US boater dies from carbon monoxide

mross

Featured Posts

It depends how often you have to call for help.  If you regularly have to call out the Coastguard or Mountain Rescue, then, yes, you should be sanctioned or even sectioned!  If you ride a motorcycle then you must wear a helmet.

Maybe we should limit the speed of all cars to 15mph as it would be a lot safer for those around the cars.  Maybe on motorways we could increase the limit to 40 mph as pedestrians and bicycles are not allowed.  Of course all vehicles in towns must be electric as well otherwise the pollution emitted especially from diesel will kill far more than CO ever does.  I bet not many agree.

This goes  to show we are all happy to mandate safety rules and force them on to everybody where the rules either don't significantly impact us or we think are a good idea irrespective of what the others think.

49 minutes ago, mross said:

It depends how often you have to call for help.  If you regularly have to call out the Coastguard or Mountain Rescue, then, yes, you should be sanctioned or even sectioned!  If you ride a motorcycle then you must wear a helmet.

Or charged for the call-out?

20 hours ago, frahkn said:

This is an absolute and provable truth - average IQ is 100 - but protecting them against their own stupidity only prolongs and increases the problem.

I can't prove that humanity is becoming more stupid but daily observation seems to indicate this.

• As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species. As the years pass, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.

3 minutes ago, mross said:

The stupid, vain and vapid have a public voice nowadays, which they never had 50 years ago.  But avoiding Twitter, Facebook and reality TV is my way of ignoring this miasma of dross.

Greeny for this delightful phrase. 

May I nick it occassionally? 

6 minutes ago, mross said:

The stupid, vain and vapid have a public voice nowadays, which they never had 50 years ago.  But avoiding Twitter, Facebook and reality TV is my way of ignoring this miasma of dross.

Absolooootely spot on. Twatter, farcebook and such programmes as " Love island " are for the criminaly insane

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Absolooootely spot on. Twatter, farcebook and such programmes as " Love island " are for the criminaly insane

And how would you know, given you never go to any of these places?

I suspect you secretly spend endless hours on Facebook, Twitter etc whilst watching "Love Island" (whatever that is), or you simply wouldn't know so much about them. 

Mrsmelly = busted, lol!

4 hours ago, Gareth E said:

So should I be banned from riding my motor bike, banned from going surfing, banned from going wilderness camping without phoning someone every day to let them know I'm OK? Should the maintains of Snowdonia, the Lake district and the Scottish ranges be cordoned off as unsafe places to visit any more?

If you have read on to post #20 you should have your answer.

5 hours ago, mross said:

But, if you ride it on the road or hilly fields and have a wife or children..................................................?

Road, wife will die if I die. son is 22 and can look after himself 

• Greenie 1

How many people die from CO poisoning on boats? I wonder what the scale of the problem of people needing to be protected from themselves is. Think I read somewhere that there were eighteen deaths last year from dog attacks. How does that compare as a candidate for legislation?

37 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

How does that compare as a candidate for legislation?

Candidate? I thought it was already illegal to keep a dangerous dog (as it should be, IMO).

On 28/06/2017 at 22:36, rasputin said:

Road, wife will die if I die. son is 22 and can look after himself 

What a charmer you are.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I agree. But what is the descending order of intelligence -- idiot, moron, imbecile, cretin? 

os is it idiot,moron,imbecile,cretin, Thunderboat member?

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

os is it idiot,moron,imbecile,cretin, Thunderboat member?

That all depends upon whether your sequence is increasing or decreasing intelligence.  Though I think Thunderboat members are more aligned with the Stephen Hawking end of the scale.

• Greenie 1