I'm gonna be sinking soon.

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Have you tried uv light yet?

Could still be a hole plugged with grit.

No, haven't tried the uv light,i suppose i should. 

When i get nearer a crane, i will try and get it to leak again. 

Still dry today. 

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Cats do tend to squat in the litter tray - but I have never seen one gets its hole plugged.

Ours did a few years back. Male cats can get some kind of crystal (no, not the cats whisker type) built up which blocks them up. They then have trouble peeing. 

7 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Sorry it didn't turn out to be that simple, but good investigational tactic!

Thanks. 

Cheers to Chewbacka. Twas his idea. 

Now time to investigate the unicorn pee detector kit :)

Just to make clear, when you use the UV light it must be dark, and urine is only a dull glow, test it on some dried (urine glows best dry) cat litter to help you know what you are looking for.  Of course it is possible with all the work done on the wet area, you have cleaned away the evidence.  But then again, it may not be the cat.

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Just to make clear, when you use the UV light it must be dark, and urine is only a dull glow, test it on some dried (urine glows best dry) cat litter to help you know what you are looking for.  Of course it is possible with all the work done on the wet area, you have cleaned away the evidence.  But then again, it may not be the cat.

Cheers. I had a quick look, its pretty dark down there, but will give it a go in the dark and the litter tray. After the wet appeared, i didn't touch the area. 

It was not something that would have occurred to me, but for 3 quid worth a try. 

Thanks 

Right. I now have two 'bilge'pumps in place. One is an automatic pump, the other is a Whale gulper shower pump.I am thinking of using a T piece to connect the two outputs to one skin fitting. Anyone see any problems with this, or do I need a NRV in one of the outputs?

Thanks

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes you'll need a NRV on the automatic pump outlet, or the gulper will just discharge its output back into the boat through the auto bilge pump! 

Thanking you. Its 18mm hose, is there an 18mm NRV, or would it need to be reduced to 15mm?

Perhaps it would be better just to chuck one of the hoses out the back doors if required and leave the other on the skin fitting. 

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes you'll need a NRV on the automatic pump outlet, or the gulper will just discharge its output back into the boat through the auto bilge pump! 

Probably/possibly not if the T piece is the skin fitting side and lower than a swan neck in the pipe.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Remember what Mr Punch says !

Is it "sausages" :)

On second thoughts, its too complicated, i will just chuck the hose out the back door if required. 

"Thats the way to do it! "

Sounds like you are all set for whatever you find...

Just one thought, when you were doing the work in a combined space was it during the hot weather and could it have been sweat droplets?

1 minute ago, Paringa said:

Sounds like you are all set for whatever you find...

Just one thought, when you were doing the work in a combined space was it during the hot weather and could it have been sweat droplets?

No, I don't think so,as it would have occurred in other areas too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update

The boat made it the 60 odd miles to the crane without further leakage. We await lifting tomorrow. 

I am tempted to start poking around with a pointy thing and hammer later today(feeling braver directly under the crane). 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Update

The boat made it the 60 odd miles to the crane without further leakage. We await lifting tomorrow. 

I am tempted to start poking around with a pointy thing and hammer later today(feeling braver directly under the crane). 

I'd feel braver with the slings underneath the boat, the driver in his cab and the crane engine running.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd feel braver with the slings underneath the boat, the driver in his cab and the crane engine running.

Good luck.

Thanks. 

You may have a point. Perhaps i will leave it until tomorrow morning. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Update

A boat that has sunk under a crane is still a sunk boat, although stage one of recovery will be rather more convenient than usual! ;) If you can't resist poking about, at least have a few softwood wedges to hand. :D

Good luck with the work. 

Just now, Sea Dog said:

A boat that has sunk under a crane is still a sunk boat, although stage one of recovery will be rather more convenient than usual! ;) If you can't resist poking about, at least have a few softwood wedges to hand. :D

Good luck with the work. 

Ive been sleeping with wedges and supports for the last 4 weeks with my arm dangling over the bed and one hand on the bilge pump.