Keeping Dogs Cool In Hot Weather

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Our Pug (Dudley) is a little overweight and becomes 'overheated' in the hot weather.

We found a range of 'wet-suits' (from 'vests' to full coats) that help dogs cool down.

Image for Easidri High Performance Cooling Coat for Dogs (Web Exclusive) from Pets At Home

The material is (sort of) spongey wetsuit stuff and when soaked it holds water - wring it out (gently) and then the evaporation of the water has a marked cooling effect - he goes from 'serious panting' to lying happily (and quietly) in about 5-10 minutes.

Called an Ice-vest and we got ours from Pets At Home

I guess you could just use a wet-towel but this allows him to walk about, eat, go out for 'exercise' etc

IMG_20170625_104655.jpg

IMG_20150320_152624.jpg

We take our 2 staffies river swimming so they are soaking wet, keeps them cool for hours. If they are on the boat when we are not we draw shut the curtains and blinds, which keeps the temperature down.

59 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

We take our 2 staffies river swimming so they are soaking wet, keeps them cool for hours. If they are on the boat when we are not we draw shut the curtains and blinds, which keeps the temperature down.

This is precisely what we do. Wife ( as its a womans jobs like lock wheeling ) takes our dog to the river which is conveniently close to our mooring at least twice a day for long dips in the cherwell. We remove some windows and leave front and rear doors open and curtains closed. Was still awful for a few days recently but I and dog survived.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is precisely what we do. Wife ( as its a womans jobs like lock wheeling ) takes our dog to the river which is conveniently close to our mooring at least twice a day for long dips in the cherwell. We remove some windows and leave front and rear doors open and curtains closed. Was still awful for a few days recently but I and dog survived.

Ha ha what's lock wheeling, is it what hubby does, I cruise .........:D

Yes way too hot beginning of the week, I was starting work (gardening) extra early so to finish before the afternoon heat, I think I survived :blink:

3 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Ha ha what's lock wheeling, is it what hubby does, I cruise .........:D

Yes way too hot beginning of the week, I was starting work (gardening) extra early so to finish before the afternoon heat, I think I survived :blink:

Ahh then hubby needs educating!! Blokes drive women do the locks etc you need to read up about " idle women " :D

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh then hubby needs educating!! Blokes drive women do the locks etc you need to read up about " idle women " :D

This one does both, and single handed when necessary ......... We both enjoy cruising and locking ;)

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unfortunately Pugs sink, in addition are brachycephalic, and, having a flat face, means that they cannot keep their muzzles above water and swim at the same time.

Not so good for Pugs then! That's something I learned today ... I thought all dogs could swim.

Edited by NickF
correct spelling

find a very large terracotta pot, fill with water and put it in direct sunshine; get the dog to jump in and out of the pot, such that he continuously splashes the outside of the pot, so the water evaporates and cools the pot along with the water inside - water gets cooler and cooler, same for the dog.

job done.

Evapourative cooling is a good idea but over here when it gets hot (anything below 35 is just refered to as warm) we have to resort to portable air con for our 4 legged friends.  Dogs lose heat mostly through their paws and by panting where the poor little pug is again at a dissadvantage.  Our neighbour lost their beloved bulldog last summer because he couldn't cool himself down enough.

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

George the Staffie was a lousy swimmer. Muscle mass I guess.

Yup, when I took Zeus the rescue GSD on yesterday's pack walk, one Staffie decided to jump into the cut for a swim,  not once but twice.

They swim vertically and struggle to keep their nose above water. Fortunately he had a lead connected to his harness so was quickly dragged back on to terra firma.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

They swim vertically and struggle to keep their nose above water.

Had just this issue with 'Dudley' - as SWMBO jumped off the boat she pushed it away with her 'back-foot', Dudley decided to follow but the gap was widening and he didn't make it.

He immediately went into the 'vertical' (Bum-down) and slowly started sinking - and didn't even try to paddle - just managed to grab his harness as he went totally submerged.

Life jacket now on whenever he is on deck.

• 1 month later...