OK to empty cassette in towpath hedge?

mross

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, mad dog n' Englishman said:

Looks like this boat was sold by Whilton marina, so may not be the Coward family on board anymore.

Sold some time ago by the Family, was moored close to me at Foxes, No longer moored here.  

First hire boat I went on we were issued with a spade to do exactly what the OP reports ..... times have however changed and i don't think it is ever acceptable 

Edited by NickF
typed unacceptable instead of acceptable

Two local incidents. First whilst sitting on the "cliff top" at Widemouth Bay watched a woman throw her dog "poo"  bag into the gorse. No more than 25 metres from a bin. Waited until she got the car park and reprimanded her. She had quite a bit of difficulty retrieving it!! Second incident was a woman who rolled up a soiled disposable nappy and lodged it half under a stone on the beach as she left. She too was obviously embarrassed when I shouted loudly at her. Had the right effect though. She went back and picked it up. Hopefully took it home with her.    

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, NickF said:

First hire boat I went on we were issued with a spade to do exactly what the OP reports ..... times have however changed and i don't think it is ever unacceptable 

Not sure that was phrased quite how intended.

A good friend of mine competed in the Bristol triathlon a couple of weekends ago. He's pretty good at that kind of thing and was disappointed to finish 5th overall despite being 40. It has crossed my mind that letting him know beforehand how 'normal' it was for boaters upstream to pump out into the river might have hindered swim stage.

1 hour ago, NickF said:

First hire boat I went on we were issued with a spade to do exactly what the OP reports ..... times have however changed and i don't think it is ever unacceptable 

Really? ..... Exactly the same? I doubt it.

The fact you were given a spade suggests you were told to dig a hole and bury the contents.  Probably like me you were also told in a field.

OP reported they emptied into a hedge on the towpath.

55 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The fact you were given a spade suggests you were told to dig a hole and bury the contents.  Probably like me you were also told in a field.

Well at least it will cover up the old engine oil that had been dumped there.

:)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

sorry mis type. I meant never acceptable I will edit original post

1 hour ago, stegra said:

Not sure that was phrased quite how intended.

A good friend of mine competed in the Bristol triathlon a couple of weekends ago. He's pretty good at that kind of thing and was disappointed to finish 5th overall despite being 40. It has crossed my mind that letting him know beforehand how 'normal' it was for boaters upstream to pump out into the river might have hindered swim stage.

correct . I meant never acceptable. will edit original.

25 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Well at least it will cover up the old engine oil that had been dumped there.

:)

It's all just a natural part of the cycle of nature Laurie.

Oil is found underground, used and then returns there.

The earth provides food, we consume it, mix it with hazardous chemicals and then chuck it in a hedge bottom ...... apparently.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

whose field?  what was the crop?  would you get to eat it?

18 hours ago, Murflynn said:

on the other channel there is a report of Elsan facilities being out of action (although that is on the Thames).

maybe we can expect the Thames to be polluted as a result of folks' desperation.

To my mind it's all a matter of degree - it seems to have a swift leak into a hedgerow on your own, but not if of Glastonbury numbers.

Elsan's are quite different as most people use Blue which is highly toxic. I made the mistake  of assuming that Hurley lock's facilities were connected to the public sewer - it's not. The loos are connected however. My mistake. So the Lavender boat has to collect the Elsan waste and take it away separately to be treated as hazardous waste, which is expensive.  Subject to delays as there's only one boat and it covers the whole river.

If everybody used a biological additive then the problem would be a matter of 'good practice'  rather than a potential public danger. Not that I think it's acceptable anyway. 

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 1

I am not sure how Elsan contents are removed, certainly if they are full of hazardous chemicals they would be expensive to dispose of. What is the alternative?

I don't have an allotment, and I don't want to dig a lot of holes in the towpath, but at the moment, that looks a more environmentally friendly method. 

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am not sure how Elsan contents are removed, certainly if they are full of hazardous chemicals they would be expensive to dispose of. What is the alternative?

I don't have an allotment, and I don't want to dig a lot of holes in the towpath, but at the moment, that looks a more environmentally friendly method. 

There are C&RT sanitary stations which include an Elsan disposal point for emptying cassettes. 

haggis

14 minutes ago, haggis said:

There are C&RT sanitary stations which include an Elsan disposal point for emptying cassettes. 

haggis

yes of course, but its not an environmentally friendly method of biological waste disposal, as having added hazardous chemical, it then becomes a hazardous waste.

If you flush you own loo at home, it enters a sewerage system, and is treated to become a less hazardous waste, a small amount of loo cleaner does not make it hazardous waste.

I would like to add a chemical which is environmentaly friendly, , but everyone would have to use it, and that would be difficult to police.

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

yes of course, but its not an environmentally friendly method of biological waste disposal, as having added hazardous chemical, it then becomes a hazardous waste.

If you flush you own loo at home, it enters a sewerage system, and is treated to become a less hazardous waste, a small amount of loo cleaner does not make it hazardous waste.

I would like to add a chemical which is environmentaly friendly, , but everyone would have to use it, and that would be difficult to police.

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought perhaps you weren't aware of sanitary stations, I agree that the use of chemicals is not environmentally friendly but as long as boaters use cassettes and add lots of fluid (as opposed to pump outs which don't seem to need anything) we will have the problem. I am not stirring up the cassette versus pump out debate :-) We tend to use yeast in the cassette in Gamebird and don't seem to need anything in Kelpies holding tank which lasts for over six weeks use. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

55 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Where do you think the elsan leads  ?

It is either connected to the main drains, as per your house, or a septic tank or treatment station from which the 'contents' are taken by tanker to the sewage works where it is treated and joins your household sewage.

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

To my mind it's all a matter of degree - it seems to have a swift leak into a hedgerow on your own, but not if of Glastonbury numbers.

Elsan's are quite different as most people use Blue which is highly toxic. I made the mistake  of assuming that Hurley lock's facilities were connected to the public sewer - it's not. The loos are connected however. My mistake. So the Lavender boat has to collect the Elsan waste and take it away separately to be treated as hazardous waste, which is expensive.  Subject to delays as there's only one boat and it covers the whole river.

If everybody used a biological additive then the problem would be a matter of 'good practice'  rather than a potential public danger. Not that I think it's acceptable anyway. 

Or no additive at all. We have never added any additives to our tank and there is no smell from it at all.

Adequate ventilation is the key.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Don't add anything then other then wee and poo.

• Greenie 1