Cutting Buffalo board.

Featured Posts

I've got myself a sheet off buffalo board. I can make all new seats, locker cover seats and 2 engine covers out off it. 

Whats the best way of cutting it. And what to use to cut the sealed edges. 

The stuff was blooming expensive so want to get it right  

Ive got some off this stuff as a sealer. 

http://www.teknos.com/en-GB/website/uk/uk-industrial/uk-iw/teknoseal-4000-00/

Edited by rustydiver

Seal the edges with a 2 pack paint to prevent moisture ingress. This was done on the deck boards (semi-trad) both of our shareboats, and the boards only needed replacing when the hex pattern wore through to the ply core.

I have about 4 sheets on the old shed that have been open to the weather for years and still in great fettle.

Cut edges were not even treated, i also have made a set of boxs that have been out side for as long, excellent stuff.

Still i would get some Epoxy, you can get it cheap, the two pack jobbies from the pound shop even , goes  along way aswell. I got 5 packs for £1.50.Depends on how much of the edge needs to be sealed once cut.

I used a circular saw and Jig saw to cut it. To get a near splinter free edge run the saw of choice down a batten as a guide with he saw on top of the batten for straight edges.

For curved edges maybe get a sheet of hardboard to make a perfect fit template and then use that as a guide with the Jig saw on top to help prevent more splinters .

If using a jigsaw then ideally either use a downcut blade (which takes some getting used to) or cut the board from the back. Either of these methods will avoid and tear out of the face surface edge. 

On the recommendation of my local boatyard, I made up my own jollop which works very well.

The recipe is a good squirt of Sikaflex (black), an egg-cupful of White Spirit and the same amount of any black gloss paint.

This makes it very watery and allows it to soak deep into the ply edges.  This dries to a watertight seal and makes the edges feel slightly "rubbery",

as well as looking pretty smart.