Mildew?

Featured Posts

One side of my "coat cupboard" tends to get a bit of white mildew on the surface of the ply on one side over the winter, the side is up against the rear bulkhead. It also needs a light sand and re-varnishing, along with the rest of the cupboard. What should I use to treat the mildew before I sand and varnish? I have heard neat Milton suggested? Thanks.

If the mould is simply on top of existing varnish it should just wash off, but if it has got through the varnish and stained the wood you will need to both kill it and then try to lighten it by sanding it away or if too deep something stronger.  The mould on mine I treated with a fungicidal wash (forget which) but mainly removed the staining by light sanding.

And if you ventilate the cupboard well next winter (leave the door open as a minimum) it won't get mildew again. 

Barkeeper's Friend is good for removing black marks from wood. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

And if you ventilate the cupboard well next winter (leave the door open as a minimum) it won't get mildew again. 

Barkeeper's Friend is good for removing black marks from wood. 

You beat me to it. Its a problem only hobby boaters get I suppose but if I left a boat over winter without a power point I would leave several windows open and all interior cupboard doors.

I use a Meaco DD8L dehumidifier over winter, with wardrobe doors left open. No condensation at all.

Previously went for the lots of ventilation option, but still got small amounts of condensation, mainly on the plated metal "fiddle rails" on the bathroom shelves.

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You beat me to it. Its a problem only hobby boaters get I suppose but if I left a boat over winter without a power point I would leave several windows open and all interior cupboard doors.

Hobby boaters?  Do I detect a faint whiff of condescension there?  My boat is my main residence from April to October and my house from November to March. Where does your classification system place me?

Anyhoo, if I leave the boat for more than a day (which I frequently do), winter or summer, I always make sure the widows are CLOSED.  You cannot imagine the mess even one small bird can make if it gets in through an open window..........  Much worse than a bit of mildew.

Just now, Mac of Cygnet said:

Hobby boaters?  Do I detect a faint whiff of condescension there?  My boat is my main residence from April to October and my house from November to March. Where does your classification system place me?

Anyhoo, if I leave the boat for more than a day (which I frequently do), winter or summer, I always make sure the widows are CLOSED.  You cannot imagine the mess even one small bird can make if it gets in through an open window..........  Much worse than a bit of mildew.

Yes birds can be a nuisance but enough of an opening for air to keep circulating is what I meant. I dont believe in pigeon holes but if you must then a hobby boater has a house they use and its usualy in the winter. A liveaboard doesnt have a house they can scoot of to at a whim like myself I binned my house as I prefer the boat and am to be found on it every week of every month of the year come rain or shine unless on holiday which i take away from the boat sometimes. It has to be said though that winter is vastly nicer living aboard than summer as most hobby boaters are not clogging the cut ;)

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Never had a mildew or condensation problem on our hobby boat.

But I guess we see our boat more than most hobby boaters.

I am a hobby boater,  but as the boat is moored at the end of my garden I go onto it most days.

It is used all year round, sometimes day trips sometimes longer cruises. The only thing that I don't find condesending about Mrs Melly's posts is that cruising in winter is often more pleasurable than cruising in the summer.

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I am a hobby boater,  but as the boat is moored at the end of my garden I go onto it most days.

It is used all year round, sometimes day trips sometimes longer cruises. The only thing that I don't find condesending about Mrs Melly's posts is that cruising in winter is often more pleasurable than cruising in the summer.

Condescending? How surely I cant class myself as better in any way when I arent a householder? surely hobby boaters are superior to mere liveaboards? Now where is my beer....

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Condescending? How surely I cant class myself as better in any way when I arent a householder? surely hobby boaters are superior to mere liveaboards? Now where is my beer....

In my eyes are boaters are equal, whether they are shiny boaters, scruffy boaters,  hire boaters, liveaboards,  leisure boaters etc.

The one common thing is our love of boats and boating. :cheers:

• Greenie 1

Just now, cuthound said:

In my eyes are boaters are equal, whether they are shiny boaters, scruffy boaters,  hire boaters, liveaboards,  leisure boaters etc.

The one common thing is our love of boats and boating. :cheers:

Mines a blue moon :cheers: