Naughty-Cal Takes The High Road

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Looks like good weather too. You're making me realise we should do the Cally too, especially as it's on the doorstep. Have to be in a hire boat though.

yes, they don't like narrowboats on the Celedonian. We did it on gamebird (slight V bottom) but SC were not too happy about it 

I am enjoying your photos. Rachel.

haggis

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Looks like good weather too. You're making me realise we should do the Cally too, especially as it's on the doorstep. Have to be in a hire boat though.

I can recommend Caley Crusers (never tried Le Boat they may be just as good, I just don't like all those fenders!)

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

The weather has been great today. T shirts and shorts weather. Probably means it will be cold and rainy all day tomorrow.

We can't complain so far.  Only one day we have given in due to the wind.

Just now, NickF said:

I can recommend Caley Crusers (never tried Le Boat they may be just as good, I just don't like all those fenders!)

From what we have seen their boats look very nice.

Unfortunately their no fender policy does mean that even their flagship brand new boats now are showing signs of very heavy use.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Loch Oich is very pretty. 

I agree, Loch Oich is very different in character to the other two. ...love the photos! 

The Bridge of Oich over the river at the North East end of Loch Oich I found fascinating . It is a suspension bridge but each side is self supporting. It may interest you as an engineer Rachael, but I don't know what kind of engineer you are. Civil, mechanical , electrical ?

Edited by NickF

After a nice morning mooching around Loch Oich we have headed through Laggan bridge and locks and are now moored on Loch Ceann. 

It is a tad blowy so we have we have decided to stay put for a few hours as the winds is due to drop later.

20170713_103834.jpg

20170713_120659.jpg

20170713_124751.jpg

Looks like we have picked out with the weather. Should have been heading out to sea to Kentallen this morning but visibility is very poor and sea conditions too lumpy to make any serious progress. So it's a days shore break to Fort William.

Looking ahead we will probably not be getting off the canal until Monday now when conditions should be considerably better.

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

Worse places to be stuck than Fort William. A train trip to Mallaig might be interesting for you

haggis

We are technically stuck in Caol , but it is only a short bus ride into Fort William. 

And we are next to the pub which seems alright. And the pontoon is very sheltered. Only downside is we have no power supply so we are having to run the engine which we hate doing just to charge batteries but when needs must!

Check out 'Treasures of the Earth' on the other side of the bank, in Corpach. It has a roof! Surprisingly even the wife enjoyed it, who definitely has no taste in mineralogy. May be a bit late now!!

Edited by Afloat
town name wrong

10 hours ago, haggis said:

Worse places to be stuck than Fort William. A train trip to Mallaig might be interesting for you

haggis

I can recommend itJacobite.jpg.eaecd96c2fdd0c20561cd752d59f3aa9.jpgd it!

Edited by NickF

21 minutes ago, rgreg said:

You can just take the regular service train, which is a lot cheaper too! 

Suspect we will have a busy day today. Liams mum is coming to visit. 

Hopefully on the move tomorrow. 

Feels wrong staying on a lock landing for so long but we can't go down into the basin as there is a cruise ship in there that doesn't leave until tomorrow.

Guessing the Swedish yachts in front of us will go today as the forecast is at least for dry weather today. Just too windy for us to go but they won't mind that! 

We have had a lovely day with Liams mum having lunch in Fort William before heading out in the car for a spot of sight seeing.

20170716_152427.jpg

20170716_164613.jpg

20170716_164853.jpg

20170716_165044.jpg

The weather looks much better for tomorrow so it looks like we can finally leave the canal.

We will be heading straight to Oban and missing Kentallen out. But we have seen more here than expected so no great loss.