Dunham Toll Pontoon

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Has anyone stopped overnight on Dunham pontoon on the Trent?  I've never seen any boats on it, but there appears to be a reasonable pub or two in the village.  

And in fact it would be useful for when I'm going up on the evening flood from Torksey, and catch the early one next morning.

But the pontoon seems not to be used.

If you stay - just make sure that you inform the Lockies (either as you leave Torksey, or by VHF) of your intention.

The Lockies pass on details of 'departing boats' to the other lockies, and, if one doesn't arrive within a reasonable time of being expected then the 'alarms go off'

I had a right old 'bollocking' from one lockie for arriving 2 hours 'late' after having stopped to help someone 'stuck on the bottom'- he said I should have called to inform them - you just don't think about it until its pointed out to you.

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I think it's not used much for two reasons.

Most travelling are heading to get off the tidal stretch.

The bridge above is busy and in continuous use.

How is that significant?  TBH, One of the reasons I asked was I vaguely remember someone having 'trouble' in the vicinity some time ago; an air rifle was involved.  I don't want to emphasise that side of it, but I would be a small boat overnighting as a singlehander.

As I said, it would be useful to get a good start on an early morning flood (early July), and tick a pub off my list.

I know about keeping the lockies informed.

I stopped ar Dunham bridge  last year for the first time , with another boat.  No problem. don't recall traffic noise issues .

By the way I am on the pontoon  in the cut at Torksey now !

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

When we did keadby to torksey we arrived at dusk, lockie had gone home, there was no emergency rescue callout. We did wonder at the time what would have happened if...........?

Regardless of lock keeping hours there is no emergency rescue service provided by C&RT or their lock keepers .  The lock keeping hours are available on the C&RT website.

6 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

When we did keadby to torksey we arrived at dusk, lockie had gone home, there was no emergency rescue callout. We did wonder at the time what would have happened if...........?

You get on with it and extract yourself from the situation you got yourself into.

7 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

It's been a very long time since the lock keepers on BW's tidal locks along the Trent were either instructed to, or would routinely, wait for pleasure craft on passage or, would voluntarily do so out of hours and out of a genuine concern for their safety and wellbeing - probably some 30 - 35 years or more ago. Almost without exception back then, the lock keepers were drawn from the ranks of ex-bargemen/boatmen who knew the river and it's tides, everyone of them lived at their locks, and they were only too well aware of the potential dangers which some of the inexperienced and often unwary crews of pleasure craft were, and still are, blissfully unaware of.

Edited by PhilAtterley

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 16:29, Naughty Cal said:

You get on with it and extract yourself from the situation you got yourself into.

I know that and am capable and prepared, some may not be aware of the dangers. Of course they should be, do research etc before they go, etc etc.

I was commenting on Alan's post but forgot to quote it, forgetting the pedants would descend en masse.

"If you stay - just make sure that you inform the Lockies (either as you leave Torksey, or by VHF) of your intention.

The Lockies pass on details of 'departing boats' to the other lockies, and, if one doesn't arrive within a reasonable time of being expected then the 'alarms go off'

I had a right old 'bollocking' from one lockie for arriving 2 hours 'late' after having stopped to help someone 'stuck on the bottom'- he said I should have called to inform them - you just don't think about it until its pointed out to you"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 16:57, PhilAtterley said:

It's been a very long time since the lock keepers on BW's tidal locks along the Trent were either instructed to, or would routinely, wait for pleasure craft on passage or, would voluntarily do so out of hours and out of a genuine concern for their safety and wellbeing - probably some 30 - 35 years or more ago. Almost without exception back then, the lock keepers were drawn from the ranks of ex-bargemen/boatmen who knew the river and it's tides, everyone of them lived at their locks, and they were only too well aware of the potential dangers which some of the inexperienced and often unwary crews of pleasure craft were, and still are, blissfully unaware of.

We came down from Cromwell on Thursday, pushing the flood for the first hour. We arrived at Torksey after 3 1/4 hour and called up the lock on VHF but no response. Moored on the pontoon and walked round to the lock keepers office which was unlocked but no one in. Went into the café to find a CRT employee who said he wasn't Lockie but if I returned to boat he would sort it out. After being locked up by the same CRT chap he said that Lockie had gone to collect his car after being MOT. So much for expecting us.

The lock keeper at Cromwell said he used to be BW tug skipper back in the 90s.

Edited by pearley

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

We came down from Cromwell on Thursday, pushing the flood for the first hour. We arrived at Torksey after 3 1/4 hour and called up the lock on VHF but no response. Moored on the pontoon and walked round to the lock keepers office which was unlocked but no one in. Went into the café to find a CRT employee who said he wasn't Lockie but if I returned to boat he would sort it out. After being locked up by the same CRT chap he said that Lockie had gone to collect his car after being MOT. So much for expecting us.

That would be Sean, he used to have the "Robin Hood". His advice is well worth heeding, . . . make the most of him while you can, he's the last of the line.

2 hours ago, PhilAtterley said:

That would be Sean, he used to have the "Robin Hood". His advice is well worth heeding, . . . make the most of him while you can, he's the last of the line.

Yes, had a long talk with him about boats I'd remembered from when we hired from Dougie Banks back in the 90s. Lent him some books about boats on the Trent and will collect them on our way back in August.

On 15/07/2017 at 14:10, pearley said:

One of the current lock keepers at Torksey is also a tug skipper. He prefers his work on the tug but has been told he is working Torksey as and when needed. Nice chap.