New Bow Doors

Featured Posts

Hi All,

One of the things i have in mind for our new large girthed boat is upgrading the existing bow doors. They are made of wood and have glass windows and although look great they are not the most secure. I was wondering what people's advice was on upgrading these rather than replacing them?

Im not too sure the best place to start looking but i was thinking about an iron grill on the front?

Many Thanks in advance 

Edited by Parvis

Great were these something you added after? I have seen a few garden gate esq grill in front of some doors and some steel solid one and I'm just wondering if there are manufacturers or custom? Understandably although boat doors do have a spec they can change over time. 

3 hours ago, Parvis said:

Great were these something you added after? I have seen a few garden gate esq grill in front of some doors and some steel solid one and I'm just wondering if there are manufacturers or custom? Understandably although boat doors do have a spec they can change over time. 

I had my hull built with steel doors, they are just 4mm flat steep with an overlap strip welded on one,so it closes over the other. They are then just hinged to the steel of the cabin front. The wooden doors sit in a frame behind them.

I bought a pair of domestic exterior doors and adjusted the height to suit. The aperture was about the right width so relatively straightforward. They'll have a 5 lever type sashlock fitted to provide similar security to a house.

Pics show before/after and fitted (minus the door frame because the window company are clowns). /w

IMG_20170623_111739.jpg

IMG_20170421_111106.jpg

Those wooden bow doors with windows do seem to be a favourite means of access for thieves, especially if there's a convenient cratch cover they can get under that allows them to take their time without being spotted. 

I just have steel bow and stern doors. If I want a view I look out of a window, or I open the doors and go outside.

IMG-20130510-00344.jpg

Edited by blackrose