Bow Thruster. (Girlie button)

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Forgive a naive question - and I am sure I will regret asking it when I hear the answer - but what is a girlie button ? 

The clue is in the title 

Oh hang on, unless you were referring to Loddons post, then you would have to ask him 

Edited by rusty69

37 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Forgive a naive question - and I am sure I will regret asking it when I hear the answer - but what is a girlie button ? 

It's the button you press to stop a girlie yammering away in your ear and going on about stuff you have no interest in. It is basically a mute button for women; as pointed out men are usually unsuccessful in locating said button. Well that's my interpretation anyway.

I would just like to add to this thread that Sue,as I now know is her name, has no knowledge of me starting this thread, I started this thread for my own curiosity as to what may be the problem with the bow thruster. It seems is does work and there's no issue whatsoever with the thruster. Just a lack of handover details to the new owner from the previous owner.

it certainly was not my intention to be accused of discrediting any individual or business.

Alls well that ends well. If it were my thruster I would have checked batteries,connections etc. No one could expect Sue,a new comer to boating and boats, to sis out any defects. I trust this thread won't reflect on her relationship with Braunston Marina and the staff.

martyn

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

I would just like to add to this thread that Sue,as I now know is her name, has no knowledge of me starting this thread, I started this thread for my own curiosity as to what may be the problem with the bow thruster. It seems is does work and there's no issue whatsoever with the thruster. Just a lack of handover details to the new owner from the previous owner.

it certainly was not my intention to be accused of discrediting any individual or business.

Alls well that ends well. If it were my thruster I would have checked batteries,connections etc. No one could expect Sue,a new comer to boating and boats, to sis out any defects. I trust this thread won't reflect on her relationship with Braunston Marina and the staff.

martyn

Well put, Martyn, and well done for setting into motion an interesting post -- even if it went to unexpected places.

4 hours ago, grahamjnewman said:

I'm the service manager at Braunston and I can assure you all, and the includes Sue the buyer, that the bowthruster does work. You just need to know how to turn it on at the panel. I will prove to Sue that it works and show her how. Hopefully you will all stop knocking Tim and Braunston Marina. Tim gives huge amounts of money to canal based charities and this is clearly not appreciated by some.

I don't think anyone was knocking either Tim or Braunstone marina the regulars here took the OP for what it was a general enquiry about what the possible cause was for a specific problem they had come across whilst in conversation with someone this morning. The answers have been made in the context of the OP hence the light hearted approach together with some general replies giving either specific technical advice or more generalised advice for these type of problems. 

As far as I can see no specific complaint seems to of been raised. 

If you can reread the thread from the start with the above points in mind I'm sure that you will see that no complaint has been made about anyone certainly not Braunstone or Tim. 

ETA Rereading the OP it says that Tim was referred to as Nice Tim  seems like a compliment to me. 

Also the OP does say they were asking the question 

"Just for my own satisfaction.. .. "

Edited by reg
Add refs to OP

Picking up on post 13 of this thread ....... I've seen a Rosie and Rosie holding hands, as yet no Jim and Jim, but the funniest was Rosie and Jim with crosses stitched for eyes and sporting a noose each. 

12 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Some boats are fitted with girlie buttons to enable incompetent drivers to move the pointy end of the boat around whilst keeping the tiller resolutely in the straight ahead position. They are the ones you hear coming through bridge holes on very windy days with the sound of a large hairdryer ensuing from them but the wind still taking charge.

On 7/6/2017 at 13:09, mross said:

Well, if I bought a boat fitted with a bow thruster, I'd want it working.  It's not really for others to tell OP not to use it!  It's up to each of us whether to fit them or not.  One day it will come in useful.

Oh mross, I think you have missed the whole point of this forum, I thought it was for us to force our opinions on others not to accept that they may have a different viewpoint!

23 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks. Any idea of the etymology of how this came about. 

Presumably the etymology of "girly button" would be that it's not necessary and only a girl would resort to using such a thing. It's a pretty sexist comment when you actually stop to think about it.

Edited by NickF
  • Greenie 1

Yes, 'girly button' is male chauvenistic bombast and I will try not to use the term.  At work, I tried to stop my staff from using engineering terms such as 'pear shaped' and 'tits up' as they are similarly sexist.  

I wonder if wussy button would be acceptable.  It's pretty harmless to mock people who are not ashamed to demonstrate to the world that they have not mastered the tiller!

Any better suggestions for a new soubriquet?

35 minutes ago, mross said:

Yes, 'girly button' is male chauvenistic bombast and I will try not to use the term.  At work, I tried to stop my staff from using engineering terms such as 'pear shaped' and 'tits up' as they are similarly sexist.  

I wonder if wussy button would be acceptable.  It's pretty harmless to mock people who are not ashamed to demonstrate to the world that they have not mastered the tiller!

Any better suggestions for a new soubriquet?

I always thought "pear shaped" was the wonky result of making a sphere badly, ie close but actually of no use, so not really a sexist comment.

Wussy is an interesting word as I have only ever heard it used by men to insult other men, depending upon context being a slur on their masculinity or sexuality, so if 'pear shaped' is a no no, then wussy must be as well.

On 06/07/2017 at 20:55, Nightwatch said:

As the title of the thread,a switch that operates the bow thruster.

Well said.

The poster didn't know so asked and this has led to postings that didn't give the answer only ridiculed the question. It just shows why some people don't ask on here when they don't know

This is all being unfair to the device. When I get to be 103 years old, I may need the assistance it can provide. What is ripe for mockery is the misuse that is often seen of it rather than the device itself, so I suggest "farting sideways" as a suitable term for that.

Well I have one and I used it last week in the Anderton lift. I went in first, secured the stern and the bows drifted across where the other boat wanted to come in. I had 3 choices,

Let the other boat push in beside me, that didn't bother me but it may have bothered the other boat.

Walk through the boat to the bows and use a shaft to push the boat back across.

Stay where I was and press a button.

I know which was the fastest, lest risky and easiest.  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I have one and I used it last week in the Anderton lift. I went in first, secured the stern and the bows drifted across where the other boat wanted to come in. I had 3 choices,

Let the other boat push in beside me, that didn't bother me but it may have bothered the other boat.

Walk through the boat to the bows and use a shaft to push the boat back across.

Stay where I was and press a button.

I know which was the fastest, lest risky and easiest.  

Or, once the stern is secured, engage gear and 'drive' the bow back into position.

• Greenie 1