Like to organize a short (Mon-Fri) boating holiday

mdavid

Featured Posts

Hi, A good friend of mine has his 70th birthday this September and I'd like to organize a canal boating holiday for 3 guys, we're all in good health but have no experience of boating so would appreciate any tips on how and where to hire a boat. The idea comes from watching boats in Bath on the river Avon, that area seemed really idyllic, we'd coming from London and I'd like somewhere within a couple of hours travel. Happy to receive any suggestions or info.

Thanks for any help

David

For a first trip I would definitely avoid Bath! I'd go for somewhere on the Oxford - eg .

The later ones are further north and so will have even fewer locks. All would enable you have a relaxing and gentle first trip - just take your time, stop early and go to the pub.  You can stick to narrow locks as well, if you want - easier to operate and more gentle.

Not sure about a 5 day hire, but you can but ask.

If you want something rather different then try Foxes at March in the Fens: http://www.foxboats.co.uk/

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

1 hour ago, sueb said:

Wyvern at Leighton Buzzard and Latelink.com

My vote to Wvern too. On the GU at Leighton Buzzard. A top hirer. Choice of North up past Milton Keynes, or South towards London. Perhaps trying the narrow Aylesbury arm on the way. 

20 hours ago, Jak said:

My vote to Wvern too. On the GU at Leighton Buzzard. A top hirer. Choice of North up past Milton Keynes, or South towards London. Perhaps trying the narrow Aylesbury arm on the way. 

So not Bath to Reading !?:D

i want to do the Devizes staircase but boy!?...there's two days just getting to the top

....given my skills ;)

Edited by The Grumpy Triker
Missed last comment

56 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

So not Bath to Reading !?:D

i want to do the Devizes staircase but boy!?...there's two days just getting to the top

....given my skills ;)

Nah! 4 hrs on your own 2 and a half with a crew, you'll love it :D

On 6/28/2017 at 20:16, mdavid said:

Hi, A good friend of mine has his 70th birthday this September and I'd like to organize a canal boating holiday for 3 guys, we're all in good health but have no experience of boating so would appreciate any tips on how and where to hire a boat. The idea comes from watching boats in Bath on the river Avon, that area seemed really idyllic, we'd coming from London and I'd like somewhere within a couple of hours travel. Happy to receive any suggestions or info.

Thanks for any help

David

There are boats bookable here at Oxfordshire narrowboats tro suit your purpose. Its also an easy drive for you and they do single sex parties. However I doubt they will have any available at such short notice but you can ring  them direct on 01869 340348 rather than the rigmorole of on line booking. The Oxford canal is one of the easiest on the system.

Thanks Scholar Gypsy and all the others who've helped give this idea a big shuv towards reality. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Scholar Gypsy your last suggestion Willow Wren was the most user friendly and accessible, found available boats there at reasonable prices, what's your opinion of them?

This is what the internet's for to help turn dreams into reality.

Thanks

David

The Bath / Bradford on Avon area is very busy in summer but lovely out of season, The Avon from Bath can be truly wonderfull but goes into flood easily and is not  good for the inexperienced.

As you are inspired by the wonderful K&A.....

I suggest hiring from Bradford on Avon, then a good day to the bottom of Devizes flight, up the flight in the morning then on to Pewsey to arrive early evening.  Book in advance at the Waterfront Bar (upstairs) who will provide good beer, good food, and look after you well. Back to Devizes for beer (and food) at the Black Swan then down the flight and back to BoA.

This might all be just a little a bit tight as hire companies often manage to reduce a 5 day hire to closer to 4 (late start, early finish) so in this case hire from Foxhangers right at the bottom of the Devizes flight.

Get on the K&A facebook page and see if any local boaters will turn out to help you up Devizes flight, though most days it has several good volunteers.

..............Dave

21 minutes ago, mdavid said:

Thanks Scholar Gypsy and all the others who've helped give this idea a big shuv towards reality. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Scholar Gypsy your last suggestion Willow Wren was the most user friendly and accessible, found available boats there at reasonable prices, what's your opinion of them?

This is what the internet's for to help turn dreams into reality.

Thanks

David

I am sure others are better informed than me, but they've always looked well run & maintained boats, and I like the more traditional design they use too. But much of that is not very relevant I know. I've never hired a boat from these or any other firms... 

And the people on board are invariably friendly - not sure how they manage that!

Hi Dave, your suggestion of BoA and the Devizes flight sounds great, although a bit daunting for first timers. in terms of time how much would be spent on the locks and how much quite boating?

Thanks

David