Changing moorings

Featured Posts

Hi all we are changing our moorings do i have to give notices ,because why i am asking i when we moved on to the moorings 4 years ago  they never gave us a contract telling us what you can do and no to do they just gave us a till receipt , and they said just moor over there ,and i have paid mouthy for the last 4 years ,i have sent them emails rang them with on answer thank Dave and Jean

1 minute ago, Dave Bebb said:

Hi all we are changing our moorings do i have to give notices ,because why i am asking i when we moved on to the moorings 4 years ago  they never gave us a contract telling us what you can do and no to do they just gave us a till receipt , and they said just moor over there ,and i have paid mouthy for the last 4 years ,i have sent them emails rang them with on answer thank Dave and Jean

Its usual to give notice but it differs ar each location. Seems like they dont care a hoot so I would just give them the date you are vacating by proper letter and email and pay up till that date.

21 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

I'd say just vanish when you are ready to go and stop paying. 

Unless they can produce a tenancy agreement with terms and conditions containing notice terms and signed by you, there will be damn all they can do about it, even if they wanted to.

I'd suggest once you have gone, they'll just start looking for a new tenant and you'll hear no more about it. If they contact you with demands for money, tell them you won;t be paying anything and ask them to outline the basis on which they think you owe them anything. 

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

It's always fair to give some notice,even as little a week. Don't burn bridges etc.

True, but the OP has done just this, with no response.

",i have sent them emails rang them with on answer thank Dave and Jean"

If you have had no reply, you can't assert that you actually told them.  Theoretically, you could have out-of-date contact details.  Can you not walk to the office?  You said the mooring was "over there".

Hope this does not sound rude.  It wasn't meant to.  If they never reply I would stop paying monthly!

I ain't no expert  but.....  if it was 4yrs ago it might be construed as a 'verbal' agreement or contract then it's down to who said what to who. Depends if they want to be a***y about it.  If it was me, I would send a registered letter then it can be argued you did the best you could.  

Thanks for all your info i am going to pay this mouths moorings which are dew on the 1/7/17 and write them a letter saying this is the last payment and i will be leaving at the end of the next mouth and hand it in to the office or post it in there letter box. gives us one more mouth to get my next mooring sorted out thanks again 

2 hours ago, mross said:

If you have had no reply, you can't assert that you actually told them.  

I'm sure you can if you've kept the sent emails. They might not be 100% proof, but I'm sure print-outs of sent emails would constitute evidence in a court. 

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm sure you can if you've kept the sent emails. They might not be 100% proof, but I'm sure print-outs of sent emails would constitute evidence in a court. 

or send an e mail with a read receipt request, then you know if its arrived.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The recipient can refuse read requests on some email clients.

Most email clients don’t support read receipt requests and the ones that do have options to disable it.

Edited by Robbo

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most people use web mail these days rather than an email client.

I've never noticed an option to set read receipts on Gmail.

But you can use an email client to send webmail, can't you? (I'm thinking Thunderbird).

Email printouts are often given in evidence in Court -- usually as an "exhibit" to a witness statement. 

13 hours ago, Dave Bebb said:

Thanks for all your info i am going to pay this mouths moorings which are dew on the 1/7/17 and write them a letter saying this is the last payment and i will be leaving at the end of the next mouth and hand it in to the office or post it in there letter box. gives us one more mouth to get my next mooring sorted out thanks again 

Problems begin with poor communications. So I would modify your actions slightly. When going to pay, verbally thank them for the past 4 years moorings and explain that with effect from 31 July you will be moving your boat. Obviously you then back that up with the letter.

Edited by keith.

18 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But you can use an email client to send webmail, can't you? (I'm thinking Thunderbird).

Email printouts are often given in evidence in Court -- usually as an "exhibit" to a witness statement. 

Yes indeed, but I don't think gmail will respond by sending a read receipt, so you are no further forward. (Unless both sender and receiver are using a old fashioned email client like Thunderbird, which seems unlikely.)

Who here uses their own standalone email client and who uses a web mail service?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

pure standalone client here, general email is held (non-spam) is held for 5 years, selected email is held in an archive going back just under 20 years.

amazing how often my saved emails have come in handy when a client says "why did you do X on our project, we would never have asked you to do that"

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, keith. said:

Problems begin with poor communications. So I would modify your actions slightly. When going to pay, verbally thank them for the past 4 years moorings and explain that with effect from 31 July you will be moving your boat. Obviously you then back that up with the letter.

Absolutely spot on, note your conversation in a diary or notepad and keep a copy of your letter. You will then have made every effort to give notice, which you will be able to prove.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes indeed, but I don't think gmail will respond by sending a read receipt, so you are no further forward. (Unless both sender and receiver are using a old fashioned email client like Thunderbird, which seems unlikely.)

Who here uses their own standalone email client and who uses a web mail service?

Being a dinosaur I dont have a clue what you mean. I use a thing called hotmail and press a send button so what is that? or ocasionaly gmail where I do precisely the same?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Being a dinosaur I dont have a clue what you mean. I use a thing called hotmail and press a send button so what is that? or ocasionaly gmail where I do precisely the same?

Hotmail is webmail. 

An 'email client' is an email program installed on your own computer, completely separate from your browser. Microsoft Outlook Express is probably the best known email client, and who uses that these days? Not even dinosaurs like you!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hotmail is webmail. 

An 'email client' is an email program installed on your own computer, completely separate from your browser. Microsoft Outlook Express is probably the best known email client, and who uses that these days? Not even dinosaurs like you!

Thanks Mike I wouldnt have a clue how to or why I would ever bother to install an email programme? All my pooter stuff seem to work first time out of the box so to speak? I never use any gadgets to stop bad things either and never seem to catch any colds or whatever they are called, same with diesel I never use an additive and have never caught a bug, wird innitt.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Here you go, Thunderbird

Thunderbird-American-Grape-Wine-75cl-fro

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks Mike I wouldnt have a clue how to or why I would ever bother to install an email programme? 

You wouldn't, which is why I was saying virtually no-one uses email clients. Email clients were only necessary until about 15 years ago when webmail services like Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail didn't exist, or were in their infancy or viewed with suspicion. 

Email and WWW are actually separate and different internet protocols. Back in the day, when data was EXPENSIVE and slow to send and receive, email was a very fast and cheap way of communicating compared to anything involving the WWW.

These days people percieve email and the web are the same thing, i.e.the internet. They aren't. The internet is the network of computers, email is a protocol for sending messages over that hardware network, and the WWW is a different protocol for sending whole files (with images and links) which your browser can open and display on your screen.

AIUI. IANAE.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman