boat, moorings, so much to learn

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

As far as I know, it must be SC who open the locks, and they require 24hrs notice.

By 'fuel', I mean diesel. Some of their locations have it on site. If it means I have to cycle up with a 5LTR container of diesel strapped to my bike then so be it.  :D

Although, because it's a Marina, I have a horrible feeling they're going to get back to me and say that (like Auchinstarry) it must be a minimum of 10 metres. :(

22 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

As far as I know, it must be SC who open the locks, and they require 24hrs notice.

The locks are operated mostly by volunteers but the passage has to be booked by SC and notice has to be given. The bascule bridge at Applecross street is usually (I understand) operated by SC but as Iain says, they do training courses for boaters who are then allowed to open the bridge all by themselves :-). The problem is that it needs two people to open it!

haggis

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, haggis said:

The problem is that it needs two people to open it!

Ah crap! I'd be mostly solo. I assume it absolutely NEEDS two people (one on either side)?

Bloody locks everywhere that are so close to the mooring! Bowling looks to be the same idea. No bridge, just a lock in/out.

This whole boating idea keeps sending me one step forward, two steps back.  :D

I'd really love to be at Bowling (the cheap bit!) or Speirs/Applecross. Perfect for getting to/from the boat from home/work.

Bonus question: if I was to actually get through the locks at Bowling, are you allowed onto the (river) Clyde? 

On 08/07/2017 at 13:13, Alan de Enfield said:

Look for a diesel inboard boat.

I do remember being told inboard and diesel, but what are your thoughts (everyone) on this?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/boat-cabin-cruiser-viking-23.-4-berth-shower-heating-15hp-outboard-river-wey-pyrford/1254869464

All the mod-cons, a bit above my £4k budget. Is it worth the £5.5k? Even if it is outboard and probably petrol...

On 7/15/2017 at 17:44, ronnietucker said:

Ah crap! I'd be mostly solo. I assume it absolutely NEEDS two people (one on either side)?

(snip)

Bonus question: if I was to actually get through the locks at Bowling, are you allowed onto the (river) Clyde? 

I THINK that one is motorised, so only needs one operator. However, if they operate it as they do Leamington in Edinburgh, the bridge operator has to stay by the bridge, so solo operation isn't possible. The other bascule bridges are manual, and would be operated by Scottish Canals as part of a transit. 

To Question 2, the answer is "Yes". Scottish Canals will tell Clyde Estuary Control when you lock out of Bowling. There usually isn't any problem going upstream, as ship movements there are infrequent, but S.C. probably wouldn't let you out if a bit of an aircraft carrier was being towed downstream! It is possible to cruise the upper Clyde, above the barrier above Crown Street bridge, but the barrier is only opened at the top of high spring tides. We've only got a couple of miles above the barrier, as we couldn't risk not being able to get back. 

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I'd want to know whether or not all that stuff 'not used by vendor' is in functional order. 

True. Definitely the water and heating parts. Can't say I'm too bothered about a cassette player...  :D

I am tempted to get a survey done on it as it's too far away from me (at least an entire day away on a train) to personally see it. Even then, I wouldn't know what to look at/for.

I know! I know! Always see before you buy, but at least if it's been surveyed then I know it's in good order.

Boat price + survey = still on budget. Transportation of it to here would still keep me sorta on budget.

I'm tempted! This is the first one that's had everything I could want and within budget.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

OK, this looks too good to be true. It seems to tick all the right boxes, and have everything. What am I missing??

http://www.topsail.co.uk/boat.php?refnum=1872

It looks like a reasonable boat - dated but not overpriced - HOWEVER

I get the impression you have not spent a lot of time on /around boats so would strongly suggest you go and visit some (this one), the slightest difference in 'shape' can make a huge difference to usable space - do you realise that you cannot sit-up in that bed - you will have to slither in / out - where do you keep your clothes - distinct lack of hanging wardrobe space ?

