I'd be a gongoozler to see this

KevMc

Featured Posts

On 26/06/2017 at 13:50, Scholar Gypsy said:

Reminds me of this. I think the skipper of the stern tug had a bit of a shock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-17950813/hms-ocean-squeezes-through-thames-barrier

From the article "An MoD spokesman described the manoeuvre as 'near perfect' "

I'd describe it as coming within an ace of demolishing the Thames Barrier!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From the article "An MoD spokesman described the manoeuvre as 'near perfect' "

I'd describe it as coming within an ace of demolishing the Thames Barrier!

A miss is as good as...! In any event I think Ocean would have come off worse.

Howard

I see that the deck area is expressed in football pitches, and wonder how this vague unit of measurement persists, given that the rules of football allow for considerable variation in both width and length. The larger traditional unit for area, the size of Wales, does not suffer this problem, so long as the state of the tides is defined; I suppose that would be as at an average high tide.

• Greenie 1

On 6/27/2017 at 10:29, Peter X said:

I see that the deck area is expressed in football pitches, and wonder how this vague unit of measurement persists, given that the rules of football allow for considerable variation in both width and length. The larger traditional unit for area, the size of Wales, does not suffer this problem, so long as the state of the tides is defined; I suppose that would be as at an average high tide.

Wales is the equivalent size of 1,133,000 decks worth of the Queen Elizabeth. Do you really think that's a better description than three times the size of the piece of grass you see in front of you when you go down the Palace?

The size of a football pitch persists as a 'unit' of measure because it paints a picture for the reader. Who the bloody hell knows the size of Wales* without looking it up?

* - other than Graham Davis

JP

• Greenie 2

On 26/06/2017 at 20:42, Scholar Gypsy said:

And rather a lot of gongoozlers in the video here. You would think they could manage without quite so many tugs ... Good to see they've lit the aft stove.

So many gongoozlers that they needed Hi-viz jackets to avoid bumping into each other!

White Grey elephant. Not enough crew members to fully crew it, no aircraft,yet! Not fully operational until 2022.

And we're getting another one. I agree we need more defence spending,but come on guys, where's all the frigates,destroyers,mine sweepers?

This is the last ship I would want to be on. 

True. That would be an ideal solution to lots of social and financial issues throughout the world.

Today,it all seems to be about deterrent. The Russians have already said HMS QE is a big target. If only eh?

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 08:56, Captain Pegg said:

Wales is the equivalent size of 1,133,000 decks worth of the Queen Elizabeth. Do you really think that's a better description than three times the size of the piece of grass you see in front of you when you go down the Palace?

The size of a football pitch persists as a 'unit' of measure because it paints a picture for the reader. Who the bloody hell knows the size of Wales* without looking it up?

* - other than Graham Davis

JP

You're right, I don't think Wales is a suitable unit for describing small areas. I doubt that the micro-Wales would catch on.

The trouble is, football pitches on an aircraft carrier deck are a troubling image for me, they'd lose a lot of footballs overboard. What happens when Bobby Zamora's in the team facing astern and hoofs one over the bar while the ship's doing 15 knots?

11 minutes ago, Peter X said:

You're right, I don't think Wales is a suitable unit for describing small areas. I doubt that the micro-Wales would catch on.

The trouble is, football pitches on an aircraft carrier deck are a troubling image for me, they'd lose a lot of footballs overboard. What happens when Bobby Zamora's in the team facing astern and hoofs one over the bar while the ship's doing 15 knots?

That's the way to do it ...

Ah yes, I'd overlooked the possibilities of the tennis court as a unit. According to this:

http://itf.uberflip.com/i/428396-2015-rules-of-tennis-english/5

it's properly standardised as 78 x 27 feet (36 for doubles) so it meets my criteria. Playing in the centre of the flight deck of HMS Queen Elizabeth there'd be plenty of room for most of the stray balls to stop before going overboard, especially as there are no aircraft in the way yet. But steel might not be the best of playing surfaces, and some of the outside courts would have a serious slope.