US boater dies from carbon monoxide

mross

Featured Posts

The article says a CO detector was fitted, butility they arebnothink sure if it is operational yet.

Unfortunately, just like smoke detectors in homes,  some people will either not maintain them, test them or remove batteries to "prevent nuisance alarms". You can't legislate for that, only hope to educate.

17 minutes ago, mross said:

No but from the article they will be mandatory in that particular area as of next year.

"Minnesota became the first state in the nation to require carbon monoxide detectors in some boats. The law takes effect in May 2018. In the meantime, conservation officers and others in law enforcement are educating boaters about the law and what will be required."

The UK could really do with following suit.

Quite why they are not mandatory as part of the BSC is beyond me.

The difference being that a lot of novice boaters who are the type that usually buy these big petrol engined boats are completely unaware of the risks.

A simple alarm can and does make them aware of the risks associated with these big petrol engines. 

Same goes for people with petrol generators. 

The carbon monoxide needn't be generated by the boat that has an alarm triggered either. In certain conditions our neighbours big V8 triggers our alarm in the cabin.

That's a good reason to have one but not a good reason for them to be mandatory. Being a novice at anything does not remove ones adult status. I know it's not popular but I believe that an adult should NEVER have compulsion placed upon them for "their own good" short of being certified mentally incompetent under the mental health act.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

butility they arebnothink

It's a point of view of course and almost makes sense if read with a Russian accent.

My suggestion (having learnt the hard way myself) is always read back what you've written before hitting Submit Reply.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

It's a point of view of course and almost makes sense if read with a Russian accent.

My suggestion (having learnt the hard way myself) is always read back what you've written before hitting Submit Reply.

Very true, my autocorrect seems to have a mind of its own.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Unless you are single handed, I think you are morally obliged to fit smoke and CO alarms - to protect your family or guests.

Yes and let's keep it that way.

Remember, if you try to make something idiot-proof, the universe will respond by building a better idiot.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

That's a good reason to have one but not a good reason for them to be mandatory. Being a novice at anything does not remove ones adult status. I know it's not popular but I believe that an adult should NEVER have compulsion placed upon them for "their own good" short of being certified mentally incompetent under the mental health act.

I agree with your comments mostly but problem is what if the adult has a young child onboard who dies due to co poisoning? Seatbelts in cars are compulsory and having been to several RTAS in the past its obvious why they need to be. People are inherently stupid and often need protecting against themselves as is blatantly evident when people still buy cigarettes which have for many years stated on the packet they will kill you.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

People are inherently stupid and often need protecting against themselves as is blatantly evident when people still buy cigarettes which have for many years stated on the packet they will kill you.

This is an absolute and provable truth - average IQ is 100 - but protecting them against their own stupidity only prolongs and increases the problem.

I can't prove that humanity is becoming more stupid but daily observation seems to indicate this.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I just can't agree. How many things could save lives. Life jackets, anchor, vhf, lifebelts, boarding ladder. At some point adults have to make their own decisions. There are many pastimes that claim lives. It's unfortunate but having decided an alarm is a good idea doesn't empower me to impose my decision on others. If people choose to put THEMSELVES at risk by not having an alarm, biking without a helmet or quite unnecessarily scaling a rock face then that is a matter for them alone.

Death and life changing injury places a massive cost on society; both literally and metaphorically. The fact that the individual concerned may have deliberately chosen a risky course of action does not make that OK or tolerable for everyone else.

It isn't about themselves. Some things are not tolerable for society as a whole - the role of the seatbelt in road traffic accidents is a good example.

JP

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

The risk averse want to curtail the risk takers because they perceived the outcomes will cost them money lol

Well do you want the NHS to spend it's funding on treating victims of easily preventable accidents or on state of the art cancer treatment?

JP

I hope not to live long enough to see the risk averse win, fortunately I have 2 weeks on the sea coming up where I can do what I want, Well, we wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do
And we wanna get loaded and we wanna have a good time

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Well do you want the NHS to spend it's funding on treating victims of easily preventable accidents or on state of the art cancer treatment?

JP

You need to wake up to the fact that we can't stop the whole of the population from dying, be that from falling off a cliff face or from cancer 

7 hours ago, rasputin said:

I hope not to live long enough to see the risk averse win, fortunately I have 2 weeks on the sea coming up where I can do what I want, Well, we wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do

7 hours ago, rasputin said:

You need to wake up to the fact that we can't stop the whole of the population from dying, be that from falling off a cliff face or from cancer 

The fact that we will all die one day is a really poor reason not to take steps to prevent premature and unnecessary death; like building a fence above a dangerous cliff face. Cancer is most definitely beatable; it will happen in time.

No one is saying you can't take risks just that a mature attitude would say "I will take the obvious steps to protect myself and minimise my impact on others". That's exactly what fitting a carbon monoxide detector is doing to relate back to the original point. Sometimes society - through the elected bodies of Government - is best placed to understand where the balance of risk and reward for all lies.

The attitude of "I'm free to do whatever I want and sod the consequences and what everyone else thinks" is a mental state I would associate with a child rather than an adult.

Enjoy your sailing or whatever you are up to on the sea. Undoubtedly one of the most dangerous places you can go but no one here has even come close to suggesting you shouldn't be allowed.

JP

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, rasputin said:

Presumably during your two weeks at sea you won't be entering any harbours where you are required to have insurance?

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Presumably during your two weeks at sea you won't be entering any harbours where you are required to have insurance?

Too right, but I will be putting it back on my mooring that does require insurance :)

18 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Death and life changing injury places a massive cost on society; both literally and metaphorically. The fact that the individual concerned may have deliberately chosen a risky course of action does not make that OK or tolerable for everyone else.

It isn't about themselves. Some things are not tolerable for society as a whole - the role of the seatbelt in road traffic accidents is a good example.

JP

So should I be banned from riding my motor bike, banned from going surfing, banned from going wilderness camping without phoning someone every day to let them know I'm OK? Should the maintains of Snowdonia, the Lake district and the Scottish ranges be cordoned off as unsafe places to visit any more?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

So should I be banned from riding my motor bike, banned from going surfing, banned from going wilderness camping without phoning someone every day to let them know I'm OK? Should the maintains of Snowdonia, the Lake district and the Scottish ranges be cordoned off as unsafe places to visit any more?

Mummy knows best