boat heating

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

That reminds me its beeeeeeer oclock :D well its always beeeer oclock innitt

Gwarn then, what beer do you serve in that plaice of yours??!!

Just now, Meanderingviking said:

I'm on the Shiraz what is sir quaffing this fine evening?

Viognier. 

YERMMM!!

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

That reminds me its beeeeeeer oclock :D well its always beeeer oclock innitt

Back on a sewer tube now :unsure:

Ah but at least you can cruise everywhere, compromises in everything unfortunately :glare:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Im ont boat so will be having some blue moon in a minuet. I must apologise and admit I sell poxy san miguel on draught in my place :o but I so sell some nice bottled stuff honest.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Viognier. 

YERMMM!!

You mind your head in the morning young man :cheers:

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

You mind your head in the morning young man :cheers:

Lol, you can't have bin looking properly, I'm ancient!

Anyway I have a boier to mendy first thing in the morning, in Sutton Surrey at 12 midday so I better be careful...

Lol, you can't have bin looking properly, I'm ancient!

Anyway I have a boier to mendy first thing in the morning, in Sutton Surrey at 12 midday so I better be careful...

Is that a boiler with a bit missing ........... ;)

Blimey, a GURL who can do accents!

<Ducks for cover...>

Ha ha better duck for cover behind something, I can throw accurately too....... and I know what your boat looks like :ninja:

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Ha ha better duck for cover behind something, I can throw accurately too....... and I know what your boat looks like :ninja:

With skills like that you're in danger of being reclassified an honorary bloke, innit... ;)

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

With skills like that you're in danger of being reclassified an honorary bloke, innit... ;)

No no no its whether you're going to be classed as an honorary GURL ..................:P

1 minute ago, Meanderingviking said:

No no no its whether you're going to be classed as an honorary GURL ..................:P

NOOOOO!!!!

I'd be terrible at being a GURL. All that oil and diesel I spend my life dossing about in....

NOOOOO!!!!

I'd be terrible at being a GURL. All that oil and diesel I spend my life dossing about in....

Ah ha your point being ?????? :D

To get back on topic.....

I have a Trumatic C3402, (I think thats the model number), which provides warm air, and a small'ish amount of hot water, (12 litres?) - enough for a wash in the handbasin, and washing up the pots, but not a shower.

The warm air heater is enough to take a chill out, but not enough to keep the boat warm when the world outside is cold. I also sense that it uses a lot of gas, (170-285 g/h according to the instructions). I guess a 13kg cylinder would be used in about 57 hours at 225 g/h. Iuse it mainly for hot water and, occasionally, for warm air heating.

My main heater is a Boatman Stove, which keeps the boat nice and toasty, even in the depths of winter. keeping it going 24/7 uses a 20kg bag of Excel every 3 days, at £8 a bag.

If I had to have one, or the other, for heating, the Trumatic would have to go, (I'd obviously need another source for water heating, so it suits me to have both).

• Greenie 1

I already have a small woodburner, was hoping to take it out to give me more space.  The Propex system claims to use about a 13kg of gas per week, if used continuously.  As I'm on a very small narrowboat I hoped the warm air would be sufficient.  What sized boat are you on?

9 hours ago, witch of osier said:

I already have a small woodburner, was hoping to take it out to give me more space.  The Propex system claims to use about a 13kg of gas per week, if used continuously.  As I'm on a very small narrowboat I hoped the warm air would be sufficient.  What sized boat are you on?

Typical price for a 13kg bottle of gas is about £28, so quite an expensive way to heat a small boat compared to coal or diesel heating.

10 hours ago, witch of osier said:

The largest gas Propex has a heat output of 2kW IIRC. This is about half the output of a typical small solid fuel stove and might just about be good enough on its own to heat a tiny narrow boat. 

I'd suggest buying a spare though if you take the stove out, as swapping it over if it fails in mid winter will be the quickest fix and you'll NEED a quick fix with no stove. 

14 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

To get back on topic.....

I have a Trumatic C3402, (I think thats the model number), which provides warm air, and a small'ish amount of hot water, (12 litres?) - enough for a wash in the handbasin, and washing up the pots, but not a shower.

The warm air heater is enough to take a chill out, but not enough to keep the boat warm when the world outside is cold. I also sense that it uses a lot of gas, (170-285 g/h according to the instructions). I guess a 13kg cylinder would be used in about 57 hours at 225 g/h. Iuse it mainly for hot water and, occasionally, for warm air heating.

My main heater is a Boatman Stove, which keeps the boat nice and toasty, even in the depths of winter. keeping it going 24/7 uses a 20kg bag of Excel every 3 days, at £8 a bag.

If I had to have one, or the other, for heating, the Trumatic would have to go, (I'd obviously need another source for water heating, so it suits me to have both).

Not so sure about this.

We use our boat in the depths of winter and our (diesel) blown air system keeps the boat toasty warm in the cabin and comfortable enough to sit out in the cockpit. On a narrowboat you wouldn't have to heat a cockpit area so all of the heat will be directed into the cabin.

As for costs to run. Our particular unit uses between 0.12 and 0.25 litres of diesel an hour. Our last batch of diesel was £0.60 per litre. So the cost is between £0.075 and £0.15 an hour. We don't keep it running 24/7 as the boat gets too hot. At a guess it will run for 12-16 hours a day during the winter. Take an average of 14 hours say and that is between £1.05 and £2.10 a day to heat the boat. Hardly worth worrying about.

14 hours ago, witch of osier said:

Our boat is 25ft x 8ft and a 2KW blown air heater gets the cabin too hot if left on full power.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not so sure about this.

We use our boat in the depths of winter and our (diesel) blown air system keeps the boat toasty warm in the cabin and comfortable enough to sit out in the cockpit. On a narrowboat you wouldn't have to heat a cockpit area so all of the heat will be directed into the cabin.

As for costs to run. Our particular unit uses between 0.12 and 0.25 litres of diesel an hour. Our last batch of diesel was £0.60 per litre. So the cost is between £0.075 and £0.15 an hour. We don't keep it running 24/7 as the boat gets too hot. At a guess it will run for 12-16 hours a day during the winter. Take an average of 14 hours say and that is between £1.05 and £2.10 a day to heat the boat. Hardly worth worrying about.

Our boat is 25ft x 8ft and a 2KW blown air heater gets the cabin too hot if left on full power.

On my previous seagoing boat, (Moody 44), I had an Eberspacher diesel blown air heater which got the boat toasty in the depths of winter, and was cheap to run, so I completely agree.

However, my experience of a gas fired blown air heater is completely different, in that it is not very powerful, and quite expensive.

I am obviously talking about my Trumatic, and have no experience of a the Propex in the OP.... but I wouldn't want to get rid of an existing coal fired stove for a gas warm air heater until I was certain that it would do the job, in terms of heat and cost.