Hurley lock (Thames) Elsan out of action.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

The Elsan at Hurley lock is closed because it's full. Apparently, the EA have a "honey barge" for empting the septic tanks of the facilities on lock islands, and the old one has been condemned, whilst its replacement has been cocked-up. This means that other Thames facilities without mains sewer connections are likely to be in the same state, or soon will be.

Do any of the Reading marinas allow Elsan disposal without payment?

Cheers.

MP. 

29 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The Elsan at Hurley lock is closed because it's full. Apparently, the EA have a "honey barge" for empting the septic tanks of the facilities on lock islands, and the old one has been condemned, whilst its replacement has been cocked-up. This means that other Thames facilities without mains sewer connections are likely to be in the same state, or soon will be.

Cheers.

MP. 

I thought that Hurley's elsan point was on main drainage. There were some major works some years ago. The original one was truly a black hole in the ground straight into a holding tank. I suspect it's the macerator pump that's got blocked. It seems to he happening quite a lot generally. Increasing use of wet wipes doesn't help (I bet folks pop then in a separate container and dump them both into the 'sluice'.

The same happens quite frequently at Shiplake. One lockie told me that they'd found quite large items of clothing inside their pumps - and they're designed to pump solid matter.

Another thread today mentioned somebody tipping an elsan into the hedge.

Why do people do either of the above -

• no social conscience?
  • Not my concern?
  • Everybody else does it?
  • It won't cause any harm?

Me being occasionally charitable, perhaps they don't understand that such practices are wrong; "that they don't any harm," so why not?

I can't understand people who are revolted by their own 'output' - OK it's unpleasant, but part of nature. 

58 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I thought that Hurley's elsan point was on main drainage. There were some major works some years ago. The original one was truly a black hole in the ground straight into a holding tank. I suspect it's the macerator pump that's got blocked. It seems to he happening quite a lot generally. Increasing use of wet wipes doesn't help (I bet folks pop then in a separate container and dump them both into the 'sluice'.

My information came from the lock keeper, I have no way to know which of us is nearer the truth.

Cheers,

MP.

35 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

My information came from the lock keeper, I have no way to know which of us is nearer the truth.

Cheers,

MP.

I'm obliged -

I'm sure it's full; just why is my question. Lockies are encouraged to say the minimum - not unreasonable as it's easy to spread incorrect rumours.

However, 'we' pay a lot for the use of the River and expect equipment to work, also useful for locals to know which equipment is reliable. EA's budget is shrunk and some maintenance has been pared back to a 'just too late' basis.

If it's an unreasonable blockage, perhaps I and others can publicise that in the vain hope that boaters will take notice.

I meant to say in my earlier post that Shiplake  has a bucket-and-chuckit facility just behind the pumpout / water points upstream of the lock. If you haven't yet got that far.

45 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I meant to say in my earlier post that Shiplake  has a bucket-and-chuckit facility just behind the pumpout / water points upstream of the lock. If you haven't yet got that far.

We'll try Shiplake when we get there, but the Hurley locky did say that it might be full to, due to the lack of a means of emptying all the sewage facilities on lock islands. If Shiplake is no good, might have to pay in Reading.

Cheers,

Simon.

7 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We'll try Shiplake when we get there, but the Hurley locky did say that it might be full to, due to the lack of a means of emptying all the sewage facilities on lock islands. If Shiplake is no good, might have to pay in Reading.

Cheers,

Simon.

Shiplake's  effluent is discharged into the mains (hard to believe as it's out in the sticks and the land on the weir side is some way away) - so I was told by either the current or previous incumbent). It still can get blocked.

I assume you're going up the K&A. If not then Mapledurham has a chemical toilet disposal.

22 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Shiplake's  effluent is discharged into the mains (hard to believe as it's out in the sticks and the land on the weir side is some way away) - so I was told by either the current or previous incumbent). It still can get blocked.

I assume you're going up the K&A. If not then Mapledurham has a chemical toilet disposal.

Called in at Shiplake today, and everything that should be full is now full, and everything that should be empty is now empty.

Not doing K&A this time, heading for Lechlade (water permitting) and then back to Oxford.

MP.

On 24/06/2017 at 14:42, MoominPapa said:

Cheers.

MP. 

Go to Tingdene reading Si and use my name as a contact with the marina