Oxford canal summit pound

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Just now, Nightwatch said:

We transited the pounds three or so days ago. We are 1' 10" at the stern. We kept our revs down and we're okay,but felt the bottom a couple of times. There are signs that indicate that the pound is some 10/12" lower than norm.

my own belief is that CRT are hanging on to some water in preparation of the festival traffic in three/four weeks time. Throwing it down wiv rain as I type. 

With respect to the festival, there are indications that some boats have already arrived!!! Good luck to them.

We too are 1ft 10 inches................very sensible draught for 2017 cos things aint gonna get better anytime soon.

2 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

Today we have mostly been boating... the full length (almost) of the Oxford summit. We're heading for the Thames for our first bit of river boating,

Here's my take on the water level issue.

We left the moorings from above Napton/Marston Doles top lock and have now moored for the night about half a mile before Claydon top lock at bridge 143.

Numerous boats coming the other way commented, when asked, on how shallow it was. We saw one boat approaching us run aground but they were far too near, and unnecessarily so, to the offside bank in my opinion. Got off with little problem, lots of revs and no pole action.

For us it was incident-free, no grounding whatsoever. We took it fairly easy, but still at my usual 1200 to 1300 revs, and kept to the centre as much as possible apart from when a Richard Cranium boater (in a small narrowboat, not a deep-draughter by the look of it) insisted the centre was his even when meeting a boat coming the other way. Obviously we stayed away from the inside of bends whenever possible. We took about 4.5 hours, I haven't checked what Canal Plan estimates for this section.

Last time I checked the boat was under 20 inches draught at the front and about 23 at the back but even so, I was expecting trouble after a lady arriving at the northern end of the pound told me this morning that she was glad to be getting off the summit and yet claimed to have only an 18 inch draught.

There did seem to be lots of armco showing above the water, perhaps 6 inches more than usual.

Perhaps we were lucky.

Or perhaps some people go too fast and/or are not careful enough with where they position their boats. I accept that deeper-draughted boats might have a tougher time of it.

Made I larff "Richard...." above never seen that epithet before, so much more amusing than the usual attribution - Thanks! 

W love the Oxford - well we have to as it's the only for us onto the canal system. Yes, the to pound is a pain (except I the autumn / spring). I find it very, very difficult to0 accept that then only pleasant speed is around 2 mph: or less - but that's what you HAVE to do when the water is low. The first time you cruise the summit it's fine, but for most the Oxford is for getting to one place or another.

The locks at either end are great, nice to work, satisfaction in working them efficiently - not just roaring through, but having to concentrate on getting the best non muddy line can be very tiring.

Oh well, landlocked this season with no more boating in prospect, I'll just have to wait.

Enjoy the Festival, folks....

Ref the traffic quotes, especially reference the Llangollen, following an accident on Sunday, had to leave the boat just above Quoisely Lock. Was O.K Monday, but returning today, arrived to find the boat tied to piling by mooring ropes. I'd left it on piling hooks with dedicated ropes spliced on. The front rope had snapped, and the hook gone, and when Itried to re use the rear hook, it kept pulling out as I tightened the rope, and closer inspection showed the hook bottom had straightened out!!!!!

Thanks to the rescuer if you read this.

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We too are 1ft 10 inches................very sensible draught for 2017 cos things aint gonna get better anytime soon.

No they won't, they'll get worse because boats get smaller, canals get smaller, boats get smaller.......

Keith

Well I'm off the summit now, down at Cropredy in fact. All the talk of low summit levels had left me really not looking forward to it but it was fine (for me). The benefit of a 23" draft I s'pose, and also taking it steady (Canaplan suggested 4 hrs 10 mins, I took 4 hrs 30 mins.)

And today I said hello to a passing boater who's boat name sounded familiar. Only when it was too late did I realise where I'd seen the name Trojan and location Upwell before.

Hello again Athy (from a former Norfolk resident from ages 0 to 17).

And then I saw his vacated mooring a hundred yards or so back from where I unexpectedly found a mooring for the night. And we're getting a good enough picture to watch the tennis. And hopefully ice creams from the village shop soon.

Edit for speeling etc.

Edited by MrBeethoven

1 hour ago, MrBeethoven said:

Well I'm off the summit now, down at Cropredy in fact. All the talk of low summit levels had left me really not looking forward to it but it was fine (for me). The benefit of a 23" draft I s'pose, and also taking it steady (Canaplan suggested 4 hrs 10 mins, I took 4 hrs 30 mins.)

And today I said hello to a passing boater who's boat name sounded familiar. Only when it was too late did I realise where I'd seen the name Trojan and location Upwell before.

Hello again Athy (from a former Norfolk resident from ages 0 to 17).

And then I saw his vacated mooring a hundred yards or so back from where I unexpectedly found a mooring for the night. And we're getting a good enough picture to watch the tennis. And hopefully ice creams from the village shop soon.

Edit for speeling etc.

There is now a stoppage notice about this pound - overnight closure, I believe.

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Lock 16, Marston Doles Top Lock
Ends At: Lock 17, Claydon Top Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: prior to Lock 16, Adkins Lock 14
Down Stream Winding Hole: prior to Lock 17, Bridge 147

Friday 14 July 2017 18:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Due to very recent water losses to the summit pound it is necessary to close the summit pound, there will be navigation restriction between lock 16 and lock 17 every evening between the hours of 6pm and 8.30am the following day.

This is to ensure that there are no accidental losses or misuse overnight and to help maintain and reserve the pound levels.

Our engineers are investigating possible causes of the loss.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11183/overnight-restrictions-between-lock-16-marston-doles-and-lock-17-claydon-oxford-canal

You can find all notices at the url below: