We're just reached TWO MILLION posts!! Thank you to those who have contributed to Canal World. Read the announcement here 

Naughty Cal

Naughty-Cal Takes The High Road

168 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Hmmm I was beginning to think that! Are there any narrowboats/barges up there cruising about? 

No.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Hmmm I was beginning to think that! Are there any narrowboats/barges up there cruising about? 

 

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

It's 10ft wide 58ft long flat bottomed cat D I think. We're certainly going to explore the northern England canals, but wanted to find out more about Scottish waters, I haven't found a huge amount of info on t'Internet!  

Scottish canals don't allow flat bottomed narrow boats on the Caledonian. Not sure about wide beams.  To get between the Lowland canals (Union and Forth and Clyde) and the Crinan and the Caldedonian requires sea passage which flat bottom boats are not really suited for. One tried it but had to turn back before getting very far from the canal after having to be rescued

haggis

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

No.

 

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

 

Scottish canals don't allow flat bottomed narrow boats on the Caledonian. Not sure about wide beams.  To get between the Lowland canals (Union and Forth and Clyde) and the Crinan and the Caldedonian requires sea passage which flat bottom boats are not really suited for. One tried it but had to turn back before getting very far from the canal after having to be rescued

haggis

 

Thanks folks, that saves a potentially costly mistake! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

It's 10ft wide 58ft long flat bottomed cat D I think. We're certainly going to explore the northern England canals, but wanted to find out more about Scottish waters, I haven't found a huge amount of info on t'Internet!  

There is plenty of information available about cruising in these Scottish waters, but you need a boat that is suitable for more boisterous and changeable weather conditions. Although it is a fantastic cruising area you need to be prepared with a suitable boat and ready to cope with frequent changes of weather.  Why not charter a boat for a few days to give it a try?

 

Howard

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, howardang said:

There is plenty of information available about cruising in these Scottish waters, but you need a boat that is suitable for more boisterous and changeable weather conditions. Although it is a fantastic cruising area you need to be prepared with a suitable boat and ready to cope with frequent changes of weather.  Why not charter a boat for a few days to give it a try?

 

Howard

Thanks Howard, that is a definite possibility, I haven't been to Scotland and that would be a great way to visit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I remember seeing a widebeam moored at Inverness , opposite the Ship Space museum.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, howardang said:

There is plenty of information available about cruising in these Scottish waters, but you need a boat that is suitable for more boisterous and changeable weather conditions. Although it is a fantastic cruising area you need to be prepared with a suitable boat and ready to cope with frequent changes of weather.  Why not charter a boat for a few days to give it a try?

 

Howard

Moved a James Silver Twin Screw Motor Boat from the Crinan Canal out to Oban then through the Caledonian in 1983.nice Timber Boat well suited for Coastal and Deep water use.we even used the Walker Trailing Log for Speed confirmation.the Boat had been used in and around Jockland since the 1930's but had no Heating at all!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I think I remember seeing a widebeam moored at Inverness , opposite the Ship Space museum.

 

I think there are a few moored as liveaboards

haggis

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, haggis said:

 

Scottish canals don't allow flat bottomed narrow boats on the Caledonian. Not sure about wide beams.  To get between the Lowland canals (Union and Forth and Clyde) and the Crinan and the Caldedonian requires sea passage which flat bottom boats are not really suited for. One tried it but had to turn back before getting very far from the canal after having to be rescued

haggis

 

Having been along Loch Ness in a cruiser it is not somewhere i would like to be in a flat bottomed canal boat!

Thanks for all the posts, I have really enjoyed reading about your trip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

On our way back. 

20170721_141351.jpg

I wasn't there, I don't know our or Liam,but I have followed your adventures. This photo brings sadness to me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I wasn't there, I don't know our or Liam,but I have followed your adventures. This photo brings sadness to me.

It is quite sad to be coming back. 

We will go back at some point though. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is quite sad to be coming back. 

We will go back at some point though. 

Summat to look forward to. Memories are made if this, someone sang in the past.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are now back home safe and sound. 

20170721_232352.jpg

A big thanks to Tony Tugboat for getting us back in one piece. 

3 hours ago, LEO said:

Have a good trip back, see you have the Dodge this time, Great Pictures - Thanks.  

Mike.

The land cruiser was definitely more comfortable as a passenger but the dodge certainly pulled better with the boat in the back.

Now time for some snooze!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, billS said:

Did you manage a trip to Balamory Tobermory?

 

23 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No. The weather was against us. 

The staff here say it is highly unusual for the wind to blow easterly directly at the marina as it has been doing this past few days.

We have been unlucky I guess. But we have still enjoyed it and we still have a weekend on home waters to enjoy.

Great excuse to go back again NC :P

Thanks for the great photos, really enjoyed keeping up with your Northern adventure.

 

Edited by cuthound
Edited to remove duplicate post.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Great excuse to go back again NC :P

Thanks for the great photos, really enjoyed keeping up with your Northern adventure.

 

It is indeed :)

We have a few other places to tick off the list first though.

Thames next we think.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of pictures taken by Tony on the way up.

Driving onto the trailer wasn't much fun.

And this was a big rig to be towing around the back streets of Oban and the tight roads around Loch Lomond!

FB_IMG_1500715953903.jpg

FB_IMG_1500715980527.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.