How are we doing?

RichM

Featured Posts

It's now nearly 6 months since we applied the mandatory software update to Canal World, known as IP.Board 4.1.  I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask how are things with the site now? What do you like, what don't you like and what can we do differently?

While we completed the software update successfully on the first attempt, we didn't quite get it right with the "look & feel" initially. After taking on board your feedback, I hope many will agree we've improved a lot in that respect.

Unfortunately no matter how hard we try, we know we can't please everyone and there's some things that just can't be done. Though wherever possible, we will look to improve and we do that by listening to your views. But please keep it constructive. :) 

Rich

19 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Took some getting used to but is ok with me.

The chatroom, on the other hand-what is happening about that?

The old one was largely a great fit and I recall Dan being very disappointed when the forum software developers announced its withdrawal. Apparently they just wanted to focus all efforts on the forum software. Not something we agreed with but equally not something we had any control over.

That aside and moving forward, we're going to implement new chat software, known as "ArrowChat". You can try their user demo on their website if you wish which can be found here or read more about it here

One advantage is that it can easily be hidden by those who have no interest in it which is great because it provides choice.

2 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

I have no problems with it, just wish posts were numbered again.

1 hour ago, Starcoaster said:

Oh yes good point I hadn't thought of that. No post numbers is a bit of a problem. 

Thanks both. I have found a way to fix this and have done so. 

Thirded. I miss having post numbers. I'd also like an absolute time and date on each post, not the relative "posted six hours ago" we currently have.

I also badly miss a front page listing all the topics in order of their recent posts, which INCLUDES the topics I've already read like we had with all previous versions. I often think of something I'd like to add to a thread I've already read some while after reading it, and finding the thread then becomes a right ball-ache so mostly I don't bother. The current default page removes the threads I've already read.

When I go to the other forum I frequent with slick and neat software, it throws this clumsy and cutesy interface with acres of unnecessarily wasted screenspace into sharp relief. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thirded. I miss having post numbers. I'd also like an absolute time and date on each post, not the relative "posted six hours ago" we currently have.

I also badly miss a front page listing all the topics in order of their recent posts, which INCLUDES the topics I've already read like we had with all previous versions. The current default page removes the threads I've just read which I find intensely annoying.

Thanks Mike. I will have a look to see if there's a way to address those issues. Can I confirm if by "default page" you mean the VNC page? Also, posts counts are back along with this guy... :apple:

P.S
Also, what about the things you like? :)

On 26/06/2017 at 23:08, RichM said:

Thanks Mike. I will have a look to see if there's a way to address those issues. Can I confirm if by "default page" you mean the VNC page? Also, posts counts are back along with this guy... :apple:

P.S
Also, what about the things you like? :)

I haven't noticed a VNC page anywhere. Nearest I've found so far is a "Unread content" link.

I'm really struggling to find anything I like about this new interface, frankly. Every update over the years has taken away features I liked. This last update almost made me register at thunderboat. But not quite... :)

You developers on your 21" screens might like this new interface but look at this screenshot on my 10" laptop. The top 75%+ of screenspace is wasted with extravagant images and large buttons. The actual content is only visible in the bottom 25% of the screen.

Image1.jpg

I'm getting used to it and I'm sure eventually will think it's the best thing since sliced bee's knees.

Like others I used to quote post numbers, and have noticed their passing.

Likewise I'm blowed if I can find anywhere a list of my posts for which others gave me greenies.   I think I did once near the time of changeover but not since.

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I still don't like the new format, and I notice all the other fora I frequent that used the old version haven't changed.

Richard

I appreciate that and agree. Unless they're software developers and able to patch the code themselves, they run risk of being vulnerable to exploitation. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I haven't noticed a VNC page anywhere. Nearest I've found so far is a "Unread content" link.

I'm really struggling to find anything I like about this new interface, frankly. Every update over the years has taken away features I liked. This last update almost made me register at thunderboat. But not quite... :)

I'm sure you have seen it but this is the closest replication we could get within the capabilities of the forum software but appreciate it's not identical.

vnc.png

On 26/06/2017 at 23:35, RichM said:

I appreciate that and agree. Unless they're software developers and able to patch the code themselves, they run risk of being vulnerable to exploitation. 

