Battery charging with solar/engine

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Barroca Grande 2 said:

Well I couldn't upload my videos but here are a couple of photos.  One of the Victron (ignore the straps these were taking the weight of the new battery as I installed it using my feet to push it onto the swim).  Two is the engine panel showing that the domestic light didn't come on and it should.  three the engine running showing the domestic light does actually have a slight glow.  (I think that is right obviously I took these in April and I have slept since then) shame I can't upload the videos.  It would explain such a lot.

Just for future reference, it is helpful to quote correct and complete part names / numbers - particularly when the part you 'don't quote' relates to the problem you are having.

Remove the front cover and take a pic of the 12v outputs and lets see what is connected.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Just for future reference, it is helpful to quote correct and complete part names / numbers - particularly when the part you 'don't quote' relates to the problem you are having.

Remove the front cover and take a pic of the 12v outputs and lets see what is connected.

I appreciate that but I am not on the boat at the moment my son is.  I will be back on the boat in August and hopefully heading up to Northampton with all things ship shape and as they were before it was installed in a marina for a year.  By front cover do you mean of the Victron?  it is scary back there.  I did however take pictures of the back of the engine panel to see if I could spot an obvious loose connection there but it all looks fine (to me)

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

DSC_0257.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

7 minutes ago, Barroca Grande 2 said:

Ah in that case it will have to wait until August.  Thanks anyway.

We need to see if all of the battery charging outputs are wired. 

In the mean time I suggest you put a jump lead from the leisure batt +ve to the engine batt +ve. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We need to see if all of the battery charging outputs are wired. 

In the mean time I suggest you put a jump lead from the leisure batt +ve to the engine batt +ve. 

Thanks might do that if push comes to shove.  We are visiting in three weeks time to put my new leisure batteries in a week before I take it over, so will see if all is resolved then.  Tara ra bit.

I would say that not running your engine for weeks or months is bad for the engine as the oil will drain off the surfaces it should be protecting.  My understanding is that an engine should be run monthly to avoid premature damage.  If you do run it, it needs to run till it is nice and warn - say an hour, otherwise condensation in the oil will accumulate and not 'boil' off.  This would also be enough to keep the starter battery reasonably charged, though a small solar panel with a cheap pwm controller or an output from your combi - if it has one - would also be beneficial.  As the starter battery does not need much to keep it happy, I would not go to the expense of new split charge relay systems etc.

Edited by Chewbacka