Anchor question

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hello.

If I have an anchor with a chain, attached to another long chain, is that acceptable.

compared to ....

anchor with a chain...attached to a long rope. 

I'd prefer to keep the rope for other things and I have a spare piece of long chain.

2 minutes ago, DeanS said:

Hello.

If I have an anchor with a chain, attached to another long chain, is that acceptable.

compared to ....

I'd prefer to keep the rope for other things and I have a spare piece of long chain.

Yes that wil do the job. Ships dont have bits of rope its all chain. The reason for rope is for ease of use, lightness and it gives a little when deployed so less snatching. 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yes that wil do the job. Ships dont have bits of rope its all chain. The reason for rope is for ease of use, lightness and it gives a little when deployed so less snatching. 

awesome. thanks

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Presumably rope is also a little kinder to the fairlead and the paintwork of the boat

Just now, NickF said:

Presumably rope is also a little kinder to the fairlead and the paintwork of the boat

Yes that too but for narrowboat useage its a case of needs must. In nearly thirty years I have never had to deploy an anchor but if I did a bit of paintwork would be the least of my worries. I would deploy it never to consider retreaval either.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes that too but for narrowboat useage its a case of needs must. In nearly thirty years I have never had to deploy an anchor but if I did a bit of paintwork would be the least of my worries. I would deploy it never to consider retreaval either.

Agree

11 hours ago, DeanS said:

Hello.

compared to ....

Our set up is all chain.

This has the advantage of not having to let as much scope out as opposed to a chain and rope or all rope set up.

Disadvantage of course is it is much heavier but we have an electric winch to bring it back in and let it out so not a problem with our set up.

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I know most narrowboaters have this mindset but it is a shame as you are missing out on some great mooring opportunities and some of the best experiences afloat. :)

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I know most narrowboaters have this mindset but it is a shame as you are missing out on some great mooring opportunities and some of the best experiences afloat. :)

I know. Hardly any have a flight deck either, so they're missing out on prosecuting submarines at max range too. Stuck in their way, narrowboaters are. :D

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't think one necessarily needs to deploy an anchor to moor in out of the way places. On tidal waters and fast flowing rivers yes, but in other places mudweights often suffice and can be easier to retrieve than a big anchor.

15 hours ago, DeanS said:

Hello.

compared to ....

As long as the chain is of equivalent length then yes.

15 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

and a rope can be cut in moments of need though I can't think of a relevant circumstance where you might want to.

So can the section of webbing used to attach the anchor chain to the boat.