Anything useful we should take?

Galoka

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I trust that you're joking.

Mrs. Athy and I have been boat owners for 20 years now, we both love "a" drink but we don't have one until we're moored up. For people not used to narrowboats, I'd say that drinking alcohol while under way would be unwise - I know it only goes at 4 mph, but it weighs 15 tons or so, and places like locks are fraught with danger if you haven't got a clear head.

That said, I realise that the O.P.s are adults and have the right to make their own minds up.

I agree -- to the extent that we don't imbibe unless we have passed all the movable structures for the day (locks, swing bridges, lift bridges). After that an odd 'un while cruising is OK, but only an odd 'un. 

Regarding communication devices, I still don't understand why they are at all necessary. If the lock is open and empty of boats, I steer into it. If the lock gates are closed, I wait for them. When going up you can tell by the water flow that the lock is in use. When going down you can see what is happening anyway. I'd rather be thought of as a patient professional than an eager amateur, where locks are concerned.    

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I trust that you're joking.

Mrs. Athy and I have been boat owners for 20 years now, we both love "a" drink but we don't have one until we're moored up. For people not used to narrowboats, I'd say that drinking alcohol while under way would be unwise - I know it only goes at 4 mph, but it weighs 15 tons or so, and places like locks are fraught with danger if you haven't got a clear head.

That said, I realise that the O.P.s are adults and have the right to make their own minds up.

It'sa good point.

We aren't actually big drinkers and wouldn't be drinking whilst cruising. I like to sit back and relax and enjoy it. Though I suppose the chance of a lucntime pub pint is more likely

better keep an eye on the 16 and 12 yo though :-)

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Sun glasses. For the steerer. The reflection off the water can be a nuisance. Or the roof.

Photochromic lenses :-)

Actually, I have a nice pair of prescription polarising sunglasses that are good for driving, would be good for the boat, but they seem to ahve gone AWOL over the winter :-(

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The 16-y-o will be fine. The 12-y-o might not have acquired a palate yet?

The 16 yo has already done the too much drink makes you ill thing :-) She has the odd drink with us though.

12yo isn't impressed with it though no

56 minutes ago, Galoka said:

GPS for a bit of geocaching :-)

Stopped taking ours as just don't seem to get time to use it. Sod's law also meant if there was no chance to stop there were loads along the towpath and when we had time there were no caches within miles :(

Edited by Hudds Lad
Remove duplicated post

If you are heading up the Caldon there is a shortage of shops, there is a by Morrison's within walking distance of the end of the Leek branch, nothing at the end of the Froghall branch other than a cafe and a pub. There are a couple of pubs, we had a good meal in the Holly Bush at Hazelhurst junction.

23 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Regarding communication devices, I still don't understand why they are at all necessary. If the lock is open and empty of boats, I steer into it. If the lock gates are closed, I wait for them. When going up you can tell by the water flow that the lock is in use. When going down you can see what is happening anyway. I'd rather be thought of as a patient professional than an eager amateur, where locks are concerned.    

They were more for the sections of Llangollen where you have to send someone up the towpath to check for oncoming boats as there's nowhere to pass, for keeping my 11yr old interested/engaged, and the fact I'm a bit deaf.

never said they were necessary, just useful. Each to their own I guess

Junior hacksaw and blade for cutting off stuff round the prop, much better than a knife particularly if its metal!   Bit of string with something visible tied to it plus a peg etc that you can attach to sliding hatch at rear when somebody has closed it when it's raining and you emerge triumphantly  with cake/coffee/beer and brain yourself!  

Have a good holiday.

4 hours ago, Galoka said:

so what's the maximum beer carrying capacity of a 65ft narrowboat? Just in case.

Assuming a fully laden working boat can carry roughly 35 tonnes of cargo then its maximum carrying capacity would in the region of 60 000 pints of beer so I hope your not going for more than a week or so. 

The advice on beer and a spare supply of beer and stopping of for extra beer is good but have you considered an emergency supply of beer ? Best get a couple of bottles of sherry for the shelahs, (one for the front and one for the back coz everythings always at the wrong end of a boat) but please don't overdo it on the sherry coz you wouldn't have to start rushing the beer just to stay afloat. Get the beer right and you wont need to give a four X about anything else.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned pirate costumes and a big pirate flag. It's the wheeze that never gets old - how everyone laughs as yet another boat load of pirates hoves into view. I believe quite a lot of folk on here frequently moor close to hire bases on turn around day just to enjoy the spectacle. Who can blame them?

;):D

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned pirate costumes and a big pirate flag. It's the wheeze that never gets old - how everyone laughs as yet another boat load of pirates hoves into view. I believe quite a lot of folk on here frequently moor close to hire bases on turn around day just to enjoy the spectacle. Who can blame them?

I reserve the right to board & seize the vessel & hang the captain as an example.

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Is that better or worse than a Captain's Hat?

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Surreptitiously removes outfit from suitcase........

Doesn't that mean I can't get the kids to walk the plank when they misbehave? Isn't that what that board I see on the roof of boats is for?

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Galoka said:

Doesn't that mean I can't get the kids to walk the plank when they misbehave? Isn't that what that board I see on the roof of boats is for?

Domestic discipline and piracy should not be confused. Neither should you use that plank on the roof for other than its intended purpose. Well, not when there's sure to be a spare length of rope lying around for keel-hauling purposes. ;)

54 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I reserve the right to board & seize the vessel & hang the captain as an example.

You have to have a commission from HM the Queen to do that. Without such, I believe the correct action is to twitch the net curtains and shoot him with a look of disdain. 

54 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Is that better or worse than a Captain's Hat?

A Captain's hat is perfectly permissable should you have received the commission referred to above and have achieved sufficient rank. Otherwise the wearer is an imposter and I believe such a hat is then called something rather different...!

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Small bottle? Here's the gin drawer from our last canal holiday...

gin_IMG_20160924_190919.jpg

My, what a waste of space: just think how many cans of ale you could have stored in there if you hadn't packed it full of that dreadful gin stuff.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

My, what a waste of space: just think how many cans of ale you could have stored in there if you hadn't packed it full of that dreadful gin stuff.

Cans of ale? Are you mad? Three 18-pint mini-polypins of Rebellion IPA are a much better option, you can see one in the background...

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

And he's overdone it on the tonic!