Reading town

Timx

Featured Posts

Just a note about the Kennet and Avon canal, having just been up to Bristol and back,it's great lots of easy moorings in my two monthly experience. Other experiences could differ but I found everywhere fab fab fab. So stayed at cunning man before I went back on Thames, but I saw pub advertised in Reading as free moorings and eleccy and water,so decided to spend a couple of nights here before going back on river Thames.

Obviously if you drink and eat  in their premises.Manager is a very friendly guy

Went in there last night and three  boats hired boats from local hirer arrived. About thirty young people got off the boats, and went to the pub their the bel and dragon, at first only a few, couple on guitars, then a few girls singing to the music.Then more and more came in, saxophone trumpet  then a brass section, more and more instruments, All youngsters under thirty , fantastic night.Was like being in a concert,it won't always be like that but if in the area try to moor in bel and dragon moorings. I am travelling around the system and some places are remarkable. I found the whole canal fantastic, with the contrasts of countryside and towns and city. Managed to get moorings everyday by a pub only tied to a tree on two occasions, both on the river by pubs.just saying.

7 minutes ago, Timx said:

Just a note about the Kennet and Avon canal, having just been up to Bristol and back,it's great lots of easy moorings in my two monthly experience. Other experiences could differ but I found everywhere fab fab fab. So stayed at cunning man before I went back on Thames, but I saw pub advertised in Reading as free moorings and eleccy and water,so decided to spend a couple of nights here before going back on river Thames.

Obviously if you drink and eat  in their premises.Manager is a very friendly guy

Went in there last night and three  boats hired boats from local hirer arrived. About thirty young people got off the boats, and went to the pub their the bel and dragon, at first only a few, couple on guitars, then a few girls singing to the music.Then more and more came in, saxophone trumpet  then a brass section, more and more instruments, All youngsters under thirty , fantastic night.Was like being in a concert,it won't always be like that but if in the area try to moor in bel and dragon moorings. I am travelling around the system and some places are remarkable. I found the whole canal fantastic, with the contrasts of countryside and towns and city. Managed to get moorings everyday by a pub only tied to a tree on two occasions, both on the river by pubs.just saying.

Luv it and thats what I have generaly but not always found. Thanks god I dont have to leave my boat and go and live in some sort of weird building :huh: why do people do that?

• Greenie 1

Have spoken to two boaters in the last month who both said "did it once, never again", so thank you for posting a more realistic view of the K&A.

Have spent the last ten winters on the K&A so think we have decided to spend this winter up North, but having second thoughts already, not sure I can go a whole year without a visit.

..............Dave

20 minutes ago, dmr said:

Have spoken to two boaters in the last month who both said "did it once, never again", so thank you for posting a more realistic view of the K&A.

Have spent the last ten winters on the K&A so think we have decided to spend this winter up North, but having second thoughts already, not sure I can go a whole year without a visit.

..............Dave

There are no " No go " areas that I have found. Some are easier and " nicer " than others but all are well worth the visit.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

Don't go we'll miss you ........ :D

Bel & Dragon - a chain pub that thinks its a little upmarket. Very expensive chips made more so when waitress drops two on the floor and does not replace them. I seem to recall about 8 chips in a fairy bucket for over £3 so minus 2 = 50p per chip.

K&A is in my view dangerous for all but the very fit over much of its length. Idiot gearboxes on paddles that make fast closing in an emergency impossible. Only way up onto the balance beam to walk across was/is via a sort of steel stirrup hanging down from the beam that is very difficult to find with your toe when trying to get down.

Few if any water points at east end bar a £5 a fill at a boatyard in Newbury. Several water points right next to DIY pump outs giving hygiene concerns. Wild mooring difficult unless you are happy to make a leap of faith into overgrown goodness knows what to get a line ashore and then use the plank.

It should be a must do, especially the long pound but do it while younger and fitter so you enjoy it.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Idiot gearboxes on paddles that make fast closing in an emergency impossible.

Not ALL locks have the idiot gearboxes. Not even all locks that CRT would like to have them!

There appears to be an ongoing war between boaters and CRT at Cadley lock. CRT fit idiot gearboxes with about 120 turns from UP to DOWN on the bottom gate paddles, and regular boaters periodically unbolt them and chuck then in the cut. CRT then come back and replace them.

Every time I pass through that lock, there is a different combination of idiot gearboxes and ultra-stiff-to-operate paddles. I suspect each time an idiot gearbox comes off, CRT get a stream of complaints from hire boaters about how stiff the paddles are...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

There certainly aren't so many 'easy moorings' if you're deep in the water and some of the locks are heavy and awkward but we've done it three times now and probably enjoyed it more each time. 

Just been through the various locks on the L&L between Wigan and Liverpool, Gathurst and Appley Bridge in particular make the K&A locks look positively civilised and well maintained.

.............Dave

Been on most of the K and A for over 10 years now, i'm still alive! You just need to be a bit savvy about where you moor and sometimes plan ahead. It more than makes up for awkwardness with some stunning stretches, good pubs to visit, access to train stations and historic places to visit. There is also a vibrant and interesting community here.

Thanks for heads up Timx. We will moor at Bel and Dragon Friday night. Spoke to Owner on phone and have to say he seems the keenest and happiest landlord ever. So boat friendly. We have also been down to Bristol and have loved almost every moment on the K&A. 

Yep we moor at the Bel and Dragon when passing . Just be aware that if the river is running ( unlikely for the foreseeable ) that the weir gives you one hell of a tug , but under normal conditions you wouldnt notice it was there . The K and A is a ' challenging' waterway at times . The paddles contrary and the lock gates heavy but not as heavy as some on the Grand union and not as heavy as the ones leaving Wigan for Liverpool  . So enjoy . ! Bunny

On 02/07/2017 at 16:01, Bunny said:

Yep we moor at the Bel and Dragon when passing . Just be aware that if the river is running ( unlikely for the foreseeable ) that the weir gives you one hell of a tug , but under normal conditions you wouldnt notice it was there . The K and A is a ' challenging' waterway at times . The paddles contrary and the lock gates heavy but not as heavy as some on the Grand union and not as heavy as the ones leaving Wigan for Liverpool  . So enjoy . ! Bunny

Seconded about the weir. I nearly got stuck on it a few years ago. Totally caught me out after several visits in benign conditions.

Another point to make is the free finger moorings are on pontoons only about 20ft long. Any attempt to moor on them in a boat longer than about 50ft ends in tears when the weir is pulling even slightly. 

Moored at the Bel & Dragon. Decent mooring, lovely manager and staff. Had a great night in pub, good meal and good beer. Decent cocktails as well. Free electric, water.. What more can you want? Ps... If you intend mooring there visit the pubs website and you can join and receive a free glass of pretty good wine if you have a meal there! Ian.