Bow Thruster. (Girlie button)

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

If the boat was sold as having a bow thruster the broker/vendor should pay to fix it.  Buyer needs to protest in writing ASAP. What the surveyor said is irrelevant and he will have tested it when all batteries were probably recently charged - not his fault.  I doubt if surveyors have time to assess the condition of each battery.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Well, if I bought a boat fitted with a bow thruster, I'd want it working.  It's not really for others to tell OP not to use it!  It's up to each of us whether to fit them or not.  One day it will come in useful.

Yes. Useful when reversing long distances. 

And for making a penetrating screaming whooping noise if it ever gets a bit quiet out on the cut.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was speaking to a nice lady this morning as she confessed to me that she has just purchased a boat from Nice Tim at Braunston.

Her pride and joy has a girlie button that her surveyor says works but the on site crew, Nigel, says it doesn't. She is experiencing difficulties getting this rectified. 

Anyway. She believes it electrical rather than hydraulic as there's a battery at the bow. 

Question. If the battery is duff or is low on power would this suggest that is the reason for the intermittent operation? Any other suggestions. 

Just for my own satisfaction as I have waved Cherio to her. Or should that be Von voyage?

2 questions.

1.How much has the new owner used it?

2. How long has it had to recharge between uses?

Correct answers are 1. Little, 2. Lots.

if the answers are reversed, then........

Bod

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

I agree wholeheartedly. It is so nice to be on a forum where there are so many "fantastic experts" in the art of driving a boat. I do hope you all realise the sarcasm in this post.

I suspected sarcasm might be involved by the " - ".

Your final sentence confirmed this.

I'll try you on one - what a really useful and informative post - there, what do you think?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Bod said:

2 questions.

1.How much has the new owner used it?

2. How long has it had to recharge between uses?

Correct answers are 1. Little, 2. Lots.

if the answers are reversed, then........

Bod

1. The owner has owned it for three days. Not at all.

2. Don't know. I personally think it might be duff low battery.

Edited by Nightwatch

14 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I suspected sarcasm might be involved by the " - ".

Your final sentence confirmed this.

I'll try you on one - what a really useful and informative post - there, what do you think?

For what it's worth I agree with him. 

Howard

The Vetus control panel /system can confuse.  You need to press the power button twice to enable the system then the green light will come on (this can be difficult to tell in bright sun) and it will beep for you. You can then use the arrow buttons and should get water squirting as expected.  To turn it off you only need to press the power button once, it also turns itself off after a few minutes. I find it is never powered on when it could be useful and turns itself off 10 seconds before you want to use it, it also beeps as it turns off but a different beep pattern. 

6 minutes ago, howardang said:

For what it's worth I agree with him. 

Howard

Sorry, do you agree with Nightwatch that the post was sarcastic - so do I. Or do you agree with 'content' of the post. If the second, I can't agree, I think there is a lot of expertise on here.

I used to be lazy & use the bow thruster when pushing off a bank to a lock( when hovering wasn't possible).Bow thruster tube sprang a leak,so is now welded up.Don't really miss the 'girly button',but it would be useful sometimes when reversing onto our mooring on the Newport Arm at Norbury.Sometimes there are a lot of other boats there...

Edited by The Bearwood Boster

33 minutes ago, Detling said:

The Vetus control panel /system can confuse.  You need to press the power button twice to enable the system then the green light will come on (this can be difficult to tell in bright sun) and it will beep for you. You can then use the arrow buttons and should get water squirting as expected.  To turn it off you only need to press the power button once, it also turns itself off after a few minutes. I find it is never powered on when it could be useful and turns itself off 10 seconds before you want to use it, it also beeps as it turns off but a different beep pattern. 

This ^^^^.

DQ came with a Vetus bow thruster, and I thought it was faulty until the surveyor told me you had to press the on/off button twice to energise it.

58 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Sorry, do you agree with Nightwatch that the post was sarcastic - so do I. Or do you agree with 'content' of the post. If the second, I can't agree, I think there is a lot of expertise on here.

I agree with both his points. 

You are right, of course, that there appears to be a lot of expertise on this board, but like every forum there is wheat and chaff!:-)

Howard

2 hours ago, frahkn said:

'Twas ant I that said anything was sarky. I don't want lynching for something I didn't do.

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I agree.

i haven't met the boat. It's in Braunston I'm not. Apparently it once made a noise,now it don't. Why I thought it may be low/duff battery.

I'm the service manager at Braunston and I can assure you all, and the includes Sue the buyer, that the bowthruster does work. You just need to know how to turn it on at the panel. I will prove to Sue that it works and show her how. Hopefully you will all stop knocking Tim and Braunston Marina. Tim gives huge amounts of money to canal based charities and this is clearly not appreciated by some.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, grahamjnewman said:

Tim gives huge amounts of money to canal based charities .......

That is completely irrelevant!  No one has knocked Tim or Braunston.  For example, my post merely said that any complaint should be made in writing in a timely manner.

I'm sorry but why does a member of your staff believe it doesn't work. And the purchaser.

Here, we have a lady who has purchased a boat and doesn't know a great deal about them. I little bit of knowledge sharing, in this case wouldn't have gone a miss, in my view.

Oh! And where have I knocked Tim. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mross said:

That is completely irrelevant!  No one has knocked Tim or Braunston.  For example, my post merely said that any complaint should be made in writing in a timely manner.

There's hasn't been a complaint to my knowledge. The purchaser mentioned to me that she had bought a boat and there were a number of issues regarding it. She is very excited and just wants everything to work that there.