filling screw holes

Featured Posts

I am replacing my leaky pancake vent with a mushroom. As the diameter of the mushroom is less than the old vent I will be left with 4 screw holes in the roof. Can anyone suggest how to fill them and make it water tight before a coat of paint.

Cheers

Treddie

12 minutes ago, sans allumette said:

How about 4 x stainless-steel screws with epoxy resin on threads?

While functional, it would look messy.

I think the only real option here is to fill with weld, grind flat and repaint, as BEngo said above.  The JBweld option works as an alternative!

I epoxied some stainless screws into the holes leaving them proud by a few mm then carefully took the tops of with a slitting disc, followed by a flap disc to get it flush.  Needs to be done slowly with plenty of cooling time as you don't want it to hot or the epoxy degrades.  Not a good as welding, but it's quick and easy.  Depends if you view the boat as something of beauty or predominately functional. 

34 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Ahem, you do realise the sun isn't over the yard arm yet..?  

Always 11am on our boat! Following Naval tradition.

THE SUN'S OVER THE YARDARM
The expression is believed to have originated in the north Atlantic where the sun would rise above the upper mast spars (yards) of square sailed ships around 11am. This coincided with the forenoon ‘stand easy’ when officers would go below and enjoy their first rum tot of the day. Eventually the phrase was adopted universally as meaning it is a suitable time to have an alcoholic beverage.

Or:

SUN IS OVER THE YARDARM - "(time for happy hour to begin). This expression is thought to have its origins in an officers' custom aboard ships sailing in the north Atlantic. In those latitudes, the sun would rise above the upper yards - the horizontal spars mounted on the masts, from which squaresails were hung - around 11 a.m. Since this coincided with the forenoon 'stand easy,' officers would take advantage of the break to go below for their first tot of spirits for the day. The expression washed ashore where the sun appears over the figurative yardarm a bit later in the day, generally after 5 p.m., and the end of the workday." From "When a Loose Cannon Flogs a Dead Horse There's the Devil to Pay: Seafaring Words in Everyday Speech" by Olivia A. Isil (International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press, McGraw-Hill, 1996)

I'll stick with the first interpretation.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Always 11am on our boat! Following Naval tradition.

THE SUN'S OVER THE YARDARM
The expression is believed to have originated in the north Atlantic where the sun would rise above the upper mast spars (yards) of square sailed ships around 11am. This coincided with the forenoon ‘stand easy’ when officers would go below and enjoy their first rum tot of the day. Eventually the phrase was adopted universally as meaning it is a suitable time to have an alcoholic beverage.

Or:

SUN IS OVER THE YARDARM - "(time for happy hour to begin). This expression is thought to have its origins in an officers' custom aboard ships sailing in the north Atlantic. In those latitudes, the sun would rise above the upper yards - the horizontal spars mounted on the masts, from which squaresails were hung - around 11 a.m. Since this coincided with the forenoon 'stand easy,' officers would take advantage of the break to go below for their first tot of spirits for the day. The expression washed ashore where the sun appears over the figurative yardarm a bit later in the day, generally after 5 p.m., and the end of the workday." From "When a Loose Cannon Flogs a Dead Horse There's the Devil to Pay: Seafaring Words in Everyday Speech" by Olivia A. Isil (International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press, McGraw-Hill, 1996)

I'll stick with the first interpretation.

I was talking about up here.  The last time I saw the sun was 1968.