boat heating

Featured Posts

Welcome witchy female on river Avon :)

Yes I have experience of them. Gorgeous little units that work brilliantly, but suitable mainly for people with deep pockets as they absolutely gobble up the gas. 

On the other hand a tiny Springer should be easy to heat. A lot depends of what insulation you have behind them wall panels...

Have you considered blown air diesel heating?

We have the Webasto Airtop 2000ST on our cruiser and it is brilliant. Uses between 0.12 and 0.25 litres of diesel per hour depending on the level of heat chosen.

We have recently replaced our air ducting and lagged it all which has greatly increased the amount of heat reaching the outlets. Warms the boat up a treat  in no time at all.

19 minutes ago, witch of osier said:

I'm thinking of installing gas/electric blown air heating on my little 27' springer.  I've looked at Propex.  Anyone had any experience of this type of heating? It looks ideal.  I want to save space, this type of heater unit fits in a cupboard!

Theres a 23 ft springer waterbug moored here with a multi fuel stove on......the owner is never I REPEAT NEVER ever cold 

22 minutes ago, witch of osier said:

I'm thinking of installing gas/electric blown air heating on my little 27' springer.  I've looked at Propex.  Anyone had any experience of this type of heating? It looks ideal.  I want to save space, this type of heater unit fits in a cupboard!

We have a Propex heater in our horse trailer - very efficient in that it gets the heat up quickly - no idea on the gas consumption we just turn it on and it switches off when the thermostat tells it to.

The gas cooker also runs from the same bottle and we don't seem to use a huge amount - just change the bottle when its empty.

My only question would be the venting and exhaust system which 'as standard' seems to vent thru the bottom of the trailer - obviously not an ideal option in a boat.

Is a 'boat kit' available ? - be very aware of the problems / dangers of bodged up exhaust systems.

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have you considered blown air diesel heating?

We have the Webasto Airtop 2000ST on our cruiser and it is brilliant. Uses between 0.12 and 0.25 litres of diesel per hour depending on the level of heat chosen.

We have recently replaced our air ducting and lagged it all which has greatly increased the amount of heat reaching the outlets. Warms the boat up a treat  in no time at all.

Where does the ducting run, out of interest?  Is it really superior to a diesel and radiator system?  Is it modulating or on/off?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Arent we :D

Yes!

No doubt you agree with me about fat boats being an abomination unto the lord, too, innit, like... (!)

Pselling edit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

19 minutes ago, mross said:

Where does the ducting run, out of interest?  Is it really superior to a diesel and radiator system?  Is it modulating or on/off?

Our heater unit is in the engine bay. The ducting runs from there through cavities and under the bed to an outlet in the cockpit and an outlet in the cabin.

With warm air heating you don't need to find space for radiators. The air moving around the boat also keeps the air dry and condensation at bay.

The system is fitted with a thermostat so that the unit slows down when the desired heat is reached in the cabin. We also have a timer fitted to ours so that the boat is toasty warm when we wake up without leaving the heating on all night.

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes!

No doubt you agree with me about fat boats being an abomination unto the lord, too, innit, like... (!)

Pselling edit.

Oi! :D

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have arranged with The Lord for yours to be an honorary narrow boat, so you're excused!

Indeed you shower with me blessings.............. 

From a fabulous fat boat :clapping:

3 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Indeed you shower with me blessings.............. 

From a fabulous fat boat :clapping:

I don't remember yours being especially fat. What beam are you?

Oh, and same question for your bote <snigger> :D

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't remember yours being especially fat. What beam are you?

Oh, and same question for your bote <snigger> :D

I say chap that's a personal question to ask a gal...............

She's 10ft beam, nice bit of extra space but doesn't look like a slab wallowing down the cut, in my opinion! 

Just now, Meanderingviking said:

She's 10ft beam, nice bit of extra space but doesn't look like a slab wallowing down the cut, in my opinion! 

Please miss, mine was only 10ft 6in miss

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

My apologies, you didn't need to answer.

Now, what about your boat...

God, nice wine, this!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

God, nice wine, this!

That reminds me its beeeeeeer oclock :D well its always beeeer oclock innitt

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

Oooh er Mrs!  :D

A very manageable size :D

Back on a sewer tube now :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

God, nice wine, this!

I'm on the Shiraz what is sir quaffing this fine evening?