Size matters

Smoggy

Featured Posts

Hi

We all no size matters :ninja: ok well I was wondering what defines a narrow boat to a wide beam ^_^ 

our boat is 8ft 6in & classed as a Wide Beam, but depending on how she behaves I tend to say she's either a skinny wide beam or a fat narrow boat.

What do other members think :rolleyes:

sue

Edited by Smoggy
Edit

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Hi

We all no size matters :ninja: ok well I was wondering who decides on the size ^_^ 

our boat is 8ft 6in & classed as a Wide Beam, but depending on how she behaves I tend to say she's either a skinny wide beam or a fat narrow boat.

What do other members think :rolleyes:

sue

She's a boat.

Keith

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

If she is more than 7' she's wide!

So all G U C C Co boats are wide then, I see.

Keith

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Ok thanks

That's a lot smaller , than I thought so are all boats over 7' wide beams !!

Edited by Smoggy

10 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I'd have said if wider than 7' 3", having had two Small Woolwich that boasted hips like that from birth.

The law states :

“narrow canal boat” means a vessel having a beam of less than seven feet six inches

• Greenie 1

Whilst accepted wisdom suggests that the maximum width of a Narrow boat is 7ft, most working boats could be up to 3" wider than that, particularly those built for the GUCCC, Perhaps a better criteria would be if it will fit in a Narrow lock, it is a Narrow boat, if it won't it is a wide boat. And before any smart arse comes on to rubbish that theory, I am aware that there are a some narrow locks where a boat over 7ft will struggle, or even jam,  but they are the exception rather than the rule.

On a related point I was always told by our ex working boat captain than anything over 12ft 6ins was a Barge, but I have never seen that definition in writing.

Edited by David Schweizer

"A wide beam can't fit through the bridge holes and locks of a narrow canal". Of course, that doesn't mean that all narrowboats can fit either, just that they'd be too narrow to be necessarily identified as widebeams.

And, there's variations in what fits on various "narrow" canals, and parts of.