Hospital silencer question

Featured Posts

I am anticipating having the engine out and while it is out might be a good time to make some changes in the engine room. Appreciate any advice on this:

The boat has a huge hospital silencer running crossways over the bay. It is a pain - literally - if one wants to work on the engine.

Originally this made sense as batteries were kept in the swim - but now batts are above in lockers, leaving a space in the swim. I have in mind the this space would be ideal for a silencer, of the right dimensions, this making access to the engine easier. Is that sort of thing feasible or very ill advised? 

That's good - is this just a case of getting any old hospital silencer and weldor it in place or is there more to it? I was also wondering if maybe a square one would have to be made up to fit the hole - is that also feasible?

I had a similar issue but the other way round, sort of.  From my experience I wouldn't underestimate the work and the cost involved in re-siting a big silencer.  

I was lucky in that our marina had a few silencers to play around with - to see what fitted best and where, etc. but the next best thing is to make a dummy out of cardboard so you can see where/if it will fit.  One things for sure if you are used to a hospital silencer you won't settle for anything less.  

I have a "near" hospital silencer parallel with the boat's axis as you describe and it works well. I also have the e exhaust pointing backwards that help reduce the exhaust note bouncing off the bank and bridges. I got my silencer that is slightly smaller than a full hospital one from T W Marine.

Yes, ideally you need the exhaust outlet as high as possible or a swan neck in the pipe somewhere to stop canal water running down the system back into the engine.