Trad v Semi-Trad v Cruiser!!....Fight Night!!

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I suspect this is a common boy-girl split.

I want an engine room. But then, I am also one of those apparently weird and bold birds who will happily do the steering into locks part too... 

It's almost like there is no real gender divide about these things, only societal expectations! Madness!

On 05/07/2017 at 20:20, Neil2 said:

And you have somewhere to put your mug of tea, nicholsons guide, camera, GPS, notebook, etc etc.  

Another minor but important irritant with a cruiser stern. They all have to go on the floor while on a trad they rest on the slide hatch along with your glasses, phone, bottle of wine, and stern line instead of hanging it on the tiller. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another minor but important irritant with a cruiser stern. They all have to go on the floor while on a trad they rest on the slide hatch along with your glasses, phone, bottle of wine, and stern line instead of hanging it on the tiller. 

mmmmm, some kind of table perhaps? 

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On top of the gas locker works too... And I put my phone on top of the case for the engine panel, it is comfortably wide enough and also under the lip of the roof. 

3 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Like others I find steering a cruiser a pain as the throttle control is never where you need it

Nonsense.

The Morse control is in exactly the right place for me to push it forward with my shin and backwards with my calf

You control the speed of your car with your foot

Richard

Edited by RLWP

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually the only boats you see with the steerer indulging in this ludicrous practice are trads.  Cruisers generally have the rope sprawled all over the deck.  

10 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

I want an engine room. But then, I am also one of those apparently weird and bold birds who will happily do the steering into locks part too... 

It's almost like there is no real gender divide about these things, only societal expectations! Madness!

You've always been a trailblazer

Not true on my boat.  

9 hours ago, Starcoaster said:

On top of the gas locker works too... And I put my phone on top of the case for the engine panel, it is comfortably wide enough and also under the lip of the roof. 

Exactly the same on mine.  Another reason why a reverse layout works better with a cruiser stern while a standard layout works better with a trad stern.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not true my friend, as you can see i can fit everything on the roof, coats, ropes, teas, phones, radio, life ring, loads of space of a couple of chairs, plus the gas locker is big enough to sit two on, i have a couple of cushions that are perfect to keep the bum from going numb.

Four people can all stand on the deck, and still cruise.

WP_20170613_11_01_44_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170513_18_06_24_Pro_LI.jpg

As we do most of our cruising in late Autumn, early Spring we prefer a trad style stern. It is more comfortable in inclement weather. Prior to buying a boat we hired cruiser boats in the afore mentioned seasons. A cruiser stern is a bitterly cold place when the winds are howling and it is hissing it down with rain.

Just my take.

11 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As we do most of our cruising in late Autumn, early Spring we prefer a trad style stern. It is more comfortable in inclement weather. Prior to buying a boat we hired cruiser boats in the afore mentioned seasons. A cruiser stern is a bitterly cold place when the winds are howling and it is hissing it down with rain.

Just my take.

Life is too short to ever cruise in wind/rain or bitterly cold weather. There will always be a pub get attable during such times and the boat remains tied up.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Life is too short to ever cruise in wind/rain or bitterly cold weather. There will always be a pub get attable during such times and the boat remains tied up.

Thus speaks a man with a home mooring within a hose-pipe length of a water tap!

Ours is a trad stern, as liveaboards it works really well for our wants and needs.

The hatch is big enough for one of us to stand "inside" without getting in the way of the person with the tiller.

Bike rack & wirrly gig holder behind the swan neck. Inside the hatch (before entering the bedroom) on one side is where we keep all the tools, spare parts, oil, pins, goat chain, wet weather gear etc. and the other side is dedicated to the washing machine, laundry soap, cloths pins and some spare gardening stuff, seeds, extra pots, part bags of compost & soil.

There's a fair amount of storage space under the board where his tools are, we have the "emergency porta pottie" down there along with the chain saw, grinder, sander & buffer and other bits & pieces...stuff you only need a couple of times a year.  We don't store anything under the washing machine for obvious reasons, although there is ample space down there beside the hot water tank.

Access to the batteries is under the boards where his tools are, but you don't need to remove both boards to get at the batteries, access to the engine bay is under the stairs in the hatch it only takes him a couple of minutes to remove the stairs.

Since we have a trad layout rather then reverse, we do our socializing in the front well deck, which comfortably fits 4, 2 on director chairs and 2 on cushions on the side lockers.  I wouldn't like the thought of entertaining at the back of the boat...guests would need to walk through our bedroom to get to the loo, grab another bottle of vino etc.

Trad stern works well for us, although they don't seem very common on widebeams.  I've only seen a couple of others in the 4 years we've been cruising.

Edited by Bettie Boo

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Now that is just showing off! :D....all very posh! :captain:

But would say - not quite the 'Trad' stern I expected.

have enjoyed this thread - thanks all :cheers: - I'm just a fat clumsy old git so extra space and 'kiddie' rails to stop me falling in has always been my initial draw.

7 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

have enjoyed this thread - thanks all :cheers: - I'm just a fat clumsy old git so extra space and 'kiddie' rails to stop me falling in has always been my initial draw.

If you stand inside the hatches on a trad and close the doors behind you, it's really difficult to fall in!

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you stand inside the hatches on a trad and close the doors behind you, it's really difficult to fall in!

Hmmm...will have to try that but would need convincing....I like the space so penned in, whilst saving my embarrassment does seem to delimit my rose tinteds :)

11 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Shame they took the Wurlitzer Juke Box off just before the Photos were taken:D

:D shouldn't there be a bar with disco ball above as well.

so far from the boating that attracted me, but no doubt often occupied by the type of woman that I never met but yearned for in my teenage years.....well, memories fade but....

9 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I have seen someone step back and be tipped over head first into the canal by the low "kiddie rails". If I must fall in in prefer it to be feet first. :angry:

Exactly, and they are handy for keeping kids and dogs on board too. :D