Lancaster canal advice

Emma

Featured Posts

We are hiring a narrowboat for the first time from Twitfield and plan to travel to Preston and back in 5 days. I would appreciate any advice on where to moor along the way that won't be too tricky for newbies. I know that carnforth and Lancaster will be suitable but have no idea going beyond there? Are there any showers/sanitary stations that we could use between Lancaster & Preston without mooring at marinas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks 

There are visitor moorings in Galgate, Garstang, Bilsborrow, and Preston with services in all of those places. You will also have a shower on your hire boat. You should get some information on the boat but there are boaters' guides available online. Enjoy the Lancaster.

This is a great little guide:

https://www.lctrust.co.uk/the-canal/books-and-video

Edited by rgreg
Insert link

7 hours ago, Emma said:

Are there any showers/sanitary stations that we could use between Lancaster & Preston without mooring at marinas?

You're hiring a Narrowboat without a shower? That must take a bit of doing nowadays! 

If it's hot water you're worried about, plan showers whilst cruising or when stopping for lunch, say, so engine heats the tank heats back up. 

7 minutes ago, Emma said:

Thanks for getting back to me. There is a shower but I was worried about the hot water. 

You'll have no shortage of hot water; even the morning after a day's cruising it will still be hot enough for showers. Even if it isn't, there should be water heating facilities on the boat.