TV aerial?

Tonker

Featured Posts

Hello 

Our existing tv is 240v with a normal outside aerial and a 240v internal aerial booster. I now have a cello 12v/240v. Do l need a specific outside arial as it won't work with my current external aerial. Thanks Fiona 

Thanks for your replies. I don't think l explained our problem properly. We are in a very bad reception area and need the internal booster box with an ordinary aerial . The booster box is 240v and we want to go completely 12v so am wondering if we need a different external aerial?

3 minutes ago, Tonker said:

Thanks for your replies. I don't think l explained our problem properly. We are in a very bad reception area and need the internal booster box with an ordinary aerial . The booster box is 240v and we want to go completely 12v so am wondering if we need a different external aerial?

Buy a 12v booster

On 15/07/2017 at 18:36, Tonker said:

Ah I see. As the friendly and chatty lulu fish explains, 12v boosters are out there. Try a large caravan shop or ebay if chandlers near you don't have them.

Whether the 12v boosters are as good as a 240v booster, remainsto be seen. Maybe someone reading this can recommend one in particular.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

Seems there's a solution to the op's question.

So, what do the board. Think of the black box Ariel that I see on others boats. The box is about 4"x3". Cost I've seen them for sale is in the region of £70. Are they worth it?Do they work?Multi-Directional?

I have a Mercury aerial which has a 12v booster . It cost £20 or so off ebay. I have it on a short pole that fits into a magmount. It is directional, but a quick check from local roofs is sufficient. If none available, then a couple of autotunes gets an approximation that can be fine tuned using the info button to show signal strength.

An aerial amplifier boost the signal, if the signal is low strength and 'clean' a simple booster is all that is required, but if the signal is weak and 'dirty' (lots of noise and interference) then a booster will only give you a strong but dirty signal.  Ina poor signal area to improve signal quality you will need a better, more directional aerial and probably a booster to get the signal strong enough for the tv.  A log periodic aerial is much better than a simple omni directional aerial but it is a lot bigger.  A directional aerial MUST be pointed directly at the transmitter, so you need to know where the transmitter is. You can get free apps for you phone which will 'know' where you are and will tell you the best nearby transmitter and which direction to point your aerial.  Have a look at the thread mtb suggested as there are more details there.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Seems there's a solution to the op's question.

So, what do the board. Think of the black box Ariel that I see on others boats. The box is about 4"x3". Cost I've seen them for sale is in the region of £70. Are they worth it?Do they work?Multi-Directional?

I believe the black box aerial you refer to is a moonraker dvt1000, we have one and it works absolutely fine.

We receive all freeview channels with good signal strength. The info says it is directional but when we are cruising the tv receives good signal without moving it.

What Chewbacka said above. Boosters are not always the panacea they seem. Log periodic aerials are generally the weapon of choice, but smaller ones such as I have still have limitations and larger (higher gain) ones are harder to store, so it all rather depends on how much of a telly enthusiast you are. I also have a tiny omni aerial for strong signal areas which works occasionally with much less faff. Fortunately, I don't often care whether the telly works or not.

• Greenie 1

Check if your mains powered booster runs via a small external power supply. If so look at the power supply output voltage, if it is 12volt you can feed from the boat power via a 1 amp fuse, if it is 5 volt (as mine is) then you can power from a usb source such as tv or  round adapter as used in a vehicle or dedicated 5v usb power socket from your 12 volt system