Photos of bridges

frahkn

Featured Posts

I passed bridge 99 on the Staffs & Worcs, going north, this morning, to find a day boat across the canal. Nothing unusual in that and eventually they sorted themselves out.

The unusual thing was that the episode was photographed by Andrew Denny from the roof of Granny Buttons. He is in the middle of a project to photo every bridge while a boat is going under it. I'm not sure if he meant just on the S&W or on the whole system?

I like the occasional reminder that I am not the only eccentric on the cut.

Frank.

I am moored at bridge 53 - Coventry Canal - at Polesworth - and for some reason (not clear why) I take a picture of any  bridge 53 that I pass through on all canals I cruise on. Daft really.

19 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I am moored at bridge 53 - Coventry Canal - at Polesworth - and for some reason (not clear why) I take a picture of any  bridge 53 that I pass through on all canals I cruise on. Daft really.

I am at Alvecote so pass through Polesworth often.

Speaking solely for myself, I find it best not to ponder too closely on the whys and wherefores of some of the odd things I do!

8 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Do you check that the sign says "53" on both sides? If not you'll need to go back and take some more photos ....

14 hours ago, Horace42 said:

What do you do if it's bridge 53 but there isn't a number displayed?

31 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Excellent!

Carry one of those, and a big lump of blue tack, and you could invent a few extra bridges for the photo album.

On 25/06/2017 at 08:45, Scholar Gypsy said:

Do you check that the sign says "53" on both sides? If not you'll need to go back and take some more photos ....

I take one pic as I approach and one looking back having passed through.

19 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

Excellent!

Carry one of those, and a big lump of blue tack, and you could invent a few extra bridges for the photo album.

In answer to the series of replies on missing numbers - I do nothing* except take a pic anyway. But it does make it difficult to find the pics at a later date or convince others it is br 53.

*I suppose a tin of spray paint would solve the problem

4 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I try and touch every bridge i go under!

....with your head ...?

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Maybe that's why, for the river they were doing last night on C4, there were no bridges or locks at all !!

They probably demolished them during the pre-filming recce :D

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Looks like Woodeaves Cutting on the SU. What happened to the cross piece with the very short telegraph pole on it? :P

That's another bridge - in another cutting...

High Bridge in Grub Street:

71rc_3.jpg

Not to be confused with Double Arched Bridge on the L&L

a8_k5o.jpg

Edited by StephenA

19 hours ago, StephenA said:

That's another bridge - in another cutting...

High Bridge in Grub Street:

71rc_3.jpg

Not to be confused with Double Arched Bridge on the L&L

a8_k5o.jpg

Is the top photo on the Shropshire Union?  We passed on just like it on the way to Norbury Junction.  I'll post it as soon as I can nick Trudi's phone for the pictures :D

Ignore that...   Just checked on the Canal map and it was Grub Street..

Edited by Ratkatcher
Added comment