Advice please, hull thickness and side hatches

Toby knight

Featured Posts

Could I ask for some advice please from some members, I have seen a 30 foot boat that I am interested in but it only has a five mil thickness  of steel on the hull,  it has lost 0.3 mil in the past 30 years,  should I be concerned or should I avoid this boat and continue looking, 

I'm also looking for somebody that can point me in the right direction to a person that can install side hatches in place of the windows, I remember some time ago there was a discussion here that mentioned a boat engineers name,  can anybody help 

Many thanks 

5mm hull on a 30 year old boat is not unusual (modern boats tend to be 6mm). 0.3mm pitting is nothing. 

Martin Kedian (Kedian Engineering), member here 'Kedian' is your man for retro-fitted side hatches. 

Tony

6 minutes ago, Toby knight said:

Could I ask for some advice please from some members, I have seen a 30 foot boat that I am interested in but it only has a five mil thickness  of steel on the hull,  it has lost 0.3 mil in the past 30 years,  should I be concerned or should I avoid this boat and continue looking, 

I'm also looking for somebody that can point me in the right direction to a person that can install side hatches in place of the windows, I remember some time ago there was a discussion here that mentioned a boat engineers name,  can anybody help 

Many thanks 

The hull is very good by the sounds of it. The more modern 10 or 15/6/4 etc is all well and good but 5 mil or its imperial equivelant is fine. I had an oldish colecraft built with 6 mil baseplate in 1981 which is still going strong. The small loss so far goes to show its good steel. As lulu states " Kedian "

A 30 ft. 5mm hull sounds to me like a Springer. If so the cabin sides are 4mm and less. But I'm not a springer expert.

There's a lower limit for insurance of 4 point something that might be a problem.