OK to empty cassette in towpath hedge?

mross

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, mross said:

In our marina the office and toilet blocks drain into a reed bed treatment system.  But the pump out goes into a tank which has to be emptied by a road tanker.

Many reed bed systems include a septic tank to settle out the solids.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Storm water from roofs and paves areas goes into a separate system

A couple of contributors have made a similar comment so conveniently just using this reference. Many rainwater discharges are directed into the main sewer. Here in the South West a charge is levied on the water bill for those properties that do so. In the event of a property (like ours) using its own sceptic tank charges are reduced. All new properties  have unless a special dispensation provide a rain water soakaway located a minimum of 5 metres from a home and designed to specific capacity against rain water history records following a perculation test. This may not apply nationally however.

40 minutes ago, mross said:

In our marina the office and toilet blocks drain into a reed bed treatment system.  But the pump out goes into a tank which has to be emptied by a road tanker.

And where do you suppose the tanker takes it? To a sewage treatment works. 

7 minutes ago, jddevel said:

A couple of contributors have made a similar comment so conveniently just using this reference. Many rainwater discharges are directed into the main sewer. Here in the South West a charge is levied on the water bill for those properties that do so. In the event of a property (like ours) using its own sceptic tank charges are reduced. All new properties  have unless a special dispensation provide a rain water soakaway located a minimum of 5 metres from a home and designed to specific capacity against rain water history records following a perculation test. This may not apply nationally however.

In The Midlands (Severn Trent Water) we are charged for...

• Fresh Water usage (m3 metered) 
  • Waste Water disposal (same quantity as above but a lower rate)
  • Surface Water drainage (fixed charge based on rateable value of the property)

There is a note on our bills to the effect that if the surface water doesn't drain into ST's sewers (in other words, if we had a soakaway) then we could have the bill reduced but I've not heard that this is standard on all new properties, not in this area.

20 minutes ago, WotEver said:

There is a note on our bills to the effect that if the surface water doesn't drain into ST's sewers (in other words, if we had a soakaway) then we could have the bill reduced but I've not heard that this is standard on all new properties, not in this area.

Strange thing is that the charge appears to be levied because of the additional "work" involved but to my mind the additional water flow could both help maintain sewers and help dilute effluent. Interesting to note these charges only appeared after privatization.

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Interesting to note these charges only appeared after privatization.

I love the two charges for 'supply' and 'waste'. Even if I used 100% of my supply to water my garden I still get charged for waste at the same quantity as 'supply'. So why not just lump the two together?

As for the charge for Surface Water this isn't new. Prior to privatisation a mate of mine who ran a taxi business put a static caravan round the back of a social club to use as his office. No mains water to it so he was surprised when he got a Water Rates bill. He queried this and was told that it was for 'surface water drainage'. Pointing out to the water board that no extra rain fell on that bit of land just because he now had an  office on it fell on deaf ears. 

14 minutes ago, pig said:

I don't believe it!

My bill has two headings. First is a water charge-metered and the second sewerage. This last charge is NIL. Accordingly my bill is reduced as I do not incur a sewerage charge. This applies in the South West to all properties with a private treatment plant.

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

As for the charge for Surface Water this isn't new

My error- judgement clouded by corporate experience and tarring all with the same brush. My apologies for an incorrect statement. Been watching to many politicians spouting lately. Sort of thing they`d say!!!!!

5 minutes ago, jddevel said:

My bill has two headings. First is a water charge-metered and the second sewerage. This last charge is NIL. Accordingly my bill is reduced as I do not incur a sewerage charge. This applies in the South West to all properties with a private treatment plant.

I think pig was having a gentle dig, and got 2 greenies for it.  Made me chuckle, anyway.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Once thru' the sewage woks it is discharged into the river, where it becomes diluted by 'another million' times.

Hell's teeth, what do you know about Chinese restaurants that the rest of us don't?

On 25/06/2017 at 15:56, stegra said:

If biological washing capsules are used instead of blue additive then the cassette can safely be emptied into a regular toilet. There'll be nothing in there that wouldn't go into the regular sewers.

Is this novel use recommended and supported by the biological washing capsule manufacturers?

If not, why not?

10 hours ago, jddevel said:

That's fine if soakaways work in your area. Where we are they rarely work due to the clay strata.

The hieracy for surface water disposal is always soakaways, then to watercourse, next would be surface water sewer and finally as a last resort to combined sewers.

3 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Read and re-read my comment and I`m afraid the remarks need explaining to me. What am I not seeing or understanding?

11 hours ago, jddevel said:

sceptic tank

34 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That's fine if soakaways work in your area. Where we are they rarely work due to the clay strata.

I was predominately thinking of many Victorian properties etc which just disperse for example into the road or basically to the ground surface however many were also connected directly to the main sewer. 

Thanks Wotever. How often we read and re-read something and our brain sees what it wants to see. Or in my case just bad at spelling!!!

16 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I was predominately thinking of many Victorian properties etc which just disperse for example into the road or basically to the ground surface however many were also connected directly to the main sewer

But those properties effectively drain into the water company's sewers anyway if it runs into the road. Only a purpose-built soakaway would avoid any involvement of drains/sewers. 

One of CaRT's License Support Officers is going to have a word.  He will walk the towpath nearby and try and find the boat.  I think the perpetrator might be ignorant of the rules as he made no attempt to hide what he was doing!

46 minutes ago, mross said:

One of CaRT's License Support Officers is going to have a word.  He will walk the towpath nearby and try and find the boat.  I think the perpetrator might be ignorant of the rules as he made no attempt to hide what he was doing!

...or indeed what he had done.

That is good news, thanks for reporting it.

15 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I emailed our water company asking whether I could put the content of my cassette down the loo. They said it would be prosecutible as an illegal discharge.

Although I no longer moor there, I am on the email list for Aston Marina. A recent email said that their elsan disposal had to be into a holding tank as it was illegal to connect it to the main sewer (because of 'blue' etc).

I thought that some elsans were connected directly to a sewer.

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

Although I no longer moor there, I am on the email list for Aston Marina. A recent email said that their elsan disposal had to be into a holding tank as it was illegal to connect it to the main sewer (because of 'blue' etc).

I thought that some elsans were connected directly to a sewer.

This is news to me too. 

Some CRT Elsan disposal points have signs saying they are connected to a tank not the mains drains. Consequently I deduced those without the notice ARE connected to the mains drains. 

So now I'm confused...