moore where it's tight, rugby as we all know  it is a recognised mooring. when out on the canal we have not moored where it's tight or near bends or bridges. Folk only need to SLOW down and think. and it was NOT hire boats.

3 minutes ago, oats said:

First, we don't choose to Moore where it's tight, rugby as we all know  it is a recognised mooring. when out on the canal we have not moored where it's tight or near bends or bridges. Folk only need to SLOW down and think. and it was NOT hire boats.

I have been proper big time whacked here three times this week mainly because the boatyard is so busy its is blocking the cut. All three where private boats. I got scraped the same day by a hire boat from napton slowly nearly stopped passing thro and he was the only one to apologise. In all honesty I don't give a damn when they whack me it only knocks paint off and makes the dog go into overdrive far worse things happen at sea.

On 16/07/2017 at 11:13, oats said:

Ah so it's your home mooring then. You didn't say that in your first post. I imagined you were out and about cruising and moored up for the night.

And no I don't know the canal in Rugby. Not everybody does. 

I agree with you fundamentally, folk should slow down and think, but it's human nature not to. Moaning about something you have no power to change probably helps a bit though :)

If I remember rightly, it's pretty narrow along there where the boats are moored, but you can't always tell there's another boat on it's way until you're under  the bridge and in among everyone. And sometimes you can't help a bump and it isn't always the bumper's fault, but there's no excuse for not apologising. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If I remember rightly, it's pretty narrow along there where the boats are moored, but you can't always tell there's another boat on it's way until you're under  the bridge and in among everyone. And sometimes you can't help a bump and it isn't always the bumper's fault, but there's no excuse for not apologising. 

The best moorings at Rugby have just been converted into another high speed cycle raceway.  Instead of installing mooring rings, CRT installed no mooring signs.  Passed through the other week and all the signs had miraculously disappeared!

George

I feel your pain, and hope you found posting cathartic. 

For what it is worth, I think it best to try and ignore the behaviour of others, because it will only create tension in you, and spoil your day.

If we could all try and recall these things that cause annoyance to us as we cruise, we'd all succeed in causing less annoyance to others.

Have you ever noticed, how the number of 'Slow down for moored boats' stickers there are on a boat, is in inverse proportion to their speed as they pass by?

Rog

It takes two to bump but manners cost nothing.

Just because somewhere has a recognised mooring spot doesn't mean you have to stop there, it's why many of us stop in the middle of nowhere.

If you're referring to the VM alongside the little park? I wouldn't moor anywhere near that because ........

There are few moorings.

They're often full at this time of year.

People walk their dogs and don't clear up.

There are tight bends and overhanging trees at either end which restrict sight and navigation.

Although they closed the public toilets in that park due to cottaging etc. the creepy people still congregate there after dark.

Anyhoo I hope your rant helped.

Hi thanks all, yes rant helped I've not got too het up about it life is too short just needed to get it off my chest. I think I'll also give those passing so close a polishing cloth so they can clean my windows as they pass, cheers for the replies

How about putting a couple of floating wheelbarrow wheels moored to your boat? Then the impact is cushioned if it happens again. AND it makes approaching boaters a little more wary to see them floating a foot or two out from your boat in the fairway.

1 hour ago, oats said:

Hi thanks all, yes rant helped I've not got too het up about it life is too short just needed to get it off my chest. I think I'll also give those passing so close a polishing cloth so they can clean my windows as they pass, cheers for the replies

On one occasion when someone parked so close to my car that I couldnt get in via the drivers door, I left a note on their window suggesting that it would have been helpful if they had left an F'ing tin opener for me to get into my car - whether it had the effect of making them think about how they parked in future, I will never know - but it made me feel better :)

I like the wheelbarrow wheels idea!

There arent many narrow places on The Bridgewater but, when passing through Lymm, with boats moored on both sides in the village,and a very narrow bit when leaving towards Warrington way, I slow down to a speed where I can just about steer. If something comes the other way, (which is usually every time :) ), the situation is easily manageable... even to the point where one might actually rest against a moored boat while the oncoming boat passes.

Edited by Richard10002

We got pranged once when moored on the Shelmore embankment. It is long, straight and wide. There were no other boats except us and the one that hit us - on a minor bump of no consequence and profuse apologies - but they manged it somehow - I mention it for what it is worth.

Seriously, running the gauntlet through Rugby is pretty straightforward compared to many locations I can think of so i think a bit of outrage is justified.  But there are a lot of inexperienced boat owners on the canal these days, or it seems so to me, and I do wonder if there is a prevailing attitude among these people that it's ok to clout another boat and think nothing of it.   

11 hours ago, Neil2 said:

But there are a lot of inexperienced boat owners on the canal these days, or it seems so to me, and I do wonder if there is a prevailing attitude among these people that it's ok to clout another boat and think nothing of it.   

Probably the same people who can be heard declaring "It's OK, it's a contact sport!" with a big grin on their face as they pinball down the cut.

Being from oop norf were canals are 2 miles wide at the pinch points, I found the moorings at Rugby a bit tight too especially for the passing boats, seems CaRT have favoured the cyclists by moving the straight mooring to those bends beyond the bridge.

However I do think some boaters don't help these situations by mooring in some very awkward places - I found this especially so on the Oxford. I appreciate in some parts it's unavoidable but mooring on the outside of a tight bend with overhanging trees opposite and in a wind is inviting trouble for somebody. Having said that, on our recent safari in the south I only got hit once and had one scary almost head-on moment both times from hire boats. The manoeuvring skills of the vast majority of steerers was outstanding.

Edited by Midnight

14 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Seriously, running the gauntlet through Rugby is pretty straightforward compared to many locations I can think of so i think a bit of outrage is justified.  But there are a lot of inexperienced boat owners on the canal these days, or it seems so to me, and I do wonder if there is a prevailing attitude among these people that it's ok to clout another boat and think nothing of it.   

Sadly I can still remember when we first hired a boat - and had some less than interesting encounters with other boats whilst we were still figuring out how to make a boat go where you want it to rather than what it decides for itself. Even if that was 50 years ago . . . 

We too came through Rugby on Sunday heading south. Moored for Tesco and when we returned to Steelaway the guy on the next boat told us we had just missed some "boat rage". Lots of boats going north. There was also a guy towing a boat both ways, went north and then south and moored at the boatyard.

Sunday evening we saw Tim and Pru having dinner in the Boathouse at Braunston. We had a good lookout for them on Monday in case they were bumping around. No sign though.

1 hour ago, dixi188 said:

Sunday evening we saw Tim and Pru having dinner in the Boathouse at Braunston. We had a good lookout for them on Monday in case they were bumping around. No sign though.

They moor their boat in the marina so are often around.