In your Personal Opinion.....!? Brokers!?

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, lulu fish said:

I've bought and sold through Great Haywood.  I found them to be very good, much more helpful than the other brokers I tried to deal with.

I bought mine through GHBS, although i used my own surveyor rsther than one recommended by them. I was aware of the 5% deposit retention, and it seemed a reasonable way to deter "tyre kickers".

Overall the experience was quick, pleasant and painless.

In the end if the boat you really want is at a brokers you do the like, you either have to buy from them or get another boat...

Edited by cuthound

8 hours ago, 36national said:

When i was looking for a boat I talked to an awful lot of people, many with an awful lot of experience of living on the waterways who knew shedloads about boats. Brokers, continuous cruisers, marina owners, surveyors,  e bay sellers, one who had never not lived on a boat who answered the question "what are the questions I should be asking?" with astonishing succinctness and clarity. I eventually bought through a broker who seemed to know jack. In my opinion they would have been happy selling anything, motorhomes, package holidays or trips on a hot air balloon. They didn't know how to start the engine (it is rather old) wouldn't let me speak to the vendor (maybe the vendor wanted it that way), didnt let me see previous surveys (maybe they didn't know they were in existence) I remember a dangly brass lamp being pointed out as "worth at least a hundred quid" (yea that's great now tell me about the hull). They did do a very efficient job of organising the dry dock and handling the transfer of ownership and added an air of legitimacy to the sale.  After all handing over tens of thousands to a bloke whose address is a couple o hundred yards down from lock 24 towpath side but I'm moving on Wednesday is a bit of a bottle job. Ultimately a broker had the boat I wanted but i did a lot of checking up myself and wasn't overawed by their expertise, and was prepared to walk away from my deposit if things got smelly coz I didn't think that they'd be much help.

This is quality :D

I think comments like these good or personal experience and opinion are useful to all

Have just sold, last week,  our boat with Great Haywood. It went on the first day it was advertised, they did say they had a waiting list of potential buyers and clearly that was the case. No problems at any point of the sale.

We've also bought and sold with New and Used. Again no problems.

16 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Have just sold, last week,  our boat with Great Haywood. It went on the first day it was advertised, they did say they had a waiting list of potential buyers and clearly that was the case. No problems at any point of the sale.

Didyou get your money on the same day the sale went through like I did or did you have to wait lets say 14 days just for the fun of it?

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, 36national said:

... handing over tens of thousands to a bloke whose address is a couple o hundred yards down from lock 24 towpath side but I'm moving on Wednesday...

Beautifully written :)

5 hours ago, Celestine said:

Selling with most brokers is not the issue.....they earn money from a seller......not a buyer ;)

5 hours ago, Celestine said:

Some more focused on sellers than most :D

17 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The last one was

The last one was deleted due to old buddies school

can't this one as accounts of personal opinion and experience is acceptable in any form unless it is derogatory etc.

....in my personal opinion this sales outlet fall short of their advertised professional status in every single sense of every word known to me......in fact, in my personal opinion they have no true care for the buyer at all, and how dare you change your mind despite our reassurances that all will be well.

...a well known phrase from some is that ...why charge a deposit if you have to give it back!?...errmmm it is called protection of buyer and seller...to others.

17 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The last one was

That was a well balanced view...in fact they were still waiting for x number of others to review it.....2-3 weeks later...!?

11 days til next survey and boat purchase :cheers:

16 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

No sh1t Sherlock......BUT!!...You can easily misdirect a buyer and place silly terms in a busy market & that is what some brokers are seen to be doing atm - 

Sorry that was with a smiley ;):)

If I want to install a stove ....what is the difference between a log burner and a multi-fuel.....

......and I don't mean one burns logs and the other does multiple fuel types! :banghead::D

...what exactly is the difference technically, cost wise is it worth paying extra for a narrowboat lounge and is there really a big difference heat output ....any and all experiences welcomed.

7 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

If I want to install a stove ....what is the difference between a log burner and a multi-fuel.....

......and I don't mean one burns logs and the other does multiple fuel types! :banghead::D

...what exactly is the difference technically, cost wise is it worth paying extra for a narrowboat lounge and is there really a big difference heat output ....any and all experiences welcomed.

Generaly a log burner has no need for a riddle or grate at the bottom and is just flat whereas a multi fuel stove has a grate for ash to drop through and an ashpan. Doesnt seem much difference in price.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Generaly a log burner has no need for a riddle or grate at the bottom and is just flat whereas a multi fuel stove has a grate for ash to drop through and an ashpan. Doesnt seem much difference in price.

:cheers:

Am guessing a multi fuel gives best options if prices are similar...will need a co2 alarm as well - was reading up on flues with options there, it all seems to be so decisive on opinions - all good fun :D

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

A true log burner doesnt require a grate, and would preferably have a longer firebox. 

