Changing moorings

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You wouldn't, which is why I was saying virtually no-one uses email clients. Email clients were only necessary 15 years ago when webmail services like Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail didn't exist, or were in their infancy or viewed with suspicion. 

Email and WWW are actually separate and different internet protocols. Back in the day, when data was EXPENSIVE and slow to send and receive, email was a very fast and cheap way of communicating compared to anything involving the WWW.

These days people thing email and web are the same thing, i.e.the internet. They aren't. The internet is the network of computers, email is a protocol for sending messages, and the WWW is a protocol for sending whole files (with images and links) which your browser can open and display on your screen.

Thanks for that......clear as mud to me :D

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You wouldn't, which is why I was saying virtually no-one uses email clients. Email clients were only necessary until about 15 years ago when webmail services like Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail didn't exist, or were in their infancy or viewed with suspicion.

I used Thunderbird until quite recently, i bet quite a few still use it. 

9 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I still use Thunderbird as well.

It still has many advantages to web mail. The only reason I stopped using Thunderbird is because I couldn't get it working with gmail 2 step authentication. 

I have several email addys. Two of them are web based but the one that is by FAR the busiest is a client address. I receive around 200 emails a day (and not all of them are junk!) to that address. 

I MUCH prefer a client (Outlook 2010, Thunderbird, whatever) to web based. As has already been said I can go back over ten years on emails (and have needed to go back several years on occasion), try doing that with Gmail. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I have several email addys. Two of them are web based but the one that is by FAR the busiest is a client address. I receive around 200 emails a day (and not all of them are junk!) to that address. 

I MUCH prefer a client (Outlook 2010, Thunderbird, whatever) to web based. As has already been said I can go back over ten years on emails (and have needed to go back several years on occasion), try doing that with Gmail. 

Easy.

Just checked and they are all there and readable, back to when I first abandoned Thunderbird for Gmail on 17/9/2005.

All 24,162 of them.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Easy.

Just checked and they are all there and readable, back to when I first abandoned Thunderbird for Gmail on 17/9/2005.

All 24,162 of them.

Blimey your a quick reader 

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Easy.

All 24,162 of them.

Having read this I just loggen on to my hotmail account and they are all there right back to the first one I sent by hotmail ten years ago and quickly opened.