Selby-Naburn-Selby

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Sanddancer said:

I've just done it both ways going was fine but the return against the flood was at times a struggle 

Oh yes its far more fun than the llangollen :D

Having done it twice in a cruiser I would have said a narrowboat is the better choice for this journey due to the better protected prop and all of the debris in the river. Steel definitely better than GRP.

I expect the main issue would be arriving at Selby and having enough power to turn and be facing upstream and into the flow. Im my cruiser I recall being asked to let the narrowboats go in first as I had 170hp at my disposal. But thankfully did not need to use all but a few of those horses. My memory of Selby lock is a bit hazy but think it's possibly wins the prize for most tricky entry with Keadby on the Trent being a close  second . All subject to opinions of course - others may think differently.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Having done it twice in a cruiser I would have said a narrowboat is the better choice for this journey due to the better protected prop and all of the debris in the river. Steel definitely better than GRP.

I expect the main issue would be arriving at Selby and having enough power to turn and be facing upstream and into the flow. Im my cruiser I recall being asked to let the narrowboats go in first as I had 170hp at my disposal. But thankfully did not need to use all but a few of those horses. My memory of Selby lock is a bit hazy but think it's possibly wins the prize for most tricky entry with Keadby on the Trent being a close  second . All subject to opinions of course - others may think differently.

By far the most challenging of them all to me was one time at West Stockwith with poor timing on a huge tide in 2000 see I can even remember the year!! oh yessir that was most interesting and I now know the colour of Adrenelin!! :D

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

By far the most challenging of them all to me was one time at West Stockwith with poor timing on a huge tide in 2000 see I can even remember the year!! oh yessir that was most interesting and I now know the colour of Adrenelin!! :D

West Stockwith is dead easy. 

Mind you we don't find Keadby or Selby too challenging either!

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

West Stockwith is dead easy. 

Mind you we don't find Keadby or Selby too challenging either!

Thats cos youve got a proper boat with a sensible power to weight ratio not a bloody floating skip like us numpty narrowskip owners drive :D

• Greenie 2

I've done it more times than I can remember twice this year. Debris on the flood from Selby is the biggest problem. Twice in the past 10 year a boat I was on stalled after getting a large branch in the prop - restarting in reverse does the biz. Big springs are best avoided if it's your first time otherwise nowt to be concerned about.