Cromwell to Torksey

john6767

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Really giving me confidence this is..........

Take a chart and follow it.  I'm pretty sure that those who run aground have not been paying attention, cutting corners or not using a chart.

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Stick to the channel and you will be fine.

There are massive boards at the sunken islands telling you which way to go!

Not at Butler's Island where the boat was aground.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

No surprise the OPs worried if this chap ran aground 4 times:)

Edited by rusty69

Well we made it, 2 hours 50 mins Cromwell to Torksey lock cut.  We have to wait here until 4:30 for there to be enough water to get into the lock.  

It was very shallow for the last mins, felt like we going along a beach at low tide.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes there is. 

The Boating Association chart I have shows a warning sign either end of Butlers Island.

The note for that bit states: If water is very low the shallows will stretch a long way into the river, but with care it is quite possible to follow the channel and not go aground.

Edited by pearley

29 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Well we made it, 2 hours 50 mins Cromwell to Torksey lock cut.  We have to wait here until 4:30 for there to be enough water to get into the lock.  

It was very shallow for the last mins, felt like we going along a beach at low tide.

Doddle though innitt.

The island is very will signed even if you don't have the charts, which I do have

the only hard bit was the concentration to keep switching sides of the river to follow the deep water.

i have a picture of the island as we came past but internet not good enough to post it right now.

Here's the picture of the island

IMG_2363.JPG

37 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes, although as I mentioned quite a bit of concentration required 

Once you have done it a few times it becomes easier. You don't concentrate on it so much.

Mind you that is when you will run aground :D

I think the warning signs near Butler island only mention a sunken island. Which Butler island isn't. There is a sunken island a few hundred metres up stream. Maybe this guy thought he could pass Butler on either side and cross before the sunken island. 

29 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I was obviously concentrating so hard on my (very old, annotated) chart and on the grounded boat that I didn't notice any signs! However, my chart only marks a sign on the north (Torksey) end.  I saw all the rest of the signs!

There are definitely two.

1 hour ago, MHS said:

I think the warning signs near Butler island only mention a sunken island. Which Butler island isn't. There is a sunken island a few hundred metres up stream. Maybe this guy thought he could pass Butler on either side and cross before the sunken island. 

You are correct the sign does say sunken island, which clearly it is not.  They are very close to Butler island though, so I dont think they are referring to anything else.

The pontoons in the lock cut were rammed with narrowboats breasted up, and as there were a couple of boats coming down going to Cromwell today, they came down first so with the ones stopping below the lock there was a game of boat Tetris as our group of 4 left to go up.  As I was the only narrowboat with VHF the lockie gave me the job of organising the others, great!

Anyway now up through Torksey and moored on the visitor moorings, Lincoln tomorrow.

We came up from west Stockwith Yesterday. 

Its neap tides  so not very strong . Hardly made any affect - about 1 knot.  Quite shallow the whole way - but by that I mean 5ft in places. Stick to the chart and you will be fine any time.

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

We came up from west Stockwith Yesterday. 

Its neap tides  so not very strong . Hardly made any affect - about 1 knot.  Quite shallow the whole way - but by that I mean 5ft in places. Stick to the chart and you will be fine any time.

How do you know the depth? Have you got an echo sounder?

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes our boats have depth sounders fitted.

Will be interested to see what ours says when we get into Loch Ness!

We think it will get to 999ft and then give up.

Edited by Naughty Cal

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Will be interested to see what ours says when we get into Loch Ness!

We think it will get to 999ft and then give up.

Sorry to disappoint but its only about 750ft officially

Keith Stewart found that the loch goes to a depth of 889ft in 2016

Edited by croftie

18 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Its usual  for cruisers capable of travelling on the sea to have a speed through the water and depth gauge . We also have GPS speed over ground is handy to see how much speed you are getting when going with the tide - or losing when against  the tide .

I noticed a narrowboat entering West Stockwith the other day had the same equipment . That is unusual I think. It would be a bit pointless on a canal and not exactly cheap. I usually switch my depth gauge   off on the  Fossdyke as the shallow depth alarm sounds all too often.

In a narrowboat it must be tempting to cut the corners on the Trent - but obviously best avoided .