Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
welly

Bought a boat, so what now? (legal matters/registration etc.)

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

With the exception of the keys being handed over and the final payment being made to the current owner, the boat is as good as mine. What do I now need to do to ensure everything is above board and legit?

I assume just paying for the licence and getting insurance? I've got some insurance quotes but haven't got the insurance arranged just yet. Is there anything else I need to do? Is there anything that the current owner needs to do?

That's it for now!

Cheers

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, welly said:

Hey all,

With the exception of the keys being handed over and the final payment being made to the current owner, the boat is as good as mine. What do I now need to do to ensure everything is above board and legit?

I assume just paying for the licence and getting insurance? I've got some insurance quotes but haven't got the insurance arranged just yet. Is there anything else I need to do? Is there anything that the current owner needs to do?

That's it for now!

Cheers

You do know that the licence is not transferable don't you ?

 

Well the current owner will need to cancel the licence PDQ - ie before the end of this month, if he cancels it on (say) 1/7/17 then it will be cancelled effectively, from end of July and he will receive back one months 'refund' less than he would have done if he cancelled it on the 30/6/17.

Similarly, if you licence it before 30/6/17 to take effect 1/7/17 then you will get the 'early payment' discount - if you licence it on or after 1/7/17 then you will pay full price and the effective date is backdated to 1/7/17 (even if you were to licence it 30th July)

If you phone C&RT to licence it on or before 30/6/17 then MAKE SURE they understand you want it licenced w/e from 1/7/17 - they will try and backdate it to 1/6/17 and not pay you your discount (don't ask how I know this !!!)

 

Hope you follow all of that.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do know that the licence is not transferable don't you ?

 

Well the current owner will need to cancel the licence PDQ - ie before the end of this month, if he cancels it on (say) 1/7/17 then it will be cancelled effectively, from end of July and he will receive back one months 'refund' less than he would have done if he cancelled it on the 30/6/17.

Similarly, if you licence it before 30/6/17 to take effect 1/7/17 then you will get the 'early payment' discount - if you licence it on or after 1/7/17 then you will pay full price and the effective date is backdated to 1/7/17 (even if you were to licence it 30th July)

If you phone C&RT to licence it on or before 30/6/17 then MAKE SURE they understand you want it licenced w/e from 1/7/17 - they will try and backdate it to 1/6/17 and not pay you your discount (don't ask how I know this !!!)

 

Hope you follow all of that.

Yep, I know I have to get my own new licence and the current owner will get a refund on whatever is remaining on his licence. That's a bit of a pain in the arse re: the early payment discount. I'd be surprised if the current owner would cancel his licence before he's got full payment - currently waiting on the marine mortgage people to pay the owner, who are waiting on the surveyor to provide the report - he only did the survey on Sunday so it's not as if he's been dragging his heels. He said he'd try and rush it through so I'm expecting it this week.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect CRT will require you to licence it from the moment you own it if it is on their waters, so you need to be clear as to the date it becomes yours.  Likewise it should be insured by you from the day you own it.  I assume the boat has a valid BSS or is under 4 years old.

Other than these, enjoy your boating

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I suspect CRT will require you to licence it from the moment you own it if it is on their waters, so you need to be clear as to the date it becomes yours.  Likewise it should be insured by you from the day you own it.  I assume the boat has a valid BSS or is under 4 years old.

Other than these, enjoy your boating

Yeah, it's got a valid BSS (was only tested 6 months ago by all reports). I shall have to arrange both those things asap then. I'm hoping I'll be moving onto it next week :unsure:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the boat is insured by you from the moment you buy it, not the next day or week. If anything happens to it once you own it it could be your loss.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want breakdown cover, you will need to apply to River Canal Rescue  (RCR).

If I recall correctly you aren't covered for breakdowns in the first two weeks, to prevent claims for pre-existing breakdowns.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a boat need to be licenced if it is in a marina temporarily and doesn't go out on the cut? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Does a boat need to be licenced if it is in a marina temporarily and doesn't go out on the cut? 

Some do some don't.

It depends on the marinas T&Cs, and, it depends on the Marinas agreement with the navigation authority.

Our Marina does, the marina 2 miles away doesn't.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Does a boat need to be licenced if it is in a marina temporarily and doesn't go out on the cut? 

depends on the marina and their agreement with CRT

As I understand it the majority of marinas require all boats to be licensed as part of their agreement with CRT for access to the canal network (usually known as NAA or Network Access Agreement).

Some (usually very old) marinas are still operating under old agreements and do not require licenses but these are rare.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

depends on the marina and their agreement with CRT

As I understand it the majority of marinas require all boats to be licensed as part of their agreement with CRT for access to the canal network (usually known as NAA or Network Access Agreement).

Some (usually very old) marinas are still operating under old agreements and do not require licenses but these are rare.

And I would guess the vast majority of marinas require insurance (£3m third party is the standard cover) and a valid BSS, regardless of licensing arrangements.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm on the boat.. moved on last week and have been settling in. It's lovely! I'm very happy and slowly making it my own. A few quick snaps!

IMG_20170712_190854.jpg.e79e3f05aa62f04c749ed0458402e308.jpg

IMG_20170625_121317.jpg.d167e6898b7ee55fd78c8a0ab1bc1717.jpg

IMG_20170625_121741.jpg.9654746f673d82d65e82273c07567513.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.