I burn wood and coal on a morso squirrel (not at the same time). The coal tends to like air fed from below, whilst the wood burns better with air from above.

Some people suggest wpod and coal should not be burnt together 

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Am guessing a multi fuel gives best options if prices are similar...will need a co2 alarm as well - was reading up on flues with options there, it all seems to be so decisive on opinions - all good fun :D

We find one of these useful:

th7NTRE1DL.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Just now, rusty69 said:

A true log burner doesnt require a grate, and would preferably have a longer firebox. 

I burn wood and coal on a morso squirrel (not at the same time). The coal tends to like air fed from below, whilst the wood burns better with air from above.

Some people suggest wpod and coal should not be burnt together 

Hadn't thought about the from above and below scenario but that all makes good sense, cheers Rusty...not sure I would burn both at the same time in most scenarios, except for using starter wood to get the flames going.

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

We find one of these useful:

th7NTRE1DL.jpg

A picture of a black dial!? :D

...?...what is it :wacko: ... it a tacograph style monitor but a live measure of CO2 or of heat output?

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Hadn't thought about the from above and below scenario but that all makes good sense, cheers Rusty...not sure I would burn both at the same time in most scenarios, except for using starter wood to get the flames going.

A picture of a black dial!? :D

...?...what is it :wacko: ... it a tacograph style monitor but a live measure of CO2 or of heat output?

It is a magnetic temperature gauge to put on your flue to get the best burn for you stove, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=stove+temperature+gauge

https://www.debrettfires.co.uk/product/valiant-stovepipe-thermometer-temperature-gauge/

• Attaches by a strong magnet
• Use to monitor stove temperature & performance
• Use to measure flue pipe temperature
• Reduce or optimise fuel consumption
• Optimise the stove temperature to reduce chimney deposits
• Decrease the risk of overheating damage
• Shows best operating Temperatures for  Stoves
• Use as an ENERGY METER to save fuel and Improve your Stove’s Performance

Edited by Ray T

23 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

You can believe all the hype yo want or you buy. A good quality multi fuel stove you have a single skinned flue and a co montor with built in battery that lasts about 7 year by such as honeywell for about 20 squid delivered. I have 2 in the boat at twenty quid a pop its a no brainer.

Edited by mrsmelly
numpty 2

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

While we're on the subject of brokers well worth avoiding, whatever happened to Stephen Harrall?

I can't believe he isn't still out there somewhere, flogging boats and stitching people up just like before.

Selling Citroen cars???

https://lostock-gralam.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/harral-brokerage-services-ltd-14397276.html

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

:D yep CO2 levels are of interest but oops!...CO is a bigger threat ...Doh! :rolleyes:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

:D yep CO2 levels are of interest but oops!...CO is a bigger threat ...Doh! :rolleyes:

Yes quite although the effects are precisely the same. co2 is non poisonous but carbon monoxide is poisonous. Flood your boat with either and the result will be precisely the same only due to differing methods, dead is still dead.

16 minutes ago, Ray T said:

It is a magnetic temperature gauge to put on your flue to get the best burn for you stove, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=stove+temperature+gauge

https://www.debrettfires.co.uk/product/valiant-stovepipe-thermometer-temperature-gauge/

• Attaches by a strong magnet
• Use to monitor stove temperature & performance
• Use to measure flue pipe temperature
• Reduce or optimise fuel consumption
• Optimise the stove temperature to reduce chimney deposits
• Decrease the risk of overheating damage
• Shows best operating Temperatures for  Stoves
• Use as an ENERGY METER to save fuel and Improve your Stove’s Performance

Do lots of people on here have these?...it looks like a really nice piece of kit but not sure a muppet like me would benefit from it...or maybe it is the muppets that need it.

does it sit at the top of the flu inside....not sure I'd understand how to optimise my fuel consumption based on a readout of temperature?...but guess that is in the marketing pack.

all great info .....cheers for that....I need all I can get :D

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Do lots of people on here have these?...it looks like a really nice piece of kit but not sure a muppet like me would benefit from it...or maybe it is the muppets that need it.

does it sit at the top of the flu inside....not sure I'd understand how to optimise my fuel consumption based on a readout of temperature?...but guess that is in the marketing pack.

all great info .....cheers for that....I need all I can get :D

It sits on the flue just above the stove. The trick is to try to keep the red indicator between 200 degrees and 600 degrees.

s-l1000[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes quite although the effects are precisely the same. co2 is non poisonous but carbon monoxide is poisonous. Flood your boat with either and the result will be precisely the same only due to differing methods, dead is still dead.

Very true....but I given life's possibilities It is the CO I should worry about :huh: ...the silent killer.....having said that, narrowly a better way to go than oxygen starvation.