Featured Posts

OK you gave me lots of info on the Cheshire Locks so now the Marple Flight. Again it looks as if at some time the locks had a single bottom ground paddle behind the towpath side bottom gate. Any ideas how long ago this was changed and why?

DSCF8290small.jpg

I would assume they were removed when the locks were restored in the 70/s? a good number were still in place at that time when the locks were unusable prior to restoration  I attempted to deliver approx half a load of interlocking steel piles to the bottom of the flight in the early 60's but even with the help of the might of BW NW maintenance gang we failed miserably, the only achievement being flooding the road beside the flight after taking roughly  7 hours graft had to unload on to the lock side IIRC #5 lock & with great amount of hassle work back up the flight backwards to the top." Arh"one of the joys of pre restoration boating

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

On these locks, the bywash originally ran through a culvert, with weirs fitted behind both gates, as shown below.

Marple bottom.jpg

Marple top.jpg

But there is definitely a disused paddle culvert opposite that overspill weir on the bottom gates and you can see the rod recess all the way down

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But there is definitely a disused paddle culvert opposite that overspill weir on the bottom gates and you can see the rod recess all the way down

There is, we have now managed to confuse your two topics though!

Marple Locks originally had two bottom ground paddles on the same side, some had been removed before the canal fell derelict and the remainder disappeared shortly after restoration. Growing up near the locks, I recall lock 12 having them, and the rodding still being in place in lock 7 with no mechanism at the top.