Deck Paint

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've just taken my bow deck back to steel, got rid of all the rust and applied 3 coats of epoxy (Jotamastic 87), 2 coats of Hemple primer/undercoat and finished it with a couple of coats of International Interdeck.

So not overkill then?

but, joking apart, is the epoxy designed to go on without any pre [steel] primer. As it is often easier to slap some primer on as the storm clouds approach................

What is the advantage of epoxy,    rather than  primer [x3], undercoat [x3], topcoat [x2]?

Edited by LadyG

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So not overkill then?

but, joking apart, is the epoxy designed to go on without any pre [steel] primer. As it is often easier to slap some primer on as the storm clouds approach................

What is the advantage of epoxy,    rather than  primer [x3], undercoat [x3], topcoat [x2]?

No that's not overkill on a "high-traffic" steel deck. I'd painted it before with conventional primer, undercoat and deck paint, but it didn't last.

Yes, the epoxy is designed to go onto properly prepped bare steel, so it's being used as the primer. The advantage of epoxy paint systems is that they are much longer lasting and will still last in underwater areas. Often used on underwater steel structures and boat hulls, but also useful for the floors of gas lockers and bow well decks which often stay wet/damp for long periods.

http://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Download?url=%2FTDS%2FTDS__523__Jotamastic 87 Aluminium__Euk__GB.pdf 

Edited by blackrose

I used Jotun quick step deck paint and it certainly went off quickly. However it is to hard and has literally cracked. It now has to be taken off and back to bare steel. It's red oxide primer and sikkens af this time and see how that works. At present it's 35 c in central France so not much point putting any paint on as can't even touch the decks. When we had narrow boats always used red oxide primer and red oxide paint on gunwales and foredeck. Easy to touch up and always looked good.

the jotun product has since been withdrawn, just my luck to use it.

david