Centre lines

Johny London

Featured Posts

I've always had a slight problem with my centre line getting snagged around the nearby mushroom vent - one of these days I thought I would change it for a flying saucer, but now with solar panels very close, there's even more opportunity to get snagged (on the corners of the panels).

So I'm thinking it's time I went for two centre lines. I think I heard of them both being attached to the (existing) centre fixing (with an additional thingy?), but I thought it might work better for me if one was attached to each side (edge) of the roof. I've got round roof rails too, with periodic fixings to the roof that perhaps I could use.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not - has anyone tried similar? Would having the ropes at the edges tend to tip the boat a bit? I'm trying to avoid all the hassle of getting the rope snagged just when you need it in a hurry over the other side. I'm a single hander.

A centre line attached at the side of the roof is no more likely to tip the boat over as far as I can see. Either way you just need to moor normally using the bow and stern lines at 45 degrees and allow a bit of slack anywhere the water level could change.

The only snag I can see to attaching at the side is that the line may be more likely to end up alongside the rail getting in the way of your fingers when walking along the gunnels.

We have a trad style exhaust on the roof, back cabin chimney, and pigeon boxes as well as mushroom vents etc. We have three centre lines, one either side plus a shorter lighter one for holding the boat steady in double locks etc. It all works very well. Buying a boat second hand off owners who have put a lot of thought into boating has many advantages.

I have driven a few boats with a single centre line and don't like it.

...............Dave

If thinking of fitting a new mount, then is has to be very / quite substantial. My builder - one of the old school; fitted not only a half massive ring (6"  in diameter) but welded it to a large plate 8" x 4" again welded all round. I can't remember, but he may have welded a plate inside. Probably overkill - but the boat surely stops quickly when  the need arises....

46 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I've got tubular hand rails I might have to do something slightly different, but looks like I'm on the right track anyway.

WotEver had tubular hand rails. I simply tied a rope each side to the handrail. It worked for me. 

I just need for them not to slide along when I pull at an angle, so if I can utilise the nearest bits (uprights?) between the rails and roof that would work a treat. Those are welded and look more substantial that the thing the centre line is currently tied to.

Wow where is that?

My tubular rails are quite strong I believe, but I'll try the ropes on the uprights which are 18" further back than the current centre line attachment. If it feels too unbalanced then I can get something made up :) Perhaps just an extra upright each side under the tubes.

Will order another bit of rope to start with then.

30 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

What use is a centre line if it's not within reach so you can step off the stern with it?

None whatsoever..at 25ton I approach the bank ..step off and grab it..:D

You should be wary of tying a rope to anything that wasn't designed for the purpose eg handrails.  Plenty of bent/broken tubular handrails around to illustrate the point.  

Similarly I don't think fairleads are a good idea on centre lines, sooner or later they will get ripped out.  Plenty of boats around with a missing fairlead to illustrate.

Using a centre line to stop the boat or as a temporary mooring is actually a fairly recent practice which only became common when steel topped narrowboats became the norm.  I admit I do it but I think it is a lazy way of handling a narrowboat. 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Similarly I don't think fairleads are a good idea on centre lines, sooner or later they will get ripped out.  Plenty of boats around with a missing fairlead to illustrate.

Using a centre line to stop the boat or as a temporary mooring is actually a fairly recent practice which only became common when steel topped narrowboats became the norm.  I admit I do it but I think it is a lazy way of handling a narrowboat. 

My fairleads are screwed into the angle iron handrails with 3 screws. Any tension is either horizontal, and/or downwards, so the forces aren't really in a direction likely to rip them out?

On recent practice being lazy... there are lots of things we do these days that could be considered lazy when compared with what we used to do, like Googling, rather than nipping to the reference library, or emailing, rather than sending a letter, or using a GPS rather than using a paper based map.

Ive been using centre lines on seagoing boats for decades, and it was actually considered good seamanship, rather than lazy.

I agree that mooring with a roof mounted centre line for any length of time is not a good idea, as changing levels or passing boats can list the boat, possibly to dangerous angles.