If you spend your money on a survey, then you see the boat and it does 'not work' for you, you have wasted your money. Surely better to spend a few pounds on a bus ticket, see it like it, and then spend £500+ on a survey, rather than t'other way around and loose the £500+

With a minimum budget you will soon spend all of it having boats surveyed which you later dismiss, and end up with no boat and no money.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The 8 year old survey indicated presence of osmosis blisters and a hull moisture of 30%-40%. I would want to know if there has been remedial work done else the hull may be like W+T's in Build Blogs. Go look first but I think I would need an out of water survey.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I get the impression you have not spent a lot of time on /around boats so would strongly suggest you go and visit some (this one), the slightest difference in 'shape' can make a huge difference to usable space - do you realise that you cannot sit-up in that bed - you will have to slither in / out - where do you keep your clothes - distinct lack of hanging wardrobe space ?

I agree with the idea of viewing it, but it'd take me the best part of an entire day, and four buses, to bus it from Glasgow. Train isn't much better. It's a bit of a Catch-22.

As a single bloke, I can't say I'm too worried about a lack of wardrobe space. :D

And, yes, I'm definitely cautious about spending too much on surveys.

1 minute ago, croftie said:

The 8 year old survey indicated presence of osmosis blisters and a hull moisture of 30%-40%.

I would definitely want to know, in the survey, if the boat has deteriorated or not.

1 minute ago, ronnietucker said:

I would definitely want to know, in the survey, if the boat has deteriorated or not.

IMO if it did not have remedial work done fairly soon after that survey it will be a fair bit worse after another 8 years. Personally I would run away and not waste money on a survey.

• Greenie 1

Just now, croftie said:

IMO if it did not have remedial work done fairly soon after that survey it will be a fair bit worse after another 8 years. Personally I would run away and not waste money on a survey.

I think I'll email the seller and ask if anything has been done with the osmosis over the years. If nothing, or no answer, then I agree 101% that it'd be a waste to get it surveyed.

Just a thought, but have you made enquiries if there are any boats for sale at Auchinstarry? Even if they are not suitable for you, it might be helpful for you to look at a few boats before you get involved in buying one

Just looked on Gumtree in Glasgow and there are a few boats on there. 

haggis

Edited by haggis
more info!
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Just a thought, but have you made enquiries if there are any boats for sale at Auchinstarry? Even if they are not suitable for you, it might be helpful for you to look at a few boats before you get involved in buying one

Just looked on Gumtree in Glasgow and there are a few boats on there. 

haggis

I had a quick looksy on Gumtree but there was nothing within my budget. Other's I'm coming across are via Google searches.

I'm window shopping.  :D

2 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I think I'll email the seller and ask if anything has been done with the osmosis over the years. If nothing, or no answer, then I agree 101% that it'd be a waste to get it surveyed.

From the boat seller:

The vendor has not carried out any osmosis treatment since 2009 as the surveyor did not actually recommend within his report that any treatment was necessary.

Well, that's the end of that idea. Its underside has probably been sitting rotting away since 2009.  :(

Aw maaaan. That boat was ideal. Back to the drawing board Google then...

25 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Well, that's the end of that idea. Its underside has probably been sitting rotting away since 2009.  :(

Aw maaaan. That boat was ideal. Back to the drawing board Google then...

Shame but you did say a few posts earlier  "OK, this looks too good to be true" and now you know why :unsure:

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, croftie said:

Shame but you did say a few posts earlier  "OK, this looks too good to be true" and now you know why :unsure:

And that's why I posted it here. I knew there had to be SOMETHING as to why it was too good.

I still keep looking at it and thinking "but even if I can get a good couple of years out of it..." and "maybe it's not been in the water all these years..."  :D

• Greenie 1

Another thought: what if I got a cruiser that needed a bit of work done on its inside? And only on the inside. Me and my dad are good with the DIY side of things.

I'm always keeping in mind that the hull and engine need to be in tip-top shape.

And I'm not falling for the 'project' boat thing. I don't want to have to effectively rebuild the damn thing! :)