I'm sure you have seen it but this is the closest replication we could get within the capabilities of the forum software but appreciate it's not identical.

vnc.png

Ah ok, found that now, thanks! It wasn't there last time I looked, and lost patience trying to customise it.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the size of all the unnecessary graphics and giant buttons?

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah ok, found that now, thanks! It wasn't there last time I looked, and lost patience trying to customise it.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the size of all the unnecessary graphics and giant buttons?

Yes but not overnight though I am sure someone will be along to show a way of doing it with a browser plugin in the meantime. I've not really noticed it until you pointed it out but it could be neater.

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Thank both. I have found a way to fix this and have done so. 

There's a green banner saying post numbers are back, but I still can't see any post numbers, to the right of the post or anywhere else.

On the list of topics, could the dot (or star) that you press to go to the first unread post be made a bit bigger?  On the iPad, I'm constantly missing, and getting either the thread title (and ending up back at the start) or the profile of the last poster.

23 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

There's a green banner saying post numbers are back, but I still can't see any post numbers, to the right of the post or anywhere else.

On the list of topics, could the dot (or star) that you press to go to the first unread post be made a bit bigger?  On the iPad, I'm constantly missing, and getting either the thread title (and ending up back at the start) or the profile of the last poster.

Might need to clear your browser cache. I see it as below.

postnumber.png

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I also badly miss a front page listing all the topics in order of their recent posts, which INCLUDES the topics I've already read like we had with all previous versions. I often think of something I'd like to add to a thread I've already read some while after reading it, and finding the thread then becomes a right ball-ache so mostly I don't bother. The current default page removes the threads I've already read.

When I go to the other forum I frequent with slick and neat software, it throws this clumsy and cutesy interface with acres of unnecessarily wasted screenspace into sharp relief. 

That, particularly the middle paragraph, puts my muddled thoughts into some semblance of sense. 

I have a customised thing I use every time I sign in where I click a few times on activity streams until i reach my Custom one. Sort of works, in that it filters to unread topics instead of showing every post, but I find it a nuisance, particularly on the phone where it involves scrolling. Once I've read a topic though it's gone forever as Mike points out.

Pleased to see the post numbers - or I would be if I could! Is it an android thing that means they haven't appeared on my tablet?

In short, it's the clunkiest of any forum I've used in recent years. Every other one I've looked at you simpy read and post without really noticing the medium: surely that's how good forum software should be? This one is hard work (for the user) in comparison for no extra reward that I can see.

I suspect this comes across as a bit critical without a lot of constructive. I apologise if so; please don't think me ungrateful for the very obvious efforts to improve it as far as it has been.

On 27/06/2017 at 08:15, Sea Dog said:

In short, it's the clunkiest of any forum I've used in recent years. Every other one I've looked at you simpy read and post without really noticing the medium: surely that's how good forum software should be? This one is hard work (for the user) in comparison for no extra reward that I can see.

I suspect this comes across as a bit critical without a lot of constructive. I apologise if so; please don't think me ungrateful for the very obvious efforts to improve it as far as it has been.

In return, this sums up my thoughts on the forum software too!

To see the type of invisible slickness Seadog mentions just go back two or three versions of this software. The user interface used to be so smooth and slick that no-one noticed it. Then the upgrades began and this last upgrade in particular foisted a complete revision in the user interface on us with no warning or coherent explanation whatsoever. 

I understand (sort of) the need to upgrade for technical reasons under the bonnet, but I refuse to accept tightening security forced Invision to make the user interface so complicated to understand and extravagantly wasteful of precious screen estate.

Even editing this post was clumsy and awkward, with most of the working area of the screen disappeared off the bottom so I have to keep scrolling up and down. I'm convinced the developers at Invision think everyone uses full sized desktop monitors like theirs, so have no understanding of how much scrolling one has to do on a phone of small laptop.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I understand (sort of) the need to upgrade for technical reasons under the bonnet, but I refuse to accept tightening security forced Invision to make the user interface so complicated to understand and extravagantly wasteful of precious screen estate.

I don't think the "upgrade" had any security implications.  The log in and sign up pages are still unsecured. 

On 27/06/2017 at 10:12, lulu fish said:

I don't think the "upgrade" had any security implications.  The log in and sign up pages are still unsecured. 

RichM has consistently maintained the underlying reason for forcing the recent "upgrade" (downgrade would be a better term) on us was to address "security issues" in the previous software versions. 

I too remain to be convinced.