No Thorns in this Rose!!..Got me a Boat...Touch Wood!

Featured Posts

The other thread seems to have been deleted due to some unknown reason but thanks to the 'Not' so Great levels of service from the last Midlands broker, I found a sales crew who were happy to see a customer, they spent time looking after me and they gave me the confidence that any deposit is not dependent on an indeterminable value.

I have placed a deposit on a boat but due to past issues and upcoming action I will keep this one quiet until I take ownership....only 2 weeks to pull out and survey compared to 5-6 last time and an excellent attitude all round.

I will be back asking silly questions again, and will hopefully be on the cut proper as a live-aboard' in just a few weeks time at latest, not the boat I initially wanted but am very, very happy with it as a replacement.... :D......just sadly way later than I first expected.

Can I just thanks once again to all of the crew on here who put up with my and others 'newbie' questions and look forward to buying you a beer or two if you are unlucky enough to bump into me ....out of the water.... :cheers:

The Grumpy Triker is feeeeeling good... B)

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Quick question, what are the rules around renaming a boat?....are there any?...I do need to do that :)

I don't think so. Just remember to tell the relevant authority of the name change

It is however supposed to be unlucky to change a boats name. Not sure if it applies to narrowboats

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't think so. Just remember to tell the relevant authority of the name change

Relevant Authority?....are boats registered under specific organisations and not a central one?....I don't mean like Lloyds of London but thought there may be one register under CRT ...:wacko:

Edited by The Grumpy Triker
Missed text

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:
  • Quick question, what are the rules around renaming a boat?....are there any?...I do need to do that :)

Cheers both :cheers:

Well done.......eventualy :D There are strict rules on re naming boats the two most important are rules regarding manner of name change, I cant recall the act and section but basicaly it is something like " Tee total people are not allowed to change a boats name " and just as important " At the point of change ie signwriting a party must be thrown with the use of moocho alcohol "

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Relevant Authority?....are boats registered under specific organisations and not a central one?....I don't mean like Lloyds of London but thought there may be one register under CRT ...:wacko:

EA or CRT. Etc 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Yep, there is no realistic central register. So you register with CART or Broads or EA, Thames etc.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Well done.......eventualy :D There are strict rules on re naming boats the two most important are rules regarding manner of name change, I cant recall the act and section but basicaly it is something like " Tee total people are not allowed to change a boats name " and just as important " At the point of change ie signwriting a party must be thrown with the use of moocho alcohol "

Some superstitious rubbish about waiting until its out of the water before renaming too

11 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:
  • Quick question, what are the rules around renaming a boat?....are there any?...I do need to do that :)

Cheers both :cheers:

Lots of alcohol must be involved and a paper boat with the boats old name written on it being sent down river on fire.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No Teetotallers!!? :o....

....that means I must do it after midday then :D

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Some superstitious rubbish about waiting until its out of the water before renaming too

Must be a few named ...'WTF!!!'

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Lots of alcohol must be involved and a paper boat with the boats old name written on it being sent down river on fire.

I can add flaming paper planes to that as well....just hope you're not downwind and/or downstream :D

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

My premises is licenced from 8.30 am. Our favourite customers are the Norweigans of whom we get several each season as they are prolific boat hirers. They oft come in for breakfast when returning their boats and nearly always have beer with their English breakfast, non of that peeing about with tea crap the Brits do. So no you dont have to do it after midday heaven forbid :D 

Good luck hope all goes to plan. 

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Only when the sun is over the yard arm - doesn't matter which hemisphere! :cheers:

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My premises is licenced from 8.30 am. Our favourite customers are the Norweigans of whom we get several each season as they are prolific boat hirers. They oft come in for breakfast when returning their boats and nearly always have beer with their English breakfast, non of that peeing about with tea crap the Brits do. So no you dont have to do it after midday heaven forbid :D 

Wetherspoons clientele. 

38 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Hope it all works out for you, we have been living on our boat for two years now and it is absolutely bloody fantastic.

:cheers:

26 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Wetherspoons clientele. 

Was working in Scandinavia based in Stockholm and they were on the beers at 6.30am while travelling out for business meetings!

No wonder they're so blooming relaxed!

1 hour ago, Meanderingviking said:

Good luck hope all goes to plan. 

Only when the sun is over the yard arm - doesn't matter which hemisphere! :cheers:

It is for this very reason that narrowboats don't have yardarms,  hence you can drink on them 24/7 if you like :cheers:

2 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

The other thread seems to have been deleted due to some unknown reason but thanks to the 'Not' so Great levels of service from the last Midlands broker, I found a sales crew who were happy to see a customer, they spent time looking after me and they gave me the confidence that any deposit is not dependent on an indeterminable value.

I have placed a deposit on a boat but due to past issues and upcoming action I will keep this one quiet until I take ownership....only 2 weeks to pull out and survey compared to 5-6 last time and an excellent attitude all round.

I will be back asking silly questions again, and will hopefully be on the cut proper as a live-aboard' in just a few weeks time at latest, not the boat I initially wanted but am very, very happy with it as a replacement.... :D......just sadly way later than I first expected.

Can I just thanks once again to all of the crew on here who put up with my and others 'newbie' questions and look forward to buying you a beer or two if you are unlucky enough to bump into me ....out of the water.... :cheers:

The Grumpy Triker is feeeeeling good... B)

Very best of luck :)

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It is for this very reason that narrowboats don't have yardarms,  hence you can drink on them 24/7 if you like :cheers:

Skol to that! :cheers:  talking of which a cheeky little Shiraz awaits ........

21 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

Very best of luck :)

Thanks Tawny

...had more emailed updates in a day then I had throughout the whole process last time, they always wanted to talk but not confirm in writing, these people have nothing to hide and know I struggle to take calls daytime (as did others) ....nothing to hide.

.....oh and every mail was better news each time - survey earlier than hoped, BSC until 2021 not 2017/8 :D

4 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Thanks Tawny

...had more emailed updates in a day then I had throughout the whole process last time, they always wanted to talk but not confirm in writing, these people have nothing to hide and know I struggle to take calls daytime (as did others) ....nothing to hide.

.....oh and every mail was better news each time - survey earlier than hoped, BSC until 2021 not 2017/8 :D

Yay that is brilliant news. I look forward to pics