Video: (not for faint hearted) Duck boat sinks in Albert dock with 35 people on board

firstboat

Featured Posts

Some viewers may find this upsetting.

All 35 passengers were accounted for.

15th June 2013 

Feel free to post your views / experiences in what you would do in a man overboard situation.

Stay Safe, Happy Boating. :captain:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7aMdwdZukU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Edited by firstboat

31 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Again? I thought they basically outlawed the Liverpool ones because they were incredibly dodgy - the London ones got a major (and costly) refit to bring them up to current regs.

But introduced a new set of risks ....

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/sinking-and-abandonment-of-dukw-amphibious-passenger-vehicle-wacker-quacker-1-in-salthouse-dock-liverpool-england-and-fire-and-abandonment-of-dukw-amphibious-passenger-vehicle-cleopatra-on-the-river-thames-england

To answer the Q

No 1:  don't have a cratch. It makes it almost impossible to do anything useful at the sharp end

No 2: don't recover people at the stern, as it means you can't use the boat's engine and so have no control. On still water this may be OK, on a river or tideway it won't be

No 3: have heaving lines. and a ladder or scrambling net to help people get out.

No 4: get the gongoozlers out of the way, unless they can do something useful.

• Greenie 1

DUKW's were renowned for marching on their bilge pumps. The main one on the original set up being engine driven by "V" belt anything in the shedding/breaking of the belt,engine stopped for any thing but a short time & dependent on the condition of the rubber gaiters around all the holes in the hull for the road going bits & what extra pumping gear they have is basely how long does it stay afloat A friend of a friend of mine ran 2 doing trips from the IOW at Bembridge & against my better judgement I was persuaded to help out in the summer of 73 They were a nightmare how they got the tickets for the more recent company' s is a mystery glad when the season ended & I could take to the water with less chance of it disappearing from under